SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 23, 2003, 09:06 PM
Oxford, MS
Joined Apr 2002
1,134 Posts
Wren Turbines!

Wow found these for 999 pounds thats in kit form with ECU, and everything. Thats a heck of a deal compared to most I've seen. I've even heard some good stuff about them on RCUniverse.
Hopperfly22 is offline Find More Posts by Hopperfly22
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2003, 12:19 AM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,779 Posts
nice

Some day I'll blow the bucks on a turbine. but you know thats only half the price. The support equipment will kill you! LOL can't wait till the day there $600 atleast I'm doing my part to will it to happen. is everyone else? lol

Barry
monkamarm2000 is offline Find More Posts by monkamarm2000
Old Feb 04, 2003, 06:50 PM
Oxford, MS
Joined Apr 2002
1,134 Posts
Well it's around $1700 total for everything. Not bad for a complete brand new turbine.
Hopperfly22 is offline Find More Posts by Hopperfly22
Old Feb 17, 2003, 03:51 PM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,402 Posts
Wren run their engines at the Harrogate events through the year, here in the UK.

I was at the Christmas show, and watched a few demos. of the motors. The thing which struck me most was the sound - far more 'jetlike' than most. The support equipment appeared negligible compared with the larger turbines. Perhaps that is their approach - simple and cheap!

They will probably be there on 1 & 2 March this year. If anyone is in the North of England (Yorkshire) on either of these days, it's a visit worth making. It's at the Harrogate Showground, and is a big event with a lot of the trade stands doing good business.

Tony
Tony Oliver is offline Find More Posts by Tony Oliver
Old Mar 03, 2003, 12:01 AM
Anthem AZ
Joined Feb 2003
34 Posts
Barry,
I built a Wren MW54 For about $1700 u.s.. There's not much support equipment needed. You need a way to get ALOT of fuel in the plane. I went "whole hog" and got the set-up from Jersey Modeler....expensive, worth every penny, but not necessary. Additionally, you need a propane regulator and tank. I modified an old Bernz-o-matic torch that I had in my junk box. The Wren uses the inexpensive Coleman fuel. And finally, a CO2 fire extinquisher which cost me about $55.00 used. Now that I think about it, having fire fighting equipment on hand at the field is not a bad idea when there's those big gas burners 'floppin around as well. So, now you don't need your Sullivan Dynatron and battery or glow driver either. As you can see, the the support equipment for and electric start turbine is minimal. So jump on e-bay, sell all your glow related stuff and start burning some Jet-A!!

Check out: www.Wren-turbines.com

John
Cactusflyer is offline Find More Posts by Cactusflyer