HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by bsbauman, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 10:35 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,494 Posts
Discussion
Burned Retina

I have started a thread on this bird that can be found here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1502256

What started out as an Addiction X, is in the process of receiving lights. When it is all said and done, there will be exactly 501 LEDs on board.

I may add an additional 27 to cover the LG and canopy, but most likely, I will not be that ambitious

Covering will be all white, with red bottom
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snuggles Speaks
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2011, 09:03 PM
Yeeah buddy!
Northern Colorado
Joined May 2010
2,451 Posts
Nice Job~
PinkYakRC is offline Find More Posts by PinkYakRC
Old Sep 22, 2011, 10:34 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,494 Posts
Thanks... that second wing is taking some time; I have done the aileron, but still have to stuff the interior
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 22, 2011, 10:58 PM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
Man that Addiction is such a cool looking plane!! I want one! Maybe one day in Green!

ViperZ is offline Find More Posts by ViperZ
Old Sep 22, 2011, 11:02 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,494 Posts
HK just got my backordered LEDs in stock, I spent the day out at East Lake for the PGA Championship; all in all it has been quite a good day

I love the Addiction Vipz but if you have the space for it, I strongly recommend the X. There truely is nothing quite like it on the market for floaty slow and low 3d. For the high energy stuff I am looking at that new Bandit or a 3DHS...
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 22, 2011, 11:07 PM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
Whats the difference? You know I never realized there were 2 models of this plane.

The Bandit is a great looking plane
ViperZ is offline Find More Posts by ViperZ
Old Sep 23, 2011, 12:24 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,494 Posts
the X is a larger 50" version with incredible power to weight and only about 8oz per sf wing loading.

They are both incredibly easy for first time 3d pilots and many of my friends never hovered a real plane until they flew my X for the first time. Advanced 3d, ground is the limit; check out some of these videos as they really showcase the PA planes very well and are some of the highest quality RC videos on the market IMO:
http://3d-aerobatics.com/3D/Videos/Archive.html

just start at the top and work your way down.... I may have ruined your productivity for the next few days
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2011, 09:42 AM
Waiting for the paint to dry.
Pasadena Maryland
Joined Oct 2009
1,233 Posts
Im' going to try them as body line rivits this time and see what I get.
as 3v they seem ok. I left them on for 3 days to see if anything bad would happen lol
t
ctrout is offline Find More Posts by ctrout
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:16 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,494 Posts
Nice to know they will last that long I certainly do not want to have to get under my covering after this is completed to replace dead strips!

What project is that going on? Are those wires insulated (I forgot my glasses today)? What would happen if they touch in flight? I look forward to seeing your install.

BsB
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2011, 04:56 PM
Waiting for the paint to dry.
Pasadena Maryland
Joined Oct 2009
1,233 Posts
they are live wires but as I put the skin on the foam core the sprayfoam (glue) will trap them in place.
when everything drys the lights glow under the glass skin as the rivit lines on the fuse and wing. Its a backup light system, giant scale night flights give me the jitters lol but that what I like to build.
t
ctrout is offline Find More Posts by ctrout
Old Oct 13, 2011, 06:15 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,494 Posts
Thats awesome! I look forward to seeing more pics

I will be jumping back on this project when I get back in town next week, Ill post an update after I complete the second wing.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 25, 2011, 04:33 PM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,322 Posts
you should use a transparent or translucent film covering so you can show off your nice work w/ the lights I do not know how that stuff works if is easy or not to use but it would be real cool looking nice job I'll keep watching to see what you end up with.

Bruce
splinterz25 is offline Find More Posts by splinterz25
Old Oct 25, 2011, 05:05 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,494 Posts
Hey Splinters, thanks for the compliment; Ive put in a good number of hours and it is nice to know I am moving in the right direction.

I am not settled on any particular covering just yet, but the plan is to use white solid covering in the hopes it will react like a canvas for the light. If it shows up too dull, I will use transparent throughout. But I have reservations with pure transparent in that I think the glare is going to be painful on 3s with pure transparent. I will post some pics of the trial in the main thread when I get to that point.

I am updating the main thread with some more pics now...
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2011, 06:17 PM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
Hey Splinters, thanks for the compliment; Ive put in a good number of hours and it is nice to know I am moving in the right direction.

I am not settled on any particular covering just yet, but the plan is to use white solid covering in the hopes it will react like a canvas for the light. If it shows up too dull, I will use transparent throughout. But I have reservations with pure transparent in that I think the glare is going to be painful on 3s with pure transparent. I will post some pics of the trial in the main thread when I get to that point.

I am updating the main thread with some more pics now...
what is the link to your main thread? so I can check it out thanks

Bruce
splinterz25 is offline Find More Posts by splinterz25
Old Oct 26, 2011, 06:39 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,494 Posts
I'm sorry, I should have left a link

I have posted a few pics here in my blog, some pics in my clubs thread, and some pics on the Addiction X thread; so I thought I would put all the photos under one link:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1502256

I will be adding many more pics in the next weeks now that my structural issues are resolved... I cannot quite comment on when it will be RTF though as I need to learn how to cover and I imagine it will take me several tries before I am satisfied with the results.
RCG Plus Member