HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 21, 2014, 05:41 PM
Joined Jul 2011
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamtheWalrus View Post
+1 on that. For a first FPV plane I would not suggest the SH. The Bixler or similar platform would be a better choice and more forgiving. I've had hundreds of flights in my Bix and just starting to feel ready for a relationship with the SH now
I'm sure I won't be an ace FPV pilot, but I do have 45 years of RC experience including pattern, gliders and helicopters. I'm a private pilot, so I'm familiar with what it's like to sit in an airplane while flying it. Beyond that, I've been spending quite a bit of time on Real Flight v6.5 and v7.5 in the cockpit position.

Also, there are several experienced FPV pilots in my RC club that have offered to help including as spotter and as a pilot on a buddy-box.

As we used to say at work, "What could go wrong?"
KillerChaos is offline Find More Posts by KillerChaos
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2014, 09:18 PM
Joined Oct 2011
513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerChaos View Post
I'm sure I won't be an ace FPV pilot, but I do have 45 years of RC experience including pattern, gliders and helicopters. I'm a private pilot, so I'm familiar with what it's like to sit in an airplane while flying it. Beyond that, I've been spending quite a bit of time on Real Flight v6.5 and v7.5 in the cockpit position.

Also, there are several experienced FPV pilots in my RC club that have offered to help including as spotter and as a pilot on a buddy-box.

As we used to say at work, "What could go wrong?"
FPV is so much easier that regular RC flying, so no issues at all for flying, the issue is selecting and installing the right equipment for the right goal you are looking for.

You will spend more time and $$ that you could expect righ now, however very welcome to this addiction, BTW visit my youtube blog Elcapi56, hope you enjoy it
gtlavin56 is offline Find More Posts by gtlavin56
Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:36 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,667 Posts
Even with all that full scale and RC experience, I still wouldn't recommend a Skyhunter as
first FPV plane, any more than say I'd recommend a 600 class heli as first heli.
It's not impossible to do, but you'll pay more in time and money for mistakes. As said above,
the flying is really the easy part. Managing your electronics, video link, ground station,
batteries, Rf noise etc, are what make FPV challenging, and it helps to have a more
forgiving airframe while you work your way through issues with those things.
If you want something decent size that won't be as fussy to get the gear installed
in as the EZ*/Bixler/Sky Surfer type, you could take a look at the Skywalker,
which is a well proven dedicated FPV platform.

BTW, Hobbyking sells a lot of planes and gear they didn't design or manufacture.
Just because they sell it, doesn't mean you should automatically rule it out.
There are likely other vendors.
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Daemon; Oct 21, 2014 at 11:43 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 09:31 AM
Joined Jan 2006
2,405 Posts
I think the SkyHunter would be just fine as a first plane for an experienced pilot.

With such a good support network you could fly it as a normal RC plane then, with spotter/buddy box, start flying some easy circuits around the field and slowly expand your skills.

If things get a bit disorienting, just hit the RTH, take off the glasses (unless your using a screen of course!) find and take over visually - or have the spotter take over.

I'd also put landing gear on it. I did it this way. My friends did it this way. And none of us had any problems getting to full TO/Landing flights completely under the hood.

I think flying a glider would be easier, cheaper, and maybe all you need to have to enjoy the experience. But if you want to have a SkyHunter - go for it!

Mike
stanordave is offline Find More Posts by stanordave
Old Oct 22, 2014, 09:55 AM
UAV R&D Pilot/MC/PO
Joined Jun 2006
809 Posts
Hmmm debating if I should get this plane going or not. I got the RMRC Anaconda and really like that plane. The Skyhunter is just sitting there waiting to be put together.... Might throw it together once I get the Anaconda tuned.
Sukhoikid is offline Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Old Oct 22, 2014, 09:56 AM
Joined Oct 2011
513 Posts
I agree with your comments, my flying experience is that Skyhunter & Skywalker are very good platforms, I initiate with Easy Star, however it is too small, limited battery capacity and flying time, and is not the best for long range and windy days. I would say it is a parkflyier
SW is more glider than SH, however, with the experience that KillerChaos has he can start flying SH as RC plane and do FPV as well with the help of someone close to him, if something goes wrong, it is just a comment, no more.

Unfortunately, SH takes too long to assemble it in the field, in the other hand SW is very easy to built and assamble at field for flying

Regarding buying FPV electronics I would no buy video transmitters, receivers, antennas from Hobbyking, are really bad, without any filtering, etc. ReadymadeRC, Hobbywireless and Dragon Link (FPVPro.com) are a much better stuff for FPV

Today, the best 433 mhz system for RC control for FPV is Dragon Link so we can get 25 km without any issue and flying no more than 400 meters high

I had used 5.8 GHz, 900 mhz and 1.3Ghz and the best is 1.3GHz with yagi antenna for receiver and dipole for transmitter. 5.8 GHZ antenneas are not good for long range and very expensive, and heavy.

The rest of the electronics as, Turnigy 9ERX radio, eagle tree for OSD and ground station egle eyes, motors, batteries, and some type of cameras, esc and bec (turnigy) are ok, the rest is somehow unreliable for FPV.

Hope it helps
Old Oct 22, 2014, 12:14 PM
Joined Jul 2011
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtlavin56 View Post
FPV is so much easier that regular RC flying, so no issues at all for flying, the issue is selecting and installing the right equipment for the right goal you are looking for.

You will spend more time and $$ that you could expect righ now, however very welcome to this addiction, BTW visit my youtube blog Elcapi56, hope you enjoy it
Thanks for the welcome!

My first FPV system is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I bought the Fat Shark Attitude V2 FCC-Certified FPV Headset Bundle w/Trinity Head system. I plan to do some extensive bench-testing before deciding on an airplane. I still really like the new 54" Hitec Sky Scout that is scheduled for release at Tower Hobbies next month. One of my attractions to that size airplane is that I already have the recommended motor (RimFire 370) , ESC and batteries (new Ultra-Pulse 3S 2250), so that would save some money (for now).

I put on my technician's hat yesterday and did some theoretical run-time calculations for the Sky Scout with the above equipment. It might be possible to get 12 minute flights at 75% cruise power settings. Bench testing will prove that out, or not.

I'm a retired electronics technician, so the electronics do not intimidate me in any way. In fact, I love getting involved with new stuff.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 12:31 PM
Joined Jul 2011
33 Posts
One more thing. I'm studying for the Technician (beginner) level Ham license that is required by the FCC for legal FPV use. I should be prepared to take the test soon. This entry-level exam really isn't all that difficult. Morse Code skill no longer required.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 04:07 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,667 Posts
Yes, there's a significant jump up in size/weight and cost of motor/esc/batteries when you
go from the EZ*-clone class, to Skywalker/Penguin size, and another jump up when
you move to the Skyhunter/Anaconda/X8. There's nothing at all special about Hitec's plane.
It is a real Multiplex Easystar II, with Hitec gear installed in it. Could just buy the Easystar II kit directly.
I would certainly set it up with ailerons which is why the Bixler and Sky Surfer are popular as they already have em.
I moved from EZGlider and EZ* to the larger Skywalker mostly so I could carry a GoPro on a
pan mount up front which the EZ* and clones are too small for that. I then fell in love with having lots of
extra room inside the fuse so the FPV gear was easy to access and batteries can be slid forward
and back to balance the plane for different configurations.. There are many versions
of the Skywalker wing, and it can be made as sporty or floaty as you want. Ironically, the only
reason I stopped flying my Skywalker (sold it, and it's still flying) is that I was using it mostly for
low level tree dodging and that role was taken over by my quadcopter.
I've flown the Skyhunter out 6 miles and back on only 3300mAh worth of juice at 3S.
It's forgiving and nimble as it needs to be. Can do aerobatics as well.
It takes a hard landing/mild crash pretty well and is easy to repair.

The main difference with the Skyhunter is that it is bigger/heavier and faster
and has almost zero self leveling tendency which makes it a little smoother in
bumpy air, but have to be on it all the time. More stuff breaks in crashes.

Here's a couple of my compilation vids that show off what each platform can do.
2011 was my first full year with the Skywalker (90% of the fixed wing footage is
from the Skywalker, including first and last flights of the year).
FPV - Best of 2011 - Year in Review (15 min 25 sec)

2013 was my first full year with a Skyhunter and 90% of the fixed wing footage was with it
in this compilation.
Best of my best 2013 Adventures in FPV (20 min 9 sec)

I usually flew the Skywalker with a single 3S 4000-5000mAh pack and would get 15-20 minutes
of sport flying.
With Skyhunter, I typically fly it with two 3S 4000-5000mAh packs and buzz around about twice
as fast, getting almost the same 15-20 minutes of sport flying. It's capable of flying slow and
efficient (best was 33 minutes on single 4000mAh at 7Amps) but it's very boring to fly that way.

For whatever it's worth, the FCC certified Vtx puts out less than 5mW . It'll only get you
a hundred yards or so on omni antennas and you can't use a directional high gain antenna on the
goggles if you also intend to use the head tracker. You'll fly most fixed wing
aircraft out of range in seconds.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Daemon; Oct 22, 2014 at 04:13 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 04:52 PM
Joined Oct 2011
513 Posts
Dear KillerChaos

From my personal point of view, 12 min in FPV is too short. To really enjoy the benefits, views, exploring etc, you need more than that. My average flying time is 45 min....... When I used to have Easy Star with 5.8GHz 20 min was the most and I was not satisfied at all. Happy flying!!!
Old Oct 23, 2014, 01:23 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,667 Posts
Good close-up look at my Skyhunter.
Hangin Out with a Skyhunter (5 min 28 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 05:25 AM
Australia, NSW, Moss Vale
Joined Jun 2013
143 Posts
That's cool. It really looks like it has a bit of authority in the air.
IamtheWalrus is online now Find More Posts by IamtheWalrus
Old Today, 12:11 AM
Mayday! Mayday!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2010
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Good close-up look at my Skyhunter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOjVn-caT4I
Very cool!! What kind of setup are you flying? EZUHF?
jpt1205 is offline Find More Posts by jpt1205
Old Today, 12:42 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,667 Posts
Rlink UHF, 1.3Ghz video and Vector OSD in 3DH stability mode most of the time.
None of this was more than 4200ft away though.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Daemon; Today at 01:20 AM.
Old Today, 05:02 AM
Australia, NSW, Moss Vale
Joined Jun 2013
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Rlink UHF, 1.3Ghz video and Vector OSD in 3DH stability mode most of the time.
None of this was more than 4200ft away though.
And how 'bout your motor/prop combination if you don't mind
IamtheWalrus is online now Find More Posts by IamtheWalrus