SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 31, 2012, 08:16 PM
United States, CO, Castle Rock
Joined Dec 2009
139 Posts
Build Log
A-10 Warthog - Steerable Electric Retract?

I'm getting close to maiden my blue core A-10. Wingspan is ~56 inches. The fuse, airfoil, and tail assembly have been hotwired from a series of plywood templates I cut out.

I'm not good at documenting my steps. But the plans were pulled off web diagrams and I scaled it to the desired size.

In the past I've learned to overcome the nose down/thrust issues. (The hard way) so I hope this one goes well. I still consider this a prototype. I wont paint or do much touch up until I verify things first. If good I will add some lws and give er some paint.

So for now... I am keeping it very simple with fixed landing gear. The horizontal stab has a 3 degree neg incidence to overcome the nose down issue. The nacelles are level/horizontal. (i.e. I didn't angle the thrust tubes upward) But I did build the engine nacelles/pods with thrust tubes and magnetic access hatches. I also built the power system so I can detach it and adjust the angle until I know its where I need it.

I need to run my wires, hook up control links, add a few servos, horner wing tips, and hook up my esc's.

Either way, should be fun......

below are some pics. I can add more later as I go. Wish me luck. I may cram on it and try to complete it for this holiday weekend.
bamiller is offline Find More Posts by bamiller
Last edited by bamiller; Mar 01, 2013 at 07:51 AM. Reason: title change
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2012, 05:08 AM
USA
Joined Apr 2007
2,397 Posts
my 2cent a10 has high wing load need CF in wing. all so weak fuse at canopy. what power set up
space 1 is offline Find More Posts by space 1
Old Sep 01, 2012, 10:10 AM
Joined Dec 2009
139 Posts
I do put cf in the wing. In the past I've also found weakness in the fuse just at or behind the wing area. So I will brace that with cf strips or basswood perhaps.

Power setup is dual 64mm fans running 4K kv motors on 3s 11.1v. I'm primarily concerned with the nose down pitch issues and long runway takeoffs. I know the A-10 has the pitch down tendency.

I started on the horner tips last night and steering wheel assembly. I'll post some updated and closer pics later today.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 02:36 PM
USA
Joined Apr 2007
2,397 Posts
nose down
hold under wing at CG hit throttle if it noses down reset nacelle angle
space 1 is offline Find More Posts by space 1
Old Sep 01, 2012, 05:47 PM
Joined Dec 2009
139 Posts
I made ad-hoc horner tips today just with scrap foam. Before and after pics below. May need to sand and shape a bit more.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 06:22 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
B, nice job so far, keep up the good work. W
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Sep 03, 2012, 08:31 AM
Joined Dec 2009
139 Posts
Thanks W!! I started putting my esc's and wires in last night. I started getting concerned on the weight. I don't have a scale right now but I do have a habit being over concerned with weight. I know I'm being subjective so I will try to get a new scale.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 12:22 PM
Joined Dec 2009
139 Posts
Ok, yesterday I got all the linkages in place and dropped the guts in. I still need to shape the nose cone and make minor adjustments. But itís good enough for a maiden. (I never paint or perfect before maidens )

However, last night I couldnít stand it and had to perform a taxi test. I ran it to the local turf field near my home. This was right at dusk so visibility was poor. I wanted to make sure the fixed gear was strong and I didnít have alignment issues. Plus I need to get a feel on the nose down push the A-10 naturally has.

After about 10 yards I hit wot. She tracked pretty straight and I wanted to see just how much ground speed she could reach. After about another 20 yards I couldnít resist and gave it some up elevator. I was thrilled to see the nose come up and another few feet it lifted beautifully off the ground!!

Because it was dark, and I couldnít judge the end field distance I cut the throttle. (I'll admint I was unprepared a bit). She easily floated about 8 ft off the ground perfectly straight and seemed to glide forever before coming down somewhat hard and slightly nose first. (This was good becuase that means my cg calculations were accurate)

So the good news is I believe it will fly nicely and at 55 inches for the wing span, it should be a great model. Also, plenty of throw in the control surfaces...

The bad news is that I did scuff the nose and slightly bent the steering wire. But since I still have to shape and sand some this is minimal.

Attached are some pics with my canopy plug in place.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 11:07 AM
Johannesburg, South Africa
Joined Apr 2006
471 Posts
Awesome stuff.... well done! Looking forward to video! WHat power system etc?
darook is offline Find More Posts by darook
Last edited by darook; Sep 06, 2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 11:24 AM
Capt. Z
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2004
2,577 Posts
Looks GREAT!! keep up the awesome work!!
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Old Sep 06, 2012, 01:53 PM
Joined Dec 2009
139 Posts
Thanks! If only it was as nice as that T-38 I now have further aspirations.

Isn't it amazing what can be done with a $12 sheet of blue foam. :-)
Old Sep 06, 2012, 05:23 PM
Joined Dec 2009
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darook View Post
Awesome stuff.... well done! Looking forward to video! WHat power system etc?
Thanks! I'll be using 64mm fans (nothing fancy). I dbl checked the motors and I believe they are 4kv. Esc's are dynam 40 amp's running off 11.1 skylipos.

Seems to be powerful enough. Especially during the taxi test as it seemed to lift off fairly easy.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 05:51 PM
United States, WA, Shelton
Joined Feb 2012
678 Posts
Looks good! I have toyed with an A10 build, just gotta keep it on the long list Good luck with the maiden! Will watch for a flight report....Greg
Lt599 is offline Find More Posts by Lt599
Old Sep 06, 2012, 06:06 PM
Joined Dec 2009
139 Posts
I know what you mean. Its such a nice plane to fly.

I'm playing hookie tomorrow so I may try to catch a quick video.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 02:26 AM
Johannesburg, South Africa
Joined Apr 2006
471 Posts
I really like the simplistic design. Squarish in places yet so imitative of the real thing. Next thing you know you will be going one step further each time (slowly building confidence) and when you look again you are a scale maestro building planes for the next Top Gun invitational!

Keep up the good stuff!!
darook is offline Find More Posts by darook