HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:44 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,456 Posts
"Les - it is not about that. I switched long before most - as I saw the huge advantages and candidly saw the most reliable RF link I had ever had in the world of RC. It is more reliable, more robust and more connected than anything 72MHz."

If what you say about 72 vs 2.4 is true, I should have way more problems, being on 50. The only reliability problems I have had, was when I was designing and building my own equipment, and did not do things quite right.

Les
LesUyeda is offline Find More Posts by LesUyeda
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:10 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,371 Posts
Many people prefer to stay on 72 MHz. I had few problems on 72. With more and more moving to 2.4 the issue of channel conflict is less and less.

I moved over to 2.4 last year because I was going to the NATs. I believe this year only 2.4 will be flown for some NATs events. And many of the big regionals are going 2.4 only. Eliminates the burden of an impound and Freq control.

Im am not aware of any date to expire 72 mhz for rc aircraft, so if you are happy on 72, stay on 72.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Jan 21, 2013 at 07:38 PM.
Old May 07, 2013, 07:46 PM
United States, OH, Galloway
Joined Aug 2008
38 Posts
Ummm.... I still fly my fishing rod models as there are no frequency issues with others, plus I was able to get big $$ receivers cheap!! So I will stay on 72 till I go to a contest or flyin that requires 2.4. Not to mention, if I show up with a 72 radio and it is a 2.4 only event, I pull out the old" Well, you take my 72 MHz and divide by 30 = 2.4 so I can fly ....right?
"
YAT-28E is offline Find More Posts by YAT-28E
Old May 07, 2013, 07:49 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAT-28E View Post
Ummm.... I still fly my fishing rod models as there are no frequency issues with others, plus I was able to get big $$ receivers cheap!! So I will stay on 72 till I go to a contest or flyin that requires 2.4. Not to mention, if I show up with a 72 radio and it is a 2.4 only event, I pull out the old" Well, you take my 72 MHz and divide by 30 = 2.4 so I can fly ....right?
"
And they will say - no you can't fly at this event, sorry.

Just a quick story - we had an event at the club last year. We had 60+ pilots. Two on 72MHz. Both with the same frequency. Guess what? Yep one of those guys bought the other guy a brand new airplane after shooting him down.

Stay as long as you wish - but I would never go back.

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old May 07, 2013, 10:19 PM
Eggcellent...
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Oct 2006
2,438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesUyeda View Post
Why give up/replace perfectly good radio equipment just "keep up with the Jones's?
I'll give you one very good reason...and it's why I switched back in 2008: the moron who shows up at the field on your band, and on your channel, and just turns on.

The last time it happened to me, we were practicing F3B launches ($2,000 airframes) and I was in between flights at the Rose Bowl (SoCal). Noticed a guy drive up on the other side of the field, get his heli out, turn on, and start flying. Our frequency scanner showed he was on my channel. We went over and said WTH? He said "oh yeah, I turned on and nothing happened, so I just started flying..."

Tom
tewatson is offline Find More Posts by tewatson