SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:36 PM
Joined Nov 2010
108 Posts
Question
What actually happens if you mess up by unplugging usb during firmware update?

I'm having trouble updating the firmware on and getting my new osd to work that I am replacing a broken one with.

My question is what happens if I have unplugged the usb at the wrong time.

It strongly warns in bold letters "DO NOT UNPLUG DURING UPDATE!" or else something bad will happen

Lets say hypothetically speaking this does happen? What is the course of action to fix it? and/or does it need to be sent in to the manufacturer to fix this problem.

I may have done this when it got the error it says unplug the usb plug back in and try again?

I may have messed up the firmware update?
whosthebaddest is offline Find More Posts by whosthebaddest
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2012, 06:31 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,935 Posts
For all devices we've shipped in the past 5 or so years, if you disconnect them during firmware update, they will be recoverable. However, it seemed prudent not to change that text, for older devices.
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:13 AM
Joined Apr 2012
72 Posts
The update process usually involves erasing and replacing the embedded software. Incomplete firmware loads risk the problem of the hardware not being able to communicate and work together. In severe cases the only fix is replacing the memory chip with software preloaded or interfacing directly with the hardware. That's where the term "hard brick" comes from
zzyzx is offline Find More Posts by zzyzx
Old Apr 29, 2012, 04:39 AM
Resistance is Futile
United States, FL, Panama City Beach
Joined Oct 2001
2,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzyzx View Post
The update process usually involves erasing and replacing the embedded software. Incomplete firmware loads risk the problem of the hardware not being able to communicate and work together. In severe cases the only fix is replacing the memory chip with software preloaded or interfacing directly with the hardware. That's where the term "hard brick" comes from
In the strictest sense of the term, bricking, (never heard of "hard brick") must imply that software error has rendered the device completely unrecoverable without some hardware replacement. However, it is common to use the term for a problem that can be rectified but only by a complex and difficult procedure, often requiring additional software and hardware.

Yeah man, you tell the device designer and owner of ET systems all about what he is doing wrong. His devices are usually recoverable and not "bricked".

Rob
camship is offline Find More Posts by camship
Old May 03, 2012, 03:05 PM
Joined Apr 2012
72 Posts
In some circles a paperweighted device (brick) is referred to as soft or hard based on the severity of the problem. A soft brick is not a true brick, still communicates with usb/programmer, and can be corrected with a proper flash. A hard brick requires replacement of the chip or hardware interface reprogramming, like jtag-ging the mcu for example.

I answered this question as though it was a general one. I see now that it is in a vendor's support forum. I apologize for any confusion and would like to mention that my answer was in no way referring to any Eagle Tree product.
Old May 03, 2012, 06:47 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,935 Posts
zzyzx, I have a "bricked" Blu-ray player due to this shortcoming. :S In theory at least, we have implemented a solution in ET products where this is impossible to do.
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old May 04, 2012, 05:21 AM
Joined Apr 2012
72 Posts
Dual flash chips?
Separate recovery software that does not get touched during programming?

Your blu-ray player isn't useless, those laser diodes are sick. Good for burning lasers, many other projects. I'd probably find it more useful for parts than watching blu-rays tbh.