Old Sep 28, 2014, 07:16 PM
UH-60 Blackhawk Mechanic
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Feb 2004
2,873 Posts
Discussion
Issue with heli spooling up at 0 stick after throttle hold disengaged

hello all,
I am having a weird issue with my 500 I just finished building. I think it is probably the ESC I am using.

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...dProduct=22521

I am running a 6S battery and I am using a DX6i for my radio. I have setup hundreds of helis but this is a new problem to me!
a minute or so after I am sitting at zero throttle or while throttle hold is engaged the esc will re-arm (plays tune). If I am using throttle hold and switch it off the heli will spool up even though I am at zero throttle.
I tried to calibrate the esc by going to full throttle and plugging in then going to zero to set the throttle stick endpoints but that didn't fix it. I also programmed the esc but it seems like it only has the first 4 programmable features and is missing 5-6 and 7. it only goes up to the 4th setting.

My other question is when I first plug in the plays a tune and the beeps 3 times. I know with most esc's the number of beeps relates to the number of cells. It beeps 3 times weather I plug in my 3S/4S or 6S pack......

The esc works, but seems rather........ wonky

Any ideas guys?
Thanks,
Brandon
helifrek is offline Find More Posts by helifrek
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2014, 07:33 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,280 Posts
The DX6i has an offset between the zero in throttle hold, and the regular throttle zero. If you look in the monitor screen you can see the jump. You can raise the throttle hold to around 17% to eliminate the jump.
Never used that ESC.
Roto Rob is offline Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Sep 29, 2014, 01:23 PM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
5,092 Posts
If your hearing those beeps and their not the battery cell count , then the throttle is reversed or it sees the throttle on. Their really designed for planes as a plug and play , I used those on the 450 but got the card programmable ones .
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Old Sep 29, 2014, 03:32 PM
Chicago 'burbs
Joined May 2006
1,697 Posts
As noted by Roto Rob, you need to set your TH throttle curve to 10% for the DX6i.

If you check any of the HH BNF helis, you will see they always give this value for the DX6i.

It is obviously a bug in the transmitter firmware.

If you set zero for TH, the transmitter is actually outputting a lower value than "zero" that you get in the other modes (like "normal" and "Stunt"). If your hell is plugged into a pack with TH on in the DX6i, then the ESC sees this value as the "new zero". When you switch out of TH to normal with the stick at zero, the ESC sees a higher throttle value than what it just saw in TH, and so it spools up.
Alan Hahn is offline Find More Posts by Alan Hahn
Old Sep 29, 2014, 04:50 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,280 Posts
I did notice the Throttle Hold offset was more on my older DX6i, than my newer one. So I use the monitor screen, or more accurately an oscilloscope to match them, by raising the throttle hold value.
Roto Rob is offline Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Sep 29, 2014, 06:20 PM
UH-60 Blackhawk Mechanic
Joined Feb 2004
2,873 Posts
huh, never knew that! this is probably my 5th or 6th DX6i and never had this happen to me.
I will change my TH to 10% and report back.

Thanks guys!
Old Yesterday, 09:50 PM
UH-60 Blackhawk Mechanic
Joined Feb 2004
2,873 Posts
You guys are awesome. Putting TH at 11.5% solved the issue of it spooling up after turning TH off!
ESC still beeps at me if let sitting for awhile but I am not going to complain, Was only $18.
Trying to see how cheaply I can build an HK-500!

Thanks again guys,
Brandon