HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:19 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
8,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
You don't see the picture right
How can I promise anything, when this is Simon project 100%? Frsky is just the... "organ donor", Simon is the main artist.

Also, D4FR suits my needs perfectly, it features serial line, telemetry and normal firmware upload, normal servo connectors, why should I want these things in VD5M form? For 1 gram less? Not convincing enough.
For Hitec users yes, but I knew in right time what side to be
Point is that Simon prove that cppm can be easily added in these little rx ... not only it can be done but it make a lot of sense

D4fr is very nice, but it cost double ... the vd5m is the cheapest frsky rx, and as well the smallest

Anyhow .. good to see that FrSky can use bright minds around the world

Tchuss

E_lm_70

Ps: 1gramm less ... is important when it is almost 50% weight saving

Pps: I think FrSky can easyly make a firmware update dongle and provide a new firmware with cppm for the vd5m .. or produce the new one with cppm ... maybe taking away the telemetry compatibility mode that is useless (assume there is a memory limit issue inside the 16k flash memory)
e_lm_70 is offline Find More Posts by e_lm_70
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:46 AM
Joined Dec 2010
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70 View Post
I was just surprise that you state that CPPM is something "fair amount of work" ... that it is strange ... since my experience is that CPPM is more easy then having to deal with multiple signal, one for each channel ...

That's it.

ps: On the pict you posted ... some cables must be missing ... I just see 2 line for power, and 1 line from the 5 "side tabs" ... guess these 5 tabs, are just +vcc, Gnd, "SDA" / "SDC" , Reset .... making these 5 tabs ideally for "flash" the board inside FrSky product line
CPPM could easily be added by FRSky, but what he meant was that for you to do it the entire firmware needs to be rewritten from scratch.

Yes some wires are missing, the orange wire is for cppm out on his early versions before cppm was output through a servo plug. I would think he has some fancy clip to reflash the recievers to avoid having to solder them all.
bjhoogs is offline Find More Posts by bjhoogs
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:25 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,377 Posts
Any updates / news on a V8R4-II with AFHSS? By next spring hopefully?

Would be nice to fly combat with my A9 instead of a crappy DX6i w/ OrangeRX. With the way prop strikes can shred up a plane no way I'm using an expensive rx.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Oct 30, 2012, 02:10 PM
Deutschland, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Geilenkirchen
Joined Aug 2007
772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonChambers View Post
Hi,

My final point to this argument is why did this happen to this 10k plane on JR DSM2? This aircraft was owned and flown by one of the worlds best jet pilots (who competes in the world jet masters), who meticulously setups his model and it has multiple redundancy systems (powerbox, etc) to protect against failure....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n63lfsXp998
Yet it is clear that he has had control loss. Of course this potentially could happen to any system - just doesn't seem to happen as often...!

Si.
Excuse me, but the reason of this crash was a pilots error, not Spektrum DSM2! If you look that film, you can easily see, that the tip of the radio-antenna was pointing to the airplane, when he lost control. He made a beginners-mistake and the result was a crash.

The radio-link is anyway much worse in the near of the soil, especially when the soil is wet (green grass), if a pilot is pointing with the antenna of his radio into the direction of the airplane, a lost of control will most likely happen and the result of loosing control near the earth is that, what we could see in this movie-clip.

Udo
udogigahertz is offline Find More Posts by udogigahertz
Old Oct 30, 2012, 03:00 PM
most exalted one
Canada, BC, Blind Bay
Joined Aug 2002
3,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by udogigahertz View Post
Excuse me, but the reason of this crash was a pilots error, not Spektrum DSM2! If you look that film, you can easily see, that the tip of the radio-antenna was pointing to the airplane, when he lost control. He made a beginners-mistake and the result was a crash.

The radio-link is anyway much worse in the near of the soil, especially when the soil is wet (green grass), if a pilot is pointing with the antenna of his radio into the direction of the airplane, a lost of control will most likely happen and the result of loosing control near the earth is that, what we could see in this movie-clip.

Udo
OK, I'll call BS on that one. The antenna is clearly pointed up and the model is approaching from the left. No antenna pointing at the model at all. Need reading glasses?
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60
Old Oct 30, 2012, 03:59 PM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
8,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by udogigahertz View Post

Udo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4*60 View Post
OK, I'll call BS on that one. The antenna is clearly pointed up and the model is approaching from the left. No antenna pointing at the model at all. Need reading glasses?
Hey ... what a paranoia

The distance between bird and TX is so short that thinking that pointing here or there make a difference is BS

The pilot (that is a Spectrum sponsored one, so can't say much else) ... said his RX lost the battery connection ... that is somehow possible.

In reality we all know, that in case of a reset, due to a power issue for 1mSec, or a signal lost for 1mS ... the spectrum tx-rx need over 1 second for reconnect ... by that time ... the bird is destroyed.

Yes .. Spectrum is total JUNK ... but ...they still can sponsor nice pilot ... and find lot of dummy customers

So ... they do their business right ... even if they are technically dummy

EDIT: 1mSec of power problem it is for sure fatal for the spectrum RX ... 1mS signal lost it is probably not causing a huge reconnection time.
e_lm_70 is offline Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Last edited by e_lm_70; Oct 31, 2012 at 05:13 AM.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:03 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70 View Post
In reality we all know, that in case of a reset, due to a power issue for 1mSec, or a signal lost for 1mS ... the spectrum tx-rx need over 1 second for reconnect ... by that time ... the bird is destroyed.
Transmitters don't reconnect, receivers do.

DSMX receivers reconnect instantly. DSM2 receivers also instantly.

Don't spew misinformation. If you don't like the best RC products on the planet, fine. If you want to run your inferior stuff, fine. Just don't keep lying about the good stuff.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:06 PM
Addicted to lift
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2010
513 Posts
... As feathers ruffle.

eosglider is offline Find More Posts by eosglider
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:18 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post

Don't spew misinformation. If you don't like the best RC products on the planet, fine. If you want to run your inferior stuff, fine. Just don't keep lying about the good stuff.

Andy
It must be good, look how "orange" it becomes every day...
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:08 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jun 2012
307 Posts
Quote:

Andy
"Best" is a subjective term and just because spectrum Rxs are more expensive doesn't necessarily make them superior. I've never had any problems with any my hitec gear. So far the little testing that I've done with the 8 ch compatible Rx it definitely bound to my Tx faster than I've ever seen a spektrum or Orange Rx do.
Nin3rsAllDay is offline Find More Posts by Nin3rsAllDay
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:25 PM
...just an earth bound misfit
Joined Mar 2010
660 Posts
Folks,

1. The antenna is clearly not pointed at the plane when control of the jet is lost.

2. If you read the comments on the jet video you will see that the pilot (Ali Machinchy) took full responsibility for that plane going in:
The single RX battery failed. My fault for not having a dual battery system fitted.
3. A ten second lockout on my stryker (coincidentally using DSM2) did end before impact and the plane was saved by not giving up on the sticks.
The stryker is grounded and wishing for a Minima-ized V8R4-II.

4. The ORX T-SIX transmitter and ORX module are going to liven things up in the DSM world.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1759538
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...mpatible_.html
Dirt-Torpedo is offline Find More Posts by Dirt-Torpedo
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:21 PM
Build to Fly? FLY to BUILD!
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Nov 2009
1,104 Posts
I don't care for Spektrum, but that's a matter of opinion. If the pilot says that it was a single RX battery failure (which is possible btw) I am obliged to believe him. It was a costly oversight, but who doesn't make those every once in a while?

To be honest, I never had a problem with my old Spektrum gear (other than normal wear). I just went with Hitec because the system is a better fit for me.
Legot is offline Find More Posts by Legot
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:28 PM
Radio? Screwdriver!
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2011
991 Posts
Quote:
If you don't like the best RC products on the planet, fine. If you want to run your inferior stuff, fine.
Come on Andy, you know that's a very dangerous thing to say - especially from someone who is representing a company. The word 'best' is very subjective word. The best in what way?

Best Price? Best Features? Best Fashion Style? Best quality plastics used? Etc. Etc.

Is a Bugatti Veyron the 'best car on the planet'? Well, not if want to carry a 50cc plane around - my 5 door civic can do that better than a Veyron! But then a Civic isn't the 'best car on the planet' either.

It's also harsh to say other stuff is inferior. Again in what way? If your talking about the stuff that e_lm_70 uses, i.e. FrSky, then that again is a dangerous thing to say and plain nasty too. There are going to be some ways that FrSky is better than Spektrum and other ways that Spektrum is better than FrSky. Such is the world.

In the UK, if claims of "best RC products on the planet" is used in advertising, it would be expected to show documentary evidence of being so to the average consumer. So I'll throw it out there, where is the evidence that DSM2 receivers are the 'best RC products on the planet'? I expect documentary evidence of every possible element - that can't be refuted.

I hear a lot of information about DSM2 / DSMX being the best systems, yet I see little documentary evidence that its any better or any worse than other systems. This evidence can't be subjective, it has to be repeatable hard facts.

----

In regards to the Ali crash, at the time of the original post, the post about the battery didn't exist. However was it killed by the crash, or was it dead before hand?

We will probably never know.

However, I really don't want this thread to become a DSM vs the world argument - apart from that its been done to death many of times, there are plenty of other threads more suited to the argument...!

----

Finally I will say, I do hate the arrogance that Horizon spouts out (especially with their Spektrum brand), about how they are the best systems and everything else is inferior. Especially when they are not the best systems in every way! A child could tell you that something isn't the best at everything.

You don't win anyone's favour by saying that everyone else is and you certainly won't win mine!

This arrogance is probably one of the major reasons why there is such a anti-Spektrum sentiment around.

Si.
SimonChambers is online now Find More Posts by SimonChambers
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:31 PM
Radio? Screwdriver!
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2011
991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
Any updates / news on a V8R4-II with AFHSS? By next spring hopefully?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt-Torpedo View Post
The stryker is grounded and wishing for a Minima-ized V8R4-II.
Ok ok, I get the hint!

I'll put another order for some V8R4-II and hopefully I'll get what I'd ordered for!

Cheers,
Si.
SimonChambers is online now Find More Posts by SimonChambers
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:54 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,218 Posts
Best is subjective, of course. But since you asked, my opinions where Spektrum is best are:

Best selection of products for all segments of the RC hobby. Best technical solution (that's why I chose it 5 years ago, and I'd pick it again today). Best bang for the buck, especially when you bring service, support, and similar things in comparing similar companies (I say that because smaller businesses, such as yourself, are usually able to do the service/support/visibility thing better. I did that for 11 years).

Let's put it this way - if I didn't think it was the best, I wouldn't be here.

Are there areas to improve? Of course, we're humans.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor