HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 25, 2011, 09:47 PM
Corey
Australia, QLD, Caboolture
Joined Feb 2011
94 Posts
Question
topflite spitfire, can you add these mods, or is the anything better

Hi, I am looking for a new kit to build, - just finished putting together my sig something extra, and just got the covering to go- and i am very interested in the topflite spitfire, but just wondering if it would be very hard to add some mods like: panel lines, scale fibreglass cowl with all the scale bits that the real spitfire has, scale gear doors, is it hard to add the optional split flaps, make the tail ribs stand out a bit more cos on the photos i have seen the look a bit to shallow, scale gun ports, if anyone knows where to buy scale spitfire wheels, are the Robart or Century Jet Models, retracts scale spitfire design, if not does anyone know of anywere that you can buy scale spitfire retracts, with scale robo struts, are the dimensions scale, If the topflite spitfire is no good for what i Want to do, does anyone know of any other warbird kits that are in the same price range.
i have got these 3D drawings, would these be ok to do what i want
Cheers Corey
Ps i can get the spitfire for $350au, is that the cheapest you can get in australia
Fishingfon is offline Find More Posts by Fishingfon
Last edited by Fishingfon; Mar 26, 2011 at 01:03 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2011, 11:16 PM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,296 Posts
Man o-man.. thats allot of questions! In my experiences, the topflight kits are good fliers, but typically they make "adjustments" here and their to get them to be a more forgiving flier and the scale factor is detracted by some of these adjustments. I have not personally delt with the spitfire, but i have worked with the P-47, P51 and corsair.

Adjusting the things you want to do to make it more scale is all possible with anything. Its just having the experience and know-how to do it. Panel lines, gear doors, split flaps, gun ports, retracting tail-wheel and door (not sure why you would want this, as the full-scale did not) etc are all easily accomplished. The fabric covered control-surfaces can also be made to look more realistic (you may just have to change the way you build them). I'm not sure if anyone makes scale spitfire wheels in the .60 size spitfire nor am i sure anyone makes scale gear this small. Most find that the 1/5 scale size (80 inch wingspan) is about the smallest (and perfect) size for getting allot of scale detail into a smaller model w/o adding allot of weight.

As far as dimensions, you should be able to do some research and determine that with a little bit of math.
invertmast is online now Find More Posts by invertmast
Old Mar 26, 2011, 01:11 AM
Corey
Joined Feb 2011
94 Posts
Hi, i forgot to say that the is no particular plane i want but it just has to be a WWII warbird, and any size plane is ok but my budget is about $400au for the kit,
does anyone know if it is posible to get a 1/5 scale warbird for that
Cheers corey
Old Mar 30, 2011, 06:37 AM
northumberland in england,uk
Joined Jan 2011
71 Posts
hello i will be doing a spit,hurri and two types of 109s i have a blog on the eletric warbirds.they are full fibre-glass kits.if you want to have a look and any feed-back welcome.tony
magtone1 is offline Find More Posts by magtone1
Old Mar 30, 2011, 10:30 AM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,541 Posts
Not sure of the cost in Australian dollars but you might check out the 1/6 scale Spitfire from Mick Reeves in the UK. This is a much more accurate starting point than a TF Spitfire and already has many of the features you seek.

http://www.mickreevesmodels.co.uk/~m...its/p4spit.htm
Chad Veich is offline Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Old Mar 31, 2011, 12:12 AM
Corey
Joined Feb 2011
94 Posts
Hi guys,
thanks very much but i am realy looking for a build it your self balsa wood kit to fill in the empty hours dureing the week, just wondering, have anyone on here built a brian taylor plane with the laser cut part kit, is it hard to build,
Cheers Corey
Old Mar 31, 2011, 12:14 AM
Corey
Joined Feb 2011
94 Posts
the mick reeves plane looks nice, will give a think about buying it for a future project
Cheers Corey
Old Mar 31, 2011, 12:18 AM
Corey
Joined Feb 2011
94 Posts
magtone, i have had a look for your blogs, but i cant find them, do you know how long ago they were put on there so i know how far back to go in the pages.
and are all of mick reeves planes fibreglass or does he have any balsa ones
Cheers Corey
Old Mar 31, 2011, 12:31 AM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishingfon View Post
... are all of mick reeves planes fibreglass or does he have any balsa ones
Mick offers both options for his 1/6 scale Spitfire, built up fuse or fiberglass. From his web site:

Span 74 inches. Engine. 10 to 20cc. Weight. 12 lbs.
Semi kit with full epoxy fuselage/cowl , CNC cut wing ribs and tail parts.
Formers. Canopy. Spinner. Wheels. Plans. Mouldings. Engine mount.
Wing joiners. Pilot. Dash. Bolts, horns etc.
You provide sheet and strip balsa etc. 285.00. post 12.
Alternative semi kit as above but with epoxy cowl and CNC cut
formers for wood fuselage. 185

EXTRAS. Mechanical retracts.(spitfire angles) 55.00. Retract servo. 50.
Sprung oleo legs. 28 pr. Self adhesive Decal set. 17.50. Scale prop kit 10.
Plans alone 18.
Chad Veich is offline Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Old Apr 03, 2011, 05:29 PM
northumberland in england,uk
Joined Jan 2011
71 Posts
hello i have just put a one on the eletric warbirds ( my 109s)thanks magtone
magtone1 is offline Find More Posts by magtone1
Old Apr 03, 2011, 09:18 PM
Corey
Joined Feb 2011
94 Posts
ok thanks mag, i will have a look at it.
chad, i will se how much it costs to get one of those to australia,Thanks heaps
Cheers Corey
Old Apr 05, 2011, 04:06 PM
United States, NY, Wading River
Joined Jan 2011
49 Posts
Of course you can add the mods. I'm finishing up a TF spit right now, plane is being glassed with panel lines, rivets, hatches and raised panels. Split flaps are included in the instructions and quite easy to add. Gear doors are a challenge if you've never done them before, you have to lay them up out of fiberglass. The skys the limit depending on your skill level.
edgetorker is offline Find More Posts by edgetorker
Old Jun 11, 2011, 12:42 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7 Posts
HELP - Topflite Spitfire Elevator & Rudder plans needed

Hi All:

I live in Windsor, Ontario and our local Junior A hockey team is called the Windsor Spitfires (2-time Memorial Cup Champions!). I have been asked to restore a Spitfire model that hung in their clubhouse for many years but is now going to be displayed in the local flying club hanger.

Having checked it over, I have determined that it is actually the 63" Topflite Spitfire and that it was once a flyer (although there is no engine now). The plane is in pretty rough condition - which I will repair - but the key problem is that the rudder is bashed up and the elevator (NOTE - just the moveable portion - not the stabilizer) is completely missing (see attached photos).

Please note - I am not trying to circumvent the copyright - I just want to try to restore a nice old model to respectable shape so that it can be hung up and displayed in a local flying club.

If anyone has the plans - could you scan and send me the drawings for the rudder and elevator and their key parts? I don't need the dimensions, I have the model so I can scale up/down to the right size.

Many thanks,

Peter
MaxPete is offline Find More Posts by MaxPete
Old Jun 12, 2011, 04:59 AM
Joined Mar 2011
537 Posts
Wow..she's in need of some serious attention...but is definitely repairable..too bad just to be a static display though..

TM
twmonroe is offline Find More Posts by twmonroe
Old Jun 13, 2011, 11:58 PM
Corey
Joined Feb 2011
94 Posts
Hi edge, i would just worn you before you finish in case you have not noticed, but i have found out that the back fin has been enlarged by 25% on the tf spitfire, that is why i have decided to build a Brian taylor spitfire instead, and i am buying a laser cut wood pack from traplet australia, it ends up costing around $400 for the plans canopys and the short kit(just the shaped wood none of the sheets/sticks), it is much more scale, and it already has the things i wanted to put on the TFspit.
i am not trying to make you not do it or anything, i am just letting you know what i have found,
it should be a nice model whebn it is finished. just one qustion, are you just glassing the outside of the wooden model or are you makeing a plug and pulling a all fibreglass model?,
good luck with your build
Corey

i will have to reply to the rest of the posts later cos my batterie is running out in my laptop
Corey