New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 11, 2015, 11:39 AM
Find More Posts by lv2soar
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Mar 2004
1,318 Posts
Discussion
Welders Glue alternative

I love to use Welders glue on epp foam except it tend to turn yellow after couple weeks
What alternative glue can be used on EPP foam?
lv2soar is offline Find More Posts by lv2soar
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2015, 12:50 PM
Find More Posts by birdofplay
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
9,137 Posts
strongrcmotors.com has something he calls FoamCure
4oz $4.50
birdofplay is online now Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Apr 11, 2015, 08:27 PM
Find More Posts by Sixter
Flying Models for 52 Years!
Georgia, United States
Joined Oct 2002
876 Posts
I build exclusively with EPP. In the beginning I used Weders, I had issues with it turning Yellow and getting Brittle over time. Now I use Beacon's Foam Tac Glue. It works and acts just like Welders Glue but it does not turn Yellow or does not become Brittle! Give it a try! If you like Welders you will Love Foam Tac

Bobby
Sixter is offline Find More Posts by Sixter
Old Apr 11, 2015, 08:59 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Mar 2004
1,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixter View Post
I build exclusively with EPP. In the beginning I used Weders, I had issues with it turning Yellow and getting Brittle over time. Now I use Beacon's Foam Tac Glue. It works and acts just like Welders Glue but it does not turn Yellow or does not become Brittle! Give it a try! If you like Welders you will Love Foam Tac

Bobby

Hey Bobby
Do you use it like Welders? Can it be used for hinges?
Thanks
Old Apr 12, 2015, 07:10 AM
Find More Posts by rcrich
When pigs fly rc
USA, NY, Chester
Joined Apr 2008
2,582 Posts
I use foamtac as well! Great for hinges!
rcrich is offline Find More Posts by rcrich
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: flying penguin
Old Apr 12, 2015, 07:33 AM
Find More Posts by dz1sfb
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
11,213 Posts
Foam Tac by Beacon and Foam Cure by Bob Smith Ind. are very similar, in there application and both speed a build along significantly. However there are some notable differences.

1. Foam Tac seems to be more solvent based. Too much in a polystyrene joint and no place for it to vent or outgas and it will eat foam. Remains flexible after curing. It is a bit pricey.

2. Foam Cure does not attack polystyrene and it dries hard. Easier to sand if needed and is not flexible after curing. About half the price of Foam Tac.

EPP being a more flexible material, Foam Tac is the better solution. Also EPP is less susceptible to solvent adhesives and therefore holds up better to the curing process.

Polystyrene (aka MPF, FFF, XPS, Depron) is stiffer and does not need the flexibility of EPP is the perfect candidate for Foam Cure.

I use both materials along with Gorilla Glue White Formula. It all depends on the application.

Ken
dz1sfb is online now Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Apr 12, 2015, 08:44 AM
Find More Posts by eflightray
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
14,797 Posts
I used Gorilla Glue quite a bit, (can foam up a bit too much unless the excess is wiped), but it was rather expensive here in the UK.

I found the Evo-Stik do a Polyurethane Wood Glue that works just about the same.

A search in your own areas for 'polyurethane wood glue' should find other alternatives.
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Apr 12, 2015, 08:54 AM
Find More Posts by RonJ
Sparta,WI,USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,698 Posts
I have been very pleased with this product from HeadsUp. works on all foams and relatively in -expensive.

RonJ

Home >> GLUE & ADHESIVES >> Foam Safe Adhesives >> Flexible Foam Glue >> BSI Foam-Cure EPP Foam Glue - 4 oz. bottle
BSI Foam-Cure EPP Foam Glue - 4 oz. bottle

Item #: H-500
1BSI Foam-Cure can be used on Depron, EPS, EPP, XPS, EPO and many other types of foam, as well as carbon fiber and wood -- making it an excellent glue for RC planes. BSI Foam-Cure will not attack, melt or dissolve foams but holds quickly and cleanly. It remains clear and flexible once dry and does not become brittle.

Instructions for Use:

•ALWAYS test on scrap materials first to ensure compatibility.
•Surfaces must be clean, dry and free of dust and grease.
•Spread glue evenly on both sides of material to be bonded.
•Allow surfaces to air dry for 30 seconds to 10 minutes, depending upon size of area being glued.
•Press surfaces firmly together.
•Maximum bond is achieved in 12 hours.

Precautions:

•FLAMMABLE: Do not use near open flame or ignition source.
•Eye, skin and respiratory irritant. Avoid prolonged inhalation of vapors.
•Keep out of reach of children.
* Marked fields are required.
Qty*
Price $4.95

On EPP I have been using a product I get from WalMart called E-6000. Big tube, don't yellow and good price.
RonJ is offline Find More Posts by RonJ
Last edited by RonJ; Apr 12, 2015 at 09:07 AM.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 10:39 AM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Mar 2004
1,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb View Post
Foam Tac by Beacon and Foam Cure by Bob Smith Ind. are very similar, in there application and both speed a build along significantly. However there are some notable differences.

1. Foam Tac seems to be more solvent based. Too much in a polystyrene joint and no place for it to vent or outgas and it will eat foam. Remains flexible after curing. It is a bit pricey.

2. Foam Cure does not attack polystyrene and it dries hard. Easier to sand if needed and is not flexible after curing. About half the price of Foam Tac.

EPP being a more flexible material, Foam Tac is the better solution. Also EPP is less susceptible to solvent adhesives and therefore holds up better to the curing process.

Polystyrene (aka MPF, FFF, XPS, Depron) is stiffer and does not need the flexibility of EPP is the perfect candidate for Foam Cure.

I use both materials along with Gorilla Glue White Formula. It all depends on the application.

Ken

Ken, thank you for sharing, great info
Old Apr 12, 2015, 10:52 AM
Find More Posts by Low and Slow
United States, WA, Moses Lake
Joined Feb 2012
503 Posts
I honestly can't tell the difference between foam tac and foam cure. I was running out of foam tac and I ordered foam cure cause I just couldn't hit the buy now button on foam tac being 12 bucks for two ounces. In using it it seems the same to me. I don't know about being more brittle or not though.

I'm happy with it
Low and Slow is online now Find More Posts by Low and Slow
Old Apr 12, 2015, 11:36 AM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Mar 2004
1,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixter View Post

Bobby
Where to buy Foam Tac?
Old Apr 12, 2015, 12:21 PM
Find More Posts by Low and Slow
United States, WA, Moses Lake
Joined Feb 2012
503 Posts
headsuphobby has both
Low and Slow is online now Find More Posts by Low and Slow
Old Apr 12, 2015, 02:46 PM
Find More Posts by aerojunkie
United States, NC, Kannapolis
Joined Jul 2012
110 Posts
For epp you can get a tube of beacon 3 in 1, it dries clear and works similar to the welders. Its what me and several of my flying buddies use. If you use the 40% off coupon on the hobbylobby website you can get it for about $3.50 a bottle. Shipping from them aint cheap but probably a store or two close by.

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/...t-glue-769117/
aerojunkie is online now Find More Posts by aerojunkie
Old Apr 12, 2015, 04:20 PM
Find More Posts by Sixter
Flying Models for 52 Years!
Georgia, United States
Joined Oct 2002
876 Posts
Foam Tac Hinges are made the same way you make Welders Hinges! For more info there is a Beacon Foam Tac Thread here in the Scratchbuilt Forum. You can also find good info on You Tube!

Foam Tac Thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...light=foam+tac

I buy my Foam Tac off E-Bay
Sixter is offline Find More Posts by Sixter