HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 12, 2013, 02:22 PM
Joined Jan 2004
357 Posts
Discussion
I joined a new flying club

Well, this weekend I joined the flying club that's about 5 miles from my home. I've been out of R/C planes for about 18 years, ever since I started building and flying full scale. But, I hurt my back, so I'm getting back into R/C. I went to the club field, and almost everyone is flying foam ARFs and RTFs. About 4/5 were scale models, and half of those were jets. Not a single scratch builder, and only a couple of kit builders.

I tried talking to them about the designs I had built and flown between '79 and '95, but not one of them had any idea about the models I brought up. If it wasn't produced in the last 5-10 years, they had no clue about them. So, I've decided that I will only scratch build glow powered balsa models from plans at least 40 years old. The only exceptions will be a Q-Tee, S-Tee, and a couple of Fred Reese Simple Series planes that I loved back in the early 80's.

So, I have an O.S. .46, an O.S. .25, a Supertigre .25, and a few Cox .049s. Any suggestions?
gettinout is offline Find More Posts by gettinout
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2013, 04:19 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,988 Posts
Good for you! RTFs are OK, but nothing beats the thrill of flying something you created yourself. No specific suggestions, but have a look here http://www.outerzone.co.uk/vinplandex/ for thousands of downloadable plans - bound to be enough models there to keep you going for two lifetimes!
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
Old May 12, 2013, 04:34 PM
The dog ate my clearance
Joined Jan 2004
1,090 Posts
Welcome to the vintage forum, gettinout. You'll find plenty of good guys on this forum who will gladly help out. If you're looking for a vintage project, a good place to browse would be the "pre-1960 vintage plans" thread. It's a sticky at the top of the forum topics list. There are thousands of plans available for free download there. As you view some of those old treasures, you'll likely recognize something you just have to build. Take the plan to Kinko's and enlarge it to fit whatever engine you want to use. Then start a build thread here. If you encounter any problems, there is a lot of expertise here to rely on.
brokenspar is offline Find More Posts by brokenspar
Old May 12, 2013, 07:54 PM
United States, NY, Ithaca
Joined Sep 2007
949 Posts
It's fun to travel to events put on by other clubs and might be a way to hook up with someone who has tastes more like yours. My own club leans more and more toward electric arfs and they're all nice guys, but it's great to get out visit with more like-minded types now and then, or at least someone who appreciates what you're doing. Fortunately we still have a few builders in our club and quite a few glow engine pilots.

Jim
buzzard bait is offline Find More Posts by buzzard bait
Old May 13, 2013, 01:09 PM
Joined Jan 2004
357 Posts
Wow! 12,000 posts on the plans thread! If I read through them all to find a design, I'll never have time to build. We'll just have to see how well the search feature works.
Old May 13, 2013, 01:45 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,563 Posts
Congratulations on getting back into the swing of things.
I like showing up with airplane sporting engines they never knew existed before too.
I have been flying a plane with a 1967 vintage Fox Blue head .60 engine. The dual plugs get a lot of looks from the people.
Model diesel engines get a lot of looks too, especially when I don't use a glow plug ignitor as there is a adjustment lever on top of the engine instead. Or like with the Drone engines, there is nothing on top of the head.
Now then the 1/2a engines do get lots of looks from the younger folks as they never knew they made engines that small. I need to put together something again for a Cox .010 engine soon.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old May 13, 2013, 02:22 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinout View Post
Wow! 12,000 posts on the plans thread! If I read through them all to find a design, I'll never have time to build. We'll just have to see how well the search feature works.
No need to wade through the thread - you'll find all the plans that were posted to the thread - and lots more besides - at the Outerzone, the link I gave in Post #2 - excellent search facilities too.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
Old May 16, 2013, 01:33 PM
Joined Oct 2012
217 Posts
Nice to see a fellow plan/scratch builder! Make sure you take along a sheet of balsa to show your new clubmates how 'real' models are built as they've probably never seen one before

In my old club I wouldn't even use a foam wing as I considered it heresy of the highest order! (plus I like cutting wing ribs anyway)

Hope you enjoy your new club and have many happy years flying.

Regards
Harry
Harry Rule is offline Find More Posts by Harry Rule
Old May 19, 2013, 01:38 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,229 Posts
I have been in the hobby since the late 40's and have mostly transitioned from glow/IC power to electric but still have some IC stuff and belong to a large club that flies both types of RC powered models. Electric power has it's own learning curve and converting IC designs to electric power has a number of extra challenges. In general .60 and larger sized models are in some ways better when powered with IC engines. Smaller models, .40 sized down to micro sized are arguably better when electric-powered. If you want to try electrics painlessly, consider a Horizon Hobby /Park Zone Foam ARF model. The Plug and Play (PNP) packages let you install your own receiver and battery pack, but have motor, speed control and servos already installed. You will need a proper type battery charger and power supply. The Bind and Fly packages include cheap but usable RC systems, charger, and a battery pack( "all you need"). There are a number of other RCG forums where you can get advice on what model to buy, conversion of IC-powered models to electric power, etc. Brushless outrunner motors, lipo motor batteries and 2.4GHZ RC systems have almost replaced 72Mhz systems at most flying venues although 72Mhz systems are still usable and preferred by some die-hards.

Keep an open mind, there have been a lot of changes/improvements in electric powered RC models and a huge variety of inexpensive foam almost ready to fly (ARF) models are being sold to beginners and those who have not learned or do not want to build from balsa kits, etc. Don't be hurt when other fliers show disinterest in what you have built and flown in the past. They are often interested in the latest foamie warbird model offered by Hobby King and other suppliers. Many of these mass produced foam ARF models fly very well and sometimes better than kit-built balsa models. It's a fact of life!!
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Last edited by E-Challenged; May 19, 2013 at 01:47 PM.
Old May 21, 2013, 02:28 PM
Joined Jan 2004
357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged View Post
Keep an open mind, there have been a lot of changes/improvements in electric powered RC models and a huge variety of inexpensive foam almost ready to fly (ARF) models are being sold to beginners and those who have not learned or do not want to build from balsa kits, etc. Don't be hurt when other fliers show disinterest in what you have built and flown in the past. They are often interested in the latest foamie warbird model offered by Hobby King and other suppliers. Many of these mass produced foam ARF models fly very well and sometimes better than kit-built balsa models. It's a fact of life!!
Oh, don't worry. I keep an open mind. I already had a slew of Dollar Tree foam designs I was going to build before I joined the club. And I appreciate all the new innovations we have today. I believe 2.4Ghz is the best thing to happen to R/C since the Ugly Stick. If it weren't for cheap RTF, I believe the hobby would be on life support today. But, I can't be like everyone else. So, I guess I'm gonna be "that" guy who builds those OLD things. From scratch! How last century!

So, I'm getting all my old Cox engines tuned up, printing out my sets of plans, and breaking out the stash of #11 Xacto blades.
Old May 21, 2013, 02:43 PM
Where's the lift?
United States, WA, Snohomish
Joined Mar 2001
2,920 Posts
Quote:
If it weren't for cheap RTF, I believe the hobby would be on life support today.
Now that's a healthy and realistic attitude.

If you were to take away foamie electrics, I swear I'd be flying all alone out at my power field most of the time. I pride myself in the number of classic kits and scratch builds I have done over the years, and I realize that it makes me unique (and under-appreciated), but I don't begrudge the fact that the hobby has become a consumer sport. Patience and skill has been replaced with cheap and ready-to-use packaged commodities that you buy off the shelf.

Is what is; life goes on. All the more balsa for me, I say!
dgliderguy is offline Find More Posts by dgliderguy
Old May 21, 2013, 09:38 PM
Joined Jan 2004
357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgliderguy View Post
Is what is; life goes on. All the more balsa for me, I say!
That's something I fear also. When my balsa supply is exhausted here soon, I'm dreading the price of good, light balsa.
Old May 21, 2013, 11:20 PM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Aug 2004
933 Posts
Quote:
That's something I fear also. When my balsa supply is exhausted here soon, I'm dreading the price of good, light balsa.
I just paid $19.50 for a sheet of 48x4x3/8(5.4lb) BUD NOSEN BALSA
ColinNZ is offline Find More Posts by ColinNZ
Last edited by ColinNZ; May 22, 2013 at 03:53 AM.
Old May 22, 2013, 08:54 AM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Sep 2010
218 Posts
If you really want to see culture shock "up close and personal," try explaining free flight to some of the new kids: "You mean you just let it go?"
Moeregaard is offline Find More Posts by Moeregaard
Old May 22, 2013, 10:58 AM
Where's the lift?
United States, WA, Snohomish
Joined Mar 2001
2,920 Posts
I had a couple of young men from our church youth group visiting at my house the other night, maybe 19 or 20 years old, and we started talking about model airplane flying. Are you ready for this? They did not know about rubber-power. Not joking here. I had to explain to them that a rubber-powered model airplane has a length of rubber band inside that you wind up, and that turns the propeller and powers the model up into the sky.

They honestly had never heard of such a thing before.

I'm 58 years old now, and beginning for the first time to realize how very large the gulf is between my generation and the upcoming crop of new "millenials". I'm still reeling in disbelief.
dgliderguy is offline Find More Posts by dgliderguy