HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 30, 2013, 07:49 AM
Foamy Builder 167
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Oct 2007
167 Posts
Build Log
Giant Parkflyer Foamy

I love slow flying planes that can be flown indoors. I built this one a few years ago.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1922833
I thought about upsizing this plane for years. A few weeks ago I went to Lowes and bought fan fold foam and started building this. Like the smaller one, it is slow flying park flyer with under cambered wings. It is three channel with elevator, rudder, and throttle. The whole thing is made from fan fold foam that is 6MM thickness. I didnít peel the plastic off, but I believe I could have saved weight if I did peel it off on certain areas of the plane. I used the smaller one for reference when building this one, and upsized it. This one is 11 feet, 3 inch wing span at 22 inch cord. (20.625 square feet) It is 9 feet, 1 inch long. It is powered by a used motor that I got from another plane. The motor is capable of turning a 14 inch prop with more power than I needed for this plane. I used a 12 inch prop that keeps the power below 100 watts. It runs on one 2100MAH 3 cell pack. It weighs 4.35 pounds. This is 3.37 ounces per square foot.
The fuselage is made in two pieces. The pieces are held together with 2 3MM rods and rubber bands. The bands are on the inside accessed through round holes in both sections. The wings are mounted on 2 3MM carbon fiber rods. The rods are not strong enough to support the weight of the wings so I used dental floss and fishing swivels to attach lines to the top and bottom of the wings. I have to use stands when assembling it at the field. It takes between 15, and 20 minutes to assemble.
The receiver and two servos are in the back section of the plane with a 3 foot extension running to the front where the speed control, motor, and battery are.
NCNeal is offline Find More Posts by NCNeal
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2013, 09:02 AM
Foamy Builder 167
Joined Oct 2007
167 Posts
The first flight was a 9 second hop. It was tail heavy so I moved the battery forward as far as it would go. The second flight lasted 46 seconds. It was still tail heavy, so I added a second 2100MAH battery, and Y connector in the nose. This increased the weight to 4.77 pounds, and the ounces per square foot to 3.7. The third flight lasted one minute 20 seconds. I noticed the wings flexed back a little, and they fluttered in flight once. I am planning on adding extra lines to the wings for added strength.

Some of these were frames of the video. I am not computer savvy enough to load the video, but I am reading about how to accomplish this. I will post as soon as I figure out how.

(Edit) Post 16 has the first video. I figured out how to start a YouTube account. Post 18 has the best video as of June 22nd.
Last edited by NCNeal; Jul 20, 2013 at 10:01 AM.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 10:51 AM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,204 Posts
Congratulations on a very interesting experiment in large size and low wing loading.

I think that a bit more bracing will strengthen the structure so that you'll have more confidence when flying. For the wings flexing toward the rear, add string from the nose to maybe mid-span at the leading edge. Perhaps a link made from a rubber band in that line will make the wing flex a little if the tip contacts the ground while landing, while still helping to resist flexing back in flight.

Jim R.
JRuggiero is offline Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Old Jun 30, 2013, 03:55 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,755 Posts
Too cool! Looks great. Love to see vid. I just gotta do something like this -temptation, temptation....
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 30, 2013, 04:12 PM
Foamy Builder 167
Joined Oct 2007
167 Posts
Thank you for the interest, and suggestions. I added extra lines under the wings. I also added two lines to the front. It just started raining, so additional flight tests will not happen tonight.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 04:43 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Australia, QLD, Little Mountain
Joined Feb 2010
4,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Too cool! Looks great. Love to see vid. I just gotta do something like this -temptation, temptation....
Good idea!
See how big you can get from one standard box of MPF
First of the OB series...
Whiskers is online now Find More Posts by Whiskers
Old Jun 30, 2013, 06:49 PM
Foamy Builder 167
Joined Oct 2007
167 Posts
Good idea!
See how big you can get from one standard box of MPF
First of the OB series...[/QUOTE]

I would like to se a contest like that! I only used about a third of the stack of fan fold. A whole box of MPF would build a huge plane.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 07:24 PM
Joined Feb 2010
4,308 Posts
Springer is a genius at this and would be able to wrangle a 1/2 size B-19 out of that much foam.
Old Jul 01, 2013, 05:08 AM
Learning to mod
Ireland, Dublin, Dublin City
Joined Apr 2013
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskers View Post
Springer is a genius at this and would be able to wrangle a 1/2 size B-19 out of that much foam.
LOL! Can I buy a ride on that 1/2 scale B-19?!
fossil1999 is offline Find More Posts by fossil1999
Old Jul 01, 2013, 05:49 AM
Joined Feb 2010
4,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fossil1999 View Post
LOL! Can I buy a ride on that 1/2 scale B-19?!
I'll get his people to talk with your people. I'm sure we can make a deal...
Old Jul 01, 2013, 05:57 AM
old foamie
Joined Oct 2007
620 Posts
Looks great!, kinda has a eindecker flair about it.
old foamie is offline Find More Posts by old foamie
Old Jul 01, 2013, 08:53 AM
Learning to mod
Ireland, Dublin, Dublin City
Joined Apr 2013
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskers View Post
I'll get his people to talk with your people. I'm sure we can make a deal...
Sounds Great!!
fossil1999 is offline Find More Posts by fossil1999
Old Jul 01, 2013, 02:39 PM
United States, UT, Orem
Joined Jan 2006
504 Posts
That is really great looking. I'm having trouble picturing how you join the fuselage sections based on the description. A two piece fuselage for easy transportation is an idea I have played around with a bit, but haven't worked out yet. Also, how do you anchor the fishing swivels to the foam? I have been wanting to try supporting wings with thin line, but have been worried about the anchors ripping out of the foam.
iceburg47 is offline Find More Posts by iceburg47
Old Jul 01, 2013, 05:18 PM
Foamy Builder 167
Joined Oct 2007
167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceburg47 View Post
That is really great looking. I'm having trouble picturing how you join the fuselage sections based on the description. A two piece fuselage for easy transportation is an idea I have played around with a bit, but haven't worked out yet. Also, how do you anchor the fishing swivels to the foam? I have been wanting to try supporting wings with thin line, but have been worried about the anchors ripping out of the foam.
I used 3MM carbon fiber rods to align the sections. I glued pushrod housings to the fuse parts, and the rods slip in. The rods are not strong enough to support the loads, so I used rubber bands in the corners to hold it together. In the first picture you can see the rods sticking out, and the four small holes in the corners are for the rubber bands. The large hole is where the wires come through, and is big enough to reach inside if I need to.
In the second picture you can see I cut round circles on the top of each fuse part to access the rubber bands. The third picture shows these after it is connected, and they are shut.
The fourth, and fifth pictures show inside the rear access hole where the receiver, and servos are. In these pictures you can see the long wedge of Styrofoam with the small rod at the end with the rubber band over it.
Last edited by NCNeal; Jul 20, 2013 at 09:47 AM.
Old Jul 01, 2013, 06:41 PM
Foamy Builder 167
Joined Oct 2007
167 Posts
Here is a drawing of what I did. The rubber bands go around letters A, and B. I put short pieces of Carbon Fiber Rod at the ends to handle the pressure. These are all on the inside of the fuselage. I have to access them through the holes on top of the two sections.
I included a close up of one of the rubber band joints. In the picture is the tube that the rod goes through.