JohnVH is offline Find More Posts by JohnVH
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2015, 02:07 AM
Find More Posts by turboparker
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jul 2009
13,775 Posts
Yeah - nice flying, John! Great camera work, too! Definitely enjoyed watching the clip.

Haven't flown mine (or any of my other outdoor RC aircraft) yet this season. This spring, I was too busy getting ready for the move, moving, getting settled-in at my interim place, and getting the hang of the new job. And we've had mostly crappy flying wx since then.

But now I've got the itch to fly the 'engine with wings' again. Next time we get some calm wx, I'll have to take her up for a romp....

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
Old Jul 16, 2015, 03:16 AM
Find More Posts by Peter Phillipps
Australia, Lord Howe Island
Joined Dec 2004
324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVH View Post
Had a little fun with mine recently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45FA9dBWxHo
Nice, well flown and filmed!
Peter Phillipps is online now Find More Posts by Peter Phillipps
Old Jul 16, 2015, 09:23 AM
Find More Posts by JohnVH
Thread Crapper
Lynden, WA
Joined Nov 2000
3,521 Posts
Thanks guys!
Old Jul 16, 2015, 08:46 PM
Find More Posts by GBLynden
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
4,146 Posts
Quote:
Had a little fun with mine recently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45FA9dBWxHo
That turned out great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze0021 View Post
Great flying!! Love the Gee Bee. Great video as well. Definitely helps to have a good camera guy with an awesome camera. Most of my flight videos are done solo with a GoPro Head Mount. Can't do close ups too well and I don't care for the fisheye effect either. Again, great video!
It is hard to video John too. I never know exactly what he is going to do and when. I just point and try to stay on it the the best I can lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Phillipps View Post
Nice, well flown and filmed!
John and I do that a lot, though with the wind not relenting much for the past month or two we haven't done it as much as we would prefer. What I am trying to say is subscribe to John's channel if you liked this video. It is worth the click

GB
GBLynden is online now Find More Posts by GBLynden
Old Jul 17, 2015, 02:24 PM
Find More Posts by MrSmoothie
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Jan 2015
153 Posts
I'll chime in too, nice video and especially nice flying! I've learned to do a lot of aerobatics with my R-2, but I don't have the skill (or nerves) to do them so close to the ground. Altitude is still my close personal friend. Of all the micros, I think the Gee Bee and Pitts are hard to beat, in particular because they are capable of "big boy" aerobatics.
MrSmoothie is online now Find More Posts by MrSmoothie
Old Jul 17, 2015, 04:59 PM
Find More Posts by John.G
love to fly, hate to crash
Fort Erie Ont. Canada
Joined Jan 2005
563 Posts
Loved the video as showed off the great looks of the GeeBee and how smooth it can be flown and if I didn't know I would have thought it was much larger. Makes me want to get my UMX GeeBee out for a couple flights. John
John.G is offline Find More Posts by John.G
Old Jul 22, 2015, 04:28 PM
Find More Posts by CorvetteC5
Kokomo, Indiana
Joined Jun 2008
902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altbob View Post
Quick question on the charger that comes with this plane. I've got two of them and both seem to take hours to charge and balance, if it ever happens at all. I assume these are just crap and should be tossed in the trash. Anyone have different experience with the Eflite Celectra 2S charger?
I routinely use 4 of these chargers at one time filling up the fuel tanks prior to heading to the flying field. Only have a problem with one of the six that I have "collected" with the airplanes. It is very sensitive to cell balancing and often never reaches a fully charged state (steady green light). Instead it continues to 'balance' the cells. Evenso, the battery is basically fully charged when charged the same amount of time that the other chargers take. I quick move of this lipo to my smart charger confirms the pack is done.

Instead of dealing with the falsely blinking lights, I do not use this one charger.
CorvetteC5 is offline Find More Posts by CorvetteC5
Old Jul 24, 2015, 09:55 PM
Find More Posts by Blaze0021
United States, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Apr 2015
897 Posts
Eflite UMX Gee Bee R2 Flight - Immortal Classic

Friday Night Feature!

Best viewed in Fullscreen HD! A music video to my UMX Gee Bee R2. Named Izzy after my 12-week old kitten that always keeps me on my toes, this plane truly lives up to her namesake. A beautiful classic Air Racer now discontinued, this is my commemorative flight video to this immortal classic. Music: Gimme Some Lovin' (Remastered) by Steve Winwood.

Eflite UMX Gee Bee R2 Flight - Immortal Classic (3 min 17 sec)

Now on Vimeo as well:

Eflite UMX Gee Bee R2 - Immortal Classic (3 min 16 sec)

Propeller: GWS 5030
Battery: Thunder Power Magna 2S 7.4V 325mAh 70C

I hope you enjoy the video and feel free to hit the Like Button and Subscribe!

Thanks for watching.
Blaze0021 is offline Find More Posts by Blaze0021
Last edited by Blaze0021; Jul 25, 2015 at 02:20 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 10:00 PM
Find More Posts by JohnVH
Thread Crapper
Lynden, WA
Joined Nov 2000
3,521 Posts
Stuck the landing on grass. Nice
Old Jul 24, 2015, 10:02 PM
Joined Apr 2015
897 Posts
Quote:
Stuck the landing on grass. Nice
Thanks!! The park I fly in is all AstroTurf, but I love flying this plane, especially on landing approaches and testing how smooth I can land. When Lacrosse Games aren't playing at the field, I'll use the garbage cans lined down the field and pylon race in between them (like at 2:37s in the music video)... at a reasonable height of course.

Such a beautiful plane.
Last edited by Blaze0021; Jul 25, 2015 at 03:52 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 03:45 PM
Find More Posts by turboparker
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jul 2009
13,775 Posts
Excellent flying! You wrung her out pretty good, there, I'd say! Enjoyed the nice, straight takeoff & that textbook-perfect landing, too! The rudder-turn at 2:04 was a nice touch, as well. How did you get so good with this plane so quickly? If I didn't know better, I'd have thought you've been flying her for years. Also - great work on timing the scene changes with the music. I usually prefer natural audio or a mix instead of only dubbed-in music when watching aircraft videos - but you have a knack for choosing tasty tunes that fit the flight & timing things nicely.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
Last edited by turboparker; Jul 25, 2015 at 03:58 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 10:59 PM
Joined Apr 2015
897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Excellent flying! You wrung her out pretty good, there, I'd say! Enjoyed the nice, straight takeoff & that textbook-perfect landing, too! The rudder-turn at 2:04 was a nice touch, as well. How did you get so good with this plane so quickly? If I didn't know better, I'd have thought you've been flying her for years. Also - great work on timing the scene changes with the music. I usually prefer natural audio or a mix instead of only dubbed-in music when watching aircraft videos - but you have a knack for choosing tasty tunes that fit the flight & timing things nicely.

Joel
Thank you sir!! This was a labor of love, lol. Part of it was keeping on my A-Game flying this plane.. the other part is that I have a little baby kitten that is intently staring at me and the plane, as if Izzy is saying, "don't be going out wrecking my plane, okay?? I've always been a fan of the Gee Bee. I do believe flying her has actually improved my overall flying techniques, especially with finessed landings.

I started RC Flying in May of 2014.. I've been flying at least an hour a day, weather permitting. I also watch a lot of youtube videos of others flying the same models, getting a grasp of what to see when flying and what to look out for. I'm a fan of Flite Test and watch their videos consistently.. their Beginner's Series is a boon to anyone wanting to learn the basics of flight. I also watch your videos as well, so you've been a big help! Your long write-up on this plane that you gave me was incredibly helpful as I would have never thought to have checked for the OCP Shutoff and that was the first thing I addressed (owe ya a beer if I ever get to shake your hand).

Again, thank you for watching my video, giving feedback and I'm glad you enjoyed the feature!
Last edited by Blaze0021; Jul 26, 2015 at 04:23 AM.