SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 08, 2014, 10:28 PM
United States, VA, Fredericksburg
Joined Aug 2014
9 Posts
Discussion
Got a Ricky bike for 20$!

I bought a ricky carmichael cr250r bike for 20$ off my friend in the hopes that I could make it something cool to play with.

For starters, it's just the bike alone, complete, yet no rider, no battery, no transmitter. Before I start piecing all the stock parts together from eBay, can anyone offer any advice on where else to get parts? Tips on this bike? This is my first rc dirtbike. Thanks
RadioShackRick is offline Find More Posts by RadioShackRick
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2014, 01:08 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,763 Posts
If you need parts, ebay is it. If you don't find exact part on ebay, you'll have to buy another bike for spare parts. There are dozens of old ricky threads in this forum dating back to release, so learning the search function and just reading up on specific discussions you'll learn tons.
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Old Aug 13, 2014, 10:17 AM
Joined Aug 2014
9 Posts
Thanks, I found these 2 items and got in contact with the seller and he was able to let me know the bike is band 1 so I found a matching remote! Thanks for the help I guess I will continue research and find out what battery and charger I need. I'd like to be able get more performance than the stock setup without hurting anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMc View Post
If you need parts, ebay is it. If you don't find exact part on ebay, you'll have to buy another bike for spare parts. There are dozens of old ricky threads in this forum dating back to release, so learning the search function and just reading up on specific discussions you'll learn tons.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 01:05 PM
Editor, RCCA
Joined Nov 2004
3,177 Posts
You can safely replace the stock 550 motor with a 19-turn 540, which will yield a few more MPH out of it. Past that, you will have to replace all the electronics, as the stock servo is a 5-wire thing and the receiver and ESC are a single unit.

A standard size servo sandwiched in a couple of sheets of plastic (an old CD jewelbox is a good source) clamps in nicely where the stock servo goes. Secure it with a few dabs of Shoe-Goo and you're good to go. Add a cheap 2.4GHz radio and a budget brushless motor setup, and you'll have worn out the tires before you know it.
Guidoracer is offline Find More Posts by Guidoracer
Old Aug 15, 2014, 06:48 PM
Joined Aug 2014
9 Posts
Thanks Guidoracer, I got the other ricky bike in today, it seems fully in tact, I am waiting for my 3000mah battery and the transmitter tomorrow. I guess I will see if it works! Next week I will order a 19 turn 540!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guidoracer View Post
You can safely replace the stock 550 motor with a 19-turn 540, which will yield a few more MPH out of it. Past that, you will have to replace all the electronics, as the stock servo is a 5-wire thing and the receiver and ESC are a single unit.

A standard size servo sandwiched in a couple of sheets of plastic (an old CD jewelbox is a good source) clamps in nicely where the stock servo goes. Secure it with a few dabs of Shoe-Goo and you're good to go. Add a cheap 2.4GHz radio and a budget brushless motor setup, and you'll have worn out the tires before you know it.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 05:32 PM
Joined Aug 2014
9 Posts
Got my transmitter and 3000mah today and did my 1st run. A lot harder to control than I thought but it seems to work as it should (to my knowledge anyway). I even strapped my cam to ol ricky and made a video even though I crashed shortly after.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:16 PM
Joined Aug 2014
9 Posts
My 19 turn trinity double 540 motor came in alone with my new 6 cell venom pack. I have no idea how to begin to swap motors. I know I need to swap the 2 but I've never soldered ( but I have a kit) and I also don't know how to swap the pinion gears. Help!