HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 14, 2013, 09:50 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
United States, NJ, Hillsborough Township
Joined Sep 2011
1,574 Posts
Discussion
Lighting some foamies, turning pile of parts into beauty

Ok, I've put up some posts here in the past and am now edging back into doing some light work.

Building two night flyers, one exists, one I am trying to bang out this week.

First plane is a super EZ, two pics of the existing plane are attached, one from when I was building it, one from a crash. Huge prop in slot paper airplane, the lights will be very simple, a stripe down each wing near the edge, LEDs facing into the Dollar Tree foam. One strip down the fuse near the bottom.

Second one is a firefly, 24" ws EPP delta, some pics with lighting on them here. Will be trying to build this week.

I have lots of LEDs from Bombay, several 3s Female JST-XH balance tap pigtails, plenty of small gauge wire, even a batch of brushed ESCs pic attached.

Both nightflyers will be on 3s 1300-1800 type lipos.

I know I can use a brushed esc to hook up lights to the gear channel, but the exact configuration is eluding me. Similar with the female balance tap pigtail, I know I can run off the balance taps on the lips, do I just run the wire from the LEDs to the two outside leads on the pigtail and ignore the inside leads?
BrownEyedFool is offline Find More Posts by BrownEyedFool
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2013, 11:08 AM
Dark Yet??
United States, VA, Narrows
Joined Dec 2009
1,501 Posts
If you are using 3S batteries they attach directly to LED strip. No other devices needed unless you want to dim or flash them.

A connector that attaches to the balance tap can give you an alternate place to acquire power without cutting into the ESC wiring. Use the two outside wires on 3S, always double check with a voltmeter.
Barn-E-Stormer is offline Find More Posts by Barn-E-Stormer