Joined Mar 2003
2,842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by extraline View Post
Attention
please set Pitch angle 10-12 degree, Roll 20-25 degree It is very important
i think gain may be 50%-70%
Thanks, Extraline:

Tried increasing the gains to 50% ... re-introduced major oscillations. Needed to go back to 35% to smooth them out. RTH and PA work OK at these 35% levels.

Anything else I could do?

Roger.
Kahnx is offline Find More Posts by Kahnx
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:20 PM
Team Flying Pirates
Joined Nov 2011
193 Posts
@extraline
i have 3 storm osd, one of them burned afetr 1 hour on my table.
maybe the problem started from the gps antenna because i found a small component burned and the cable was damaged by the temperature caused by the short circuit.
also the pcb is damaged

can i send it back to you? can you replace it?
thank you
_ELLIOT_ is offline Find More Posts by _ELLIOT_
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:55 PM
Joined Aug 2005
328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by _ELLIOT_ View Post
@extraline
i have 3 storm osd, one of them burned afetr 1 hour on my table.
maybe the problem started from the gps antenna because i found a small component burned and the cable was damaged by the temperature caused by the short circuit.
also the pcb is damaged

can i send it back to you? can you replace it?
thank you
connect me
email extraline2002@yahoo.com.cn
extraline is offline Find More Posts by extraline
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:03 PM
9W2DLR
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Putrajaya, Putrajaya
Joined Nov 2011
2,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawright89 View Post
Mine fell off also and I unwound 1 turn and re soldered... Works fine..
the plastic case serounding the thing is not critical? Will try to resolder it then, I hope the pad on the pcb still in tact

EDIT:

no luck the part is totalled
skellator is online now Find More Posts by skellator
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by skellator; Dec 17, 2012 at 11:34 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:22 AM
Joined Sep 2010
301 Posts
I have a Cyclops NOVA OSD that I purchased some time ago, but never installed it in my Axn Clouds, mostly because I wanted to reduce system complexity as a beginner, but also due to lack of room in the fuselage .

Now that I've had a decent number of FPV flights under my belt, I'm in the process of moving to a Bixler, mostly because it has more payload capacity. Is it worthwhile to sell the NOVA OSD and go with a Storm instead? Is the RTH functionality improvement worthwhile?

My Fatshark video feed went out on me once, which was absolutely frightening. Luckily I still had picture on my laptop through an Ezcap and was able to land. I'm trying to replicate the issue but haven't had any luck yet. That said, for the sake of safety, I'd like to avoid this sort of situation in the future with a good RTH system.
Zangetsu57 is offline Find More Posts by Zangetsu57
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:37 AM
Youtube: TomRi25
Croatia, City of Zagreb, Zagreb
Joined Aug 2010
715 Posts
try the nova first on your plane, it could work fine.

especially if you unplug the elevator control and connect it to RX directly,
I suggested this so take a look:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post23463848

so if you loose video link, you cen either turn of tx for failsafe to kick in,
or turn rth manually and give enough throttle, and a little of 'up' elevator (stick goes down)
Dr.Tom is offline Find More Posts by Dr.Tom
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:54 PM
United Kingdom, England
Joined Jul 2010
282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skellator View Post
the plastic case serounding the thing is not critical? Will try to resolder it then, I hope the pad on the pcb still in tact

EDIT:

no luck the part is totalled
Bridge the gap, should still work.
mawright is offline Find More Posts by mawright
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:58 PM
Joined Sep 2010
301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Tom View Post
try the nova first on your plane, it could work fine.

especially if you unplug the elevator control and connect it to RX directly,
I suggested this so take a look:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post23463848

so if you loose video link, you cen either turn of tx for failsafe to kick in,
or turn rth manually and give enough throttle, and a little of 'up' elevator (stick goes down)
Thanks for the input, I'll save a few bucks and try the nova OSD first.
Zangetsu57 is offline Find More Posts by Zangetsu57
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:33 PM
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Nov 2011
117 Posts
ok so just sharing my experience thus far concerning the Storm OSD. Purchased my system through HiModel.com, shipping was fast and reasonable. Unfortunately the product ended up being less than satisfactory. First and foremost as a few others have reported the gyro reset function is very hit or miss. The majority of the time I cannot not a achieve a reset, screen locks up flashing "OK" and have waited as long as 10 minutes before finally giving up and disconnecting power. On the rare occasion the reset does work, plane perfectly static and level I will never achieve 0 P=0 R. Always a few degrees off, which gets progressively worse the longer system is powered up. In the evening I can get it as close to leveled out as possible and the next morning power back up only to have Pitch and Roll 40-50 degrees off. Needless to say, I have yet to have a single second of flight time on this osd as the PA and RTH function are completely useless with roaming gyros that wont lock in.....have spent the last three days fooling around with this POS....RVOSD here we come!
mightymouse7717 is offline Find More Posts by mightymouse7717
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:14 PM
Joined Nov 2012
1,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymouse7717 View Post
ok so just sharing my experience thus far concerning the Storm OSD. Purchased my system through HiModel.com, shipping was fast and reasonable. Unfortunately the product ended up being less than satisfactory. First and foremost as a few others have reported the gyro reset function is very hit or miss. The majority of the time I cannot not a achieve a reset, screen locks up flashing "OK" and have waited as long as 10 minutes before finally giving up and disconnecting power. On the rare occasion the reset does work, plane perfectly static and level I will never achieve 0 P=0 R. Always a few degrees off, which gets progressively worse the longer system is powered up. In the evening I can get it as close to leveled out as possible and the next morning power back up only to have Pitch and Roll 40-50 degrees off. Needless to say, I have yet to have a single second of flight time on this osd as the PA and RTH function are completely useless with roaming gyros that wont lock in.....have spent the last three days fooling around with this POS....RVOSD here we come!
What is your setup? 1 battery, 2 battery? Also which camera and which video TX, (how many mW)..
Have you tried the 2 wire fix extraline posted? It would be interesting to know if that solved your problem.
InFocus is offline Find More Posts by InFocus
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:31 PM
Joined Nov 2011
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFocus View Post
What is your setup? 1 battery, 2 battery? Also which camera and which video TX, (how many mW)..
Have you tried the 2 wire fix extraline posted? It would be interesting to know if that solved your problem.
I am on a 2 battery setup, cam is a 12v ReadymadeRC 540 and vtx is 5.8ghz 200mw, both of which being powered through osd board. Believe the cam is pulling 100ma and vtx 150ma plus the osd of course. I dont mind trying the wire jumper, but as I read, it was really more for guys running 1.5w vtx systems, far too much power through osd. I dont understand how rerouting 12v supply with jumpers effects gyro drift??? But man I have it bad, also just noticed the PA function has tendency to lock up after being on a minute or two, regardless of gain setting.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:45 PM
Joined Nov 2011
117 Posts
Should be worth noting, I have a LC filter with a 2A max supplying power to osd....perhaps I should lose the filter, also has the question of ground loops been brought up again or resolved?
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:02 PM
Joined Nov 2012
1,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymouse7717 View Post
Should be worth noting, I have a LC filter with a 2A max supplying power to osd....perhaps I should lose the filter, also has the question of ground loops been brought up again or resolved?
I think the 2 wire fix is related to ground issues. I doubt that the LC filter would be causing an issue.
InFocus is offline Find More Posts by InFocus
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:58 PM
Joined Nov 2011
117 Posts
Two wire mod did not make a bit of difference. oh well, $150 for auto stabilization and RTH did seem too good to be true. Later Cyclops!