SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 22, 2010, 05:06 PM
Aliso Viejo, CA
Joined Sep 2009
548 Posts
Discussion
Where to fly in So. Orange County - Tustin area

I was out with my CASA child this weekend and we found this awesome HUGE field and stopped to fly. We had a great time using the buddy box and he is picking it up pretty well.

After flying, we had the police drive by and tell us we couldn't fly there as it was private property. Well, I spen the better part of this morning trying to find the owners of the lot to get permission to fly there to no avail.

Does anyone know of areas that we can fly a Parkzone Radian and perhaps Parkzone T-28 Trojan that has a large enough field for learning? We have limited resources and can't really travel that far and are in the Tustin area in Southern California.

I've used Google maps and searched for every large grass field within miles and there are a few that I can drive to. I found this large area where the Tustin Marine Air base used to be, but not sure if we can access that or not.

Any ideas on if we can fly there or if there is an area near there we can fly?

Thanks

Ken
Yablonsky is offline Find More Posts by Yablonsky
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2010, 06:47 PM
Joined Jun 2008
65 Posts
I usually go to the local high school football field when there aren't any sports going on. There are many places including public parks, you just have to use them when others don't want to (early morning)
virulosity is offline Find More Posts by virulosity
Old Apr 04, 2010, 09:26 PM
Aliso Viejo, CA
Joined Sep 2009
548 Posts
I'm not from the area....could you be a little more specific?
thanks

Ken
Old Jul 12, 2010, 01:02 PM
*GRAVITY* I hate it :(
USA, CA, Downey
Joined Jan 2010
433 Posts
try the AMA

you might try the AMA web site they list sanctioned clubs I found my club there my club is www.ocrcc.com there is a yearly fee & you have to join the AMA but its worth it lots of frendly people to help you.my club is located in IRVINE.
Sparken57 is offline Find More Posts by Sparken57
Old Jul 12, 2010, 01:49 PM
Foam flogger
Roseville, CA
Joined Apr 2009
1,144 Posts
Yeah, Orange County is pretty tight with your data. I could find you the owner of most parcels in CA, but not in Orange.
Belem is offline Find More Posts by Belem
Old Jul 12, 2010, 01:55 PM
Aliso Viejo, CA
Joined Sep 2009
548 Posts
I've visited the club site at the Great Park and it's not bad. Too few flying spots in my opinion. I do have AMA already and will be getting AMA for my CASA kid...Hopefully soon.

I'm still more prone to flying at Kite Hill and Lilly Shapell park. Just ttrying to find more places for my CASA and me to fly.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 02:08 PM
BigBellyRC
Laguna Niguel, CA
Joined Jul 2010
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yablonsky View Post
I've visited the club site at the Great Park and it's not bad. Too few flying spots in my opinion. I do have AMA already and will be getting AMA for my CASA kid...Hopefully soon.

I'm still more prone to flying at Kite Hill and Lilly Shapell park. Just ttrying to find more places for my CASA and me to fly.
I live in Orange County, with a place in both Irvine & Laguna Niguel. Most cities around here have regulations on the City Parks and/or City School District Fields. Most actually have signs posted that say "No flying of model airplanes or propelled aircraft". Each city is different and you'd have to search on the city's website for regulations. I understand your frustration as I too have searched before only to find "No RC Flying" signs when I get to a new spot.

The OCRCC field at The Great Park is by far the best spot. Its dedicated to RC flying and has all the facilities required and camaraderie of other hobbyists. The only problem is its only open Wednesday, Saturday & Sunday. For after work or after school flying you need other resources.

I've flown at Kite Hill, I have a house about 3min from there. The only problem with Kite Hill is its often windy and more suited for gliders, even though people do fly all kinds of electric planes there, most fly gliders or funjets. The other negative is that its on a hill with not much surface area for a runway to take off or especially land on. Most guys hand-launch and power down into a gliding skid in the short grass/brush.

Lilly Sheppell Park is actually for non-powered gliders only and requires a city permit to fly there... you can and will be cited otherwise. Locals fly sailplanes and gliders there. Since the hill surrounds million dollar homes the residents were having probelms with planes crashing into their property and people jumping their fences to retrieve downed planes. You now have to actually take a 'flight test' with your non-powered glider in order to get a permit to fly. Info can be found here: http://www.ci.laguna-niguel.ca.us/index.aspx?NID=210

There is also Fairview Park in Costa Mesa. The Harbor Soaring Society (HSS)RC Club is based out of there and the field can be flown at by obtaining a city permit (about $20). Here's the park site: http://www.orangecounty.net/html/park-costamesa.html
The rules managed by the HSS can be found here: www.1hss.org/rules

There is also the OCMA Flying Field just East of Irvine in the Santiago Canyon area. Details can be found here: http://flyocma.com/

Also in that neck of the woods there is the Trabuco Flyers flying field in Trabuco Canyon. Details here: http://www.trabucorcflyers.com/

There are several parks and schools that locals fly in the Irvine area (since most of Irvine generally is nice and open with lots of land). You can be creative and try to fly at any school or field without being harrased but its just a risk you have to take, we know we all have before and do.

Here are a few places that locals go that aren't actual RC fields but are pretty safe fields to fly without any problems and usually are unpopulated during off-hours...

Stonegate Elementary School in Irvine, CA: http://www.iusd.org/sg/Directions.html

Alderwood Basics Plus School in Irvine, CA:
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um...ed=0CBcQnwIwAQ

Well, that was an essay but I too have gone through much trouble trying to find the perfect field to fly at with no hassle or people around. Keep searching and honestly take it day by day. There are some fields I've found and flown at that were perfect one day but then everytime I've come back were full of soccer games or people. Good luck!
KellenR is offline Find More Posts by KellenR
Old Jul 29, 2010, 06:14 PM
Aliso Viejo, CA
Joined Sep 2009
548 Posts
Thanks...I'll check out the schools you have listed toward the end there. They look pretty interesting and just what I was looking for...at least from Google Maps perspective.

Ken
Old Feb 05, 2011, 03:47 PM
Garden Grove, CA
Joined Jul 2008
27 Posts
awesome info

thanks for your informative essay bigbellyrc!! i'll definitely try out the school and park that you listed next weekend. or early before work since i work close from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellenR View Post
I live in Orange County, with a place in both Irvine & Laguna Niguel. Most cities around here have regulations on the City Parks and/or City School District Fields. Most actually have signs posted that say "No flying of model airplanes or propelled aircraft". Each city is different and you'd have to search on the city's website for regulations. I understand your frustration as I too have searched before only to find "No RC Flying" signs when I get to a new spot.

The OCRCC field at The Great Park is by far the best spot. Its dedicated to RC flying and has all the facilities required and camaraderie of other hobbyists. The only problem is its only open Wednesday, Saturday & Sunday. For after work or after school flying you need other resources.

I've flown at Kite Hill, I have a house about 3min from there. The only problem with Kite Hill is its often windy and more suited for gliders, even though people do fly all kinds of electric planes there, most fly gliders or funjets. The other negative is that its on a hill with not much surface area for a runway to take off or especially land on. Most guys hand-launch and power down into a gliding skid in the short grass/brush.

Lilly Sheppell Park is actually for non-powered gliders only and requires a city permit to fly there... you can and will be cited otherwise. Locals fly sailplanes and gliders there. Since the hill surrounds million dollar homes the residents were having probelms with planes crashing into their property and people jumping their fences to retrieve downed planes. You now have to actually take a 'flight test' with your non-powered glider in order to get a permit to fly. Info can be found here: http://www.ci.laguna-niguel.ca.us/index.aspx?NID=210

There is also Fairview Park in Costa Mesa. The Harbor Soaring Society (HSS)RC Club is based out of there and the field can be flown at by obtaining a city permit (about $20). Here's the park site: http://www.orangecounty.net/html/park-costamesa.html
The rules managed by the HSS can be found here: www.1hss.org/rules

There is also the OCMA Flying Field just East of Irvine in the Santiago Canyon area. Details can be found here: http://flyocma.com/

Also in that neck of the woods there is the Trabuco Flyers flying field in Trabuco Canyon. Details here: http://www.trabucorcflyers.com/

There are several parks and schools that locals fly in the Irvine area (since most of Irvine generally is nice and open with lots of land). You can be creative and try to fly at any school or field without being harrased but its just a risk you have to take, we know we all have before and do.

Here are a few places that locals go that aren't actual RC fields but are pretty safe fields to fly without any problems and usually are unpopulated during off-hours...

Stonegate Elementary School in Irvine, CA: http://www.iusd.org/sg/Directions.html

Alderwood Basics Plus School in Irvine, CA:
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um...ed=0CBcQnwIwAQ

Well, that was an essay but I too have gone through much trouble trying to find the perfect field to fly at with no hassle or people around. Keep searching and honestly take it day by day. There are some fields I've found and flown at that were perfect one day but then everytime I've come back were full of soccer games or people. Good luck!
pilot_type_3 is offline Find More Posts by pilot_type_3
Old Feb 27, 2011, 01:52 AM
Gear Up And Locked
United States, CA, Pleasanton
Joined Feb 2011
41 Posts
Hello OC Flyers,
I lived in Huntington Beach in the 80's and used to fly at a bluff over looking the Santa Ana river by the intersection of Brookhurst and Adams. It is by a school that I think is called Estanchia. I moved to the SF Bay Area in 1987. On various trips back to OC I've stopped by the bluff and no one was flying there when the wind was perfect for that bluff. In the 80's on any given good west day there was always someone flying there. A thermal flying club would fly at the school until the wind picked up in the afternoon at which time the slope guys would arrive to fly the bluff. What has happened since then that has caused this situation? Has a restriction been of some sort been enforced to prevent the flying of RC slope gliders at this location?

Any info would be appreciated
wicker_Bill is offline Find More Posts by wicker_Bill
Old May 02, 2011, 04:15 PM
Garden Grove, CA
Joined Jul 2008
27 Posts
Quote:
I went here today on lunch hour and it appeared totally different from what i imagined from the google map. Expensive apartments are being built around the school. Construction sites closed and fenced. Too bad cuz i work close from here i thought i could come to fly at lunch or before work but i guess it's not an option for me any more....
pilot_type_3 is offline Find More Posts by pilot_type_3
Old May 03, 2011, 03:45 PM
Seattle, WA, USA
Joined Oct 2005
53 Posts
This is what happens 20 years after people have too many babies
khughes is offline Find More Posts by khughes
Old May 03, 2011, 11:06 PM
Gasbags & Gussets
Riverside, Ca
Joined Feb 2009
1,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wicker_Bill View Post
Hello OC Flyers,
I lived in Huntington Beach in the 80's and used to fly at a bluff over looking the Santa Ana river by the intersection of Brookhurst and Adams. It is by a school that I think is called Estanchia. I moved to the SF Bay Area in 1987. On various trips back to OC I've stopped by the bluff and no one was flying there when the wind was perfect for that bluff. In the 80's on any given good west day there was always someone flying there. A thermal flying club would fly at the school until the wind picked up in the afternoon at which time the slope guys would arrive to fly the bluff. What has happened since then that has caused this situation? Has a restriction been of some sort been enforced to prevent the flying of RC slope gliders at this location?
Any info would be appreciated
your memory serves you well. Here is the HSS club(flying site) web link for this field.

john s.

http://www.1hss.org/
jswain is offline Find More Posts by jswain
Old May 04, 2011, 03:30 PM
United States, CA, Irvine
Joined Sep 2004
207 Posts
The great Park seems to be available for flying 7 days a week now:

http://www.ocrcc.com/

Regards,

Eusebio
ek123 is offline Find More Posts by ek123
Old Jan 25, 2012, 01:36 PM
United States, CA, Placentia
Joined Jan 2012
2 Posts
Hi I'm back to training myself in how to fly my little tiger GOP.10.
I live in Placentia, CA, Orange County.
Does anyone know a good place to fly the RC airplanes?
Thanks
samy4movies is offline Find More Posts by samy4movies