SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 01, 2014, 04:56 AM
Joined Oct 2014
7 Posts
Discussion
Tall Ships training resources?

Hi All,

Recently I've been charmed by the sails, in particular from tall ships.
I've been thinking about building an RC model, but the problem is that I have no idea how do those ships work.

I've looked for training material to learn how to sail, but looks like they are not intended for multi-masts ships, so I was wondering where can I learn more about sailing those bad girls.

Thanks!
RcTonyx is offline Find More Posts by RcTonyx
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2014, 07:30 AM
RC Newbie with lots of ideas
Chile, Santiago Metropolitan Region, Stgo
Joined Dec 2012
292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcTonyx View Post
Hi All,

Recently I've been charmed by the sails, in particular from tall ships.
I've been thinking about building an RC model, but the problem is that I have no idea how do those ships work.

I've looked for training material to learn how to sail, but looks like they are not intended for multi-masts ships, so I was wondering where can I learn more about sailing those bad girls.

Thanks!

Hi. The basics of sailing apply to every sailboat. You can sail in any direction relative to the wind, except directly against it and some range around that direction.

In case of tall ships, the technology was not as good as todays, so the range around the "against the wind" direction was bigger, making it difficult to sail against the wind. I would suggest you keep away from those square sails, as those ships could not sail against the wind at all!!

Hope this helps to get you started.

This guy wil not sail against the wind (square sails hanging in front of masts):

This one will be able to sail against the wind (sails hanging from the behind the masts):
tarmstro is offline Find More Posts by tarmstro
Old Oct 01, 2014, 07:49 AM
Joined Oct 2014
7 Posts
Thanks for the info.
I was looking for some info about the man-oeuvres.

There are a lot of sails so having individual control for each one is not feasible, but I wanted to understand if the sequences were simple enough that an arduino could help me replicate the way those ships sail.
Old Oct 01, 2014, 08:03 AM
Joined Dec 2012
292 Posts
I would suggest you just replicate what we do with our 2-sail boats. We connect one single winch to both sails, so that thy move together out or in (the wind pushes them one side or another depending on direction).

So go and connect ALL sails to a single winch. Just put all sheeting points on the centerline, at the same distance from corresponding masts/stays, and clew points at the same distance, too. That way the geometry will be the same for every sail, all moving together.

Simple and it works. Go to a local pond and take a look how the system works. No arduino required! Just one winch/servo for sails, and another for rudder.
Old Oct 01, 2014, 12:33 PM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
2,008 Posts
The Scale Sailing area is filled with square rigged ships running under RC control. Several key players are frequent posters, and lots of threads to read.
And square rigged ships can make progress windward, just not as close (or easy) as fore and aft rigged boats. If not, none of those guys would ever get a boat back!

Dave
boater_dave is offline Find More Posts by boater_dave
Old Oct 01, 2014, 03:08 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,349 Posts
Tarmstro Seriously with that kind of advice any kind of tallship is bound to fail miserably.

RC Tony, for practical sailing tall-ship models my advice is to look up Brooks threads in the scale sail section and you can also look at my models like US Somers of 1842 which aer relatively small but very well handling models.
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber
Old Oct 01, 2014, 07:19 PM
Joined Dec 2012
292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatbomber View Post
Tarmstro Seriously with that kind of advice any kind of tallship is bound to fail miserably.

RC Tony, for practical sailing tall-ship models my advice is to look up Brooks threads in the scale sail section and you can also look at my models like US Somers of 1842 which aer relatively small but very well handling models.
My apologies then. My experience with RC Tallships is zero.
Old Oct 01, 2014, 08:04 PM
United States, MA, Needham
Joined Apr 2013
243 Posts
I think that tarmstro's idea is viable but the lines may get tangled. Also it would be overly complicated. I would just stick to 1 mast.
Captain Pique is offline Find More Posts by Captain Pique
Old Oct 01, 2014, 10:08 PM
Australia, TAS, Penguin
Joined Mar 2012
524 Posts
@rcTonyx:

Have a look at this video - a scratch build of a square rigger from recycled materials.
This one eventually used 4 channels for control (rudder and three sail winches). It will sail all the usual manoeuvers. As mentioned above they will not sail close to the wind - about 60 or 70 degrees off the wind was the best I could manage.

This was a fun project, learned a lot on the way through.

Eco Challenge 2013 - Jive Build (10 min 25 sec)
mrpenguin is offline Find More Posts by mrpenguin
Old Oct 02, 2014, 04:14 AM
Joined Oct 2014
7 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll head over the scale sail section then!

And congratulations for the original build, MrPenguin.