HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2004, 05:35 PM
There are FOUR LIGHTS !!!
Long Beach Municipal, California, United States
Joined Sep 2004
1,134 Posts
My first flight and some questions...

My first time out... and there had to be a lot of people. A lot would be about 10 people with their planes.

Here's a thread with my plane.

I said hello as I passed by some of the people as I was heading up to the freq board. Put my marker on my frequency (luckily mine was open) and went back to the car.

Got my plane out along with my transmitter. Went out to the field. Did the checks, rev up the engines to full, threw the plane forward slightly and let the motor work and the plane took off.

Did some laps, got used to the controls and landed perfectly...

The weather was a little dark, with some wind, so I was glad that I was using my 350 motor on my Slow Stick.

Did a quick check again, and launched. After a couple of laps, I noticed that I was slightly losing some control. Landed the best I could and took a look at my plane. The tail (the part that goes vertical, and controls left and right) was bent and loose. The glue and screws that I used held the part that's attached to the fuselage was great. Just the rest of the foam wasn't. So I went back and taped it up securely and went back out to the field.

Launched, now it seemed like there was no power. Landed... ok... maybe slightly nose-dived. The black gear was loose and didn't catch with the gear on the motor.

So I taped the space in between, so that the black gear wouldn't move and went back out to the field.

Launched... still had some weird problems (no power, no control) so .... boom. Crashed. The black gear was broken, the fuselage was bent where the front wheels were, and the driveshaft broke.

Bent the fuselage back, thought I almost snapped it off, luckily I had the 300 motor that the Slow Stick came with. Installed it, changed the battery, and launched. I definately noticed the difference between the 300 and 350. The 300 had a hard time fighting against the wind. After doing a couple of loops and laps, I landed nicely. Packed up and went home.

It was a good day.

Now, for the my questions.

1. Is there a suggested flight time for the motor or is the motor fine with the workload of continuous power?

2. Why would the black gear slide off the position? I see the grooves, it just didn't want to stay there. I was tempted to glue the gear to the driveshaft... just didn't have glue at the field.

3. Where can I just buy the 350 motor without the gearbox (I have extra gearboxes and driveshafts). I checkd AlleRC and there are a lot of choices. And they were called 370, 370k, 370s.

4. Is there a break-in period for the motor?

Thanks for all the help!

Going back out to the field tomorrow!
psycho_klown66 is offline Find More Posts by psycho_klown66
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2004, 08:20 AM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,974 Posts
Pshycho,

Quote:
1. Is there a suggested flight time for the motor or is the motor fine with the workload of continuous power?
- It depends of how hot it gets. If it is just warm then running it shouldn’t hurt.

Quote:
2. Why would the black gear slide off the position? I see the grooves, it just didn't want to stay there. I was tempted to glue the gear to the driveshaft... just didn't have glue at the field.
- It just happens, usually as the result of a crash, but it can just happen. You can try thin CA – do not get it in bushings.

Quote:
3. Where can I just buy the 350 motor without the gearbox (I have extra gearboxes and driveshafts). I checkd AlleRC and there are a lot of choices. And they were called 370, 370k, 370s.
– A lot of places - You can try Balsa Products.

Quote:
4. Is there a break-in period for the motor?
- Some say yes. I just run em. You can do a search and find more on this.

LcJ
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by LcJ; Oct 17, 2004 at 08:23 AM.
Old Oct 17, 2004, 12:04 PM
WAA pilot #21
Princeton NJ
Joined Dec 2003
3,166 Posts
Sounds like you did great psycho,
Some thoughts:
Glue the gear on. It wont hold forever, but usually works well. Thin Ca is best, assemble the gear and holding the shaft level or slightly nose down, put a TINY drop on the front of the gear & shaft. Hold it slightly down for several minutes. Some CA will wick up into the joint.

300/350 motors with 8.4 volts, stock gearing and prop can be run pretty much indefinitely. Given these factors, they just dont (usually) get hot enough.

When you say it felt like it was losing power, do you mean from the stripped gear, low battery, or something else?

I'd email allerc and ask em why they just dont use the GWS naming convention for the motors. I still dont know which one is the '350' as they seem to be the only place that uses that naming system. Otherwise, pretty much all the sponsors (see the 'our sponsors' button at the very top right of the screen) carry these motors.

You can reinforce the vertical stabilizer with a couple sharp toothpicks. just jam them in from the bottom.

Congratulations.
Mike
Vanning is offline Find More Posts by Vanning
Old Oct 17, 2004, 12:33 PM
florida
Joined Apr 2004
298 Posts
Ca works good but i prefer locktite,i put it around the grooves in the shaft and push the spur gear(black) on to the grooves and wipe off the extra locktite quikly. I mark the EXACT location of the spur gear with a marker befor i do anything so the gear isnt permanently in the wrong place(dont go by the grooves for location, that can mess the allighnment up.

kyle
kombat kid is offline Find More Posts by kombat kid
Old Oct 17, 2004, 12:40 PM
Joined Sep 2004
1,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanning
When you say it felt like it was losing power, do you mean from the stripped gear, low battery, or something else?
I'm sorry. I should clarify. When it felt like it was losing power, it was because the gear wasn't in place so I wasn't getting any thrust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanning
You can reinforce the vertical stabilizer with a couple sharp toothpicks. just jam them in from the bottom.
I'll try the toothpicks. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LcJ
A lot of places - You can try Balsa Products.
Thanks for the link. I'll see if they have also have some other stuff that I'm looking for!

It rained last night, and according to the weather sites, the winds are moving between 9-12 MPH.... might be too windy to fly today. There's always tomorrow!

Thanks again for the responses!
Old Oct 17, 2004, 12:47 PM
Average User
Bakersfield, California
Joined Aug 2003
1,726 Posts
Psycho, for your first time out you did fantastic!!

I still remember my first flight. Less than 30 seconds and real ugly.

This is THE place for help and advise. Welcome to RC flying!
M Ashmore is offline Find More Posts by M Ashmore
Old Oct 18, 2004, 12:57 AM
Joined Sep 2004
1,134 Posts
Thanks!

I took my plane out today... against my better judgement. We were getting 8-12 mph winds...

Anyways, broke the fuselage (fixed it with the plastic part that came with the SS), the Pushrod snapped from over bendage (fixed it by installing Dubro EZ Connectors and sliding the servos back a little).

So far, I haven't broke a propeller (knock on wood)! Broke everything else though.

I'm glad I went out today and learned to fly against strong wind. I learned a lot... and my plane looks it!
Old Oct 18, 2004, 06:14 AM
WAA pilot #21
Princeton NJ
Joined Dec 2003
3,166 Posts
hehe..pace yourself Grasshopper.
Learn to fly in 5 to 8 mph wind first. Your plane will thank you for it.
Vanning is offline Find More Posts by Vanning
Old Oct 19, 2004, 11:46 AM
Joined Sep 2004
1,134 Posts
After all the repairs that day, I finally had it flying and landing, flying and landing. It was a GREAT !!! I had a 5 solid runs, went through all 3 of my batteries without a problem.

I already purchased another fuselage and pushrods, just in case my repairs do not hold up... oh yeah... and lots of tape!

Thank you guys for suggesting the Slow Stick... it takes a lot of beating and easy to fix.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 03:04 PM
USA, VT, Brandon
Joined Aug 2004
1,342 Posts
30 seconds...wow...much longer than my first flight! When I finally paid attention to the basics and laid off the controls, things went much better. I still have my many spare drive shafts and fuse so I guess I'm learning something. I did have to pull out my 30' pool vacuum pole the other day to help my SS out of a maple near my barn. She now sports a spiffy 6mm depron tail.Still having moments of stupidity that I don't expect to go away any time soon. I probably would have choked big time with all of those people around. Good for you!
millerhill is offline Find More Posts by millerhill