HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:19 PM
Deutschland, RP, Niederzissen
Joined Dec 2011
885 Posts
If you want to use spoilerons,i would set the link slightly in front of the hinge line(when hinge is at the top surface of the wing) to get more throw.
This would cause a mechanical positive differential.
At Bens solution it looks like link its set behind the hinge line which would give a negative differential.
But this may deceive, usually the ailleron surface is a bit wider at the lower side of the wing than at the top ( when hingeline is at the top)

DIfferential has to be adjustetd specific for every plane(and preference);some positive differential is usual.

Yello
Mreyello is offline Find More Posts by Mreyello
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:26 PM
Joined Dec 2011
885 Posts
DUP;
I have some 2mm prepreg.carbon out of F1 production , even this stuff i would not trust for an application with a sidebolted ball joint!
But as i am happy with my simple steelrods i can save the expensive stuff for motormounts

Yello
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:32 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,817 Posts
I think good tight L-bends are enough for this applications and planes, at least 1.5mm thick...

nothing complicated, and does the job...
sebbe is offline Find More Posts by sebbe
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:39 PM
2012 NZ Speedcup - 231 MPH
New Zealand, Tasman, Richmond
Joined Mar 2006
2,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mreyello View Post
DUP;
I have some 2mm prepreg.carbon out of F1 production , even this stuff i would not trust for an application with a sidebolted ball joint!
But as i am happy with my simple steelrods i can save the expensive stuff for motormounts

Yello
Seriously? I'm clearly not understanding something here then. There's no way you'd twist one of those with a servo. I would have thought the failure point would actually be where the horn mounts into the control surface anyway....
DownUnderPilot is online now Find More Posts by DownUnderPilot
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:06 PM
I am actually really slow
Brisbane
Joined Jun 2008
976 Posts
Side bolted ball joints are nothing new Yello. Not mechanically perfect, but mechanically adequate for most applications for an aileron that has what? 1kg of load on it? I think a short, fat,plastic servo control horn with a side mounted ball ain't going nowhere.

I doubt I could twist a 2mm thick control horn sized piece of prepreg with my hand...

The differential issue can be easily adjusted with end point adjustment in the radio, no biggie.
SlowBarless is offline Find More Posts by SlowBarless
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Fiber up close
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:06 PM
Joined Dec 2011
885 Posts
Even small flexability may give the starting point for high frequency movement which may swing up into heavy flutter.
Do not underestimate the forces in a swinging system.

I am pretty sure the horns DUP recommended will be safe, and sure the prepregstuff will be reliable aswell but for me there is no need to split forces into bending forces and torsion forces when there is the option to reduce it to just bending forces which are easier to controll.
This is for sure a more or less theoretical discussion, it is obvious that there are lots of nice working balljoint linkages out there.

But its not the way an engeneer would design!

Yello
Last edited by Mreyello; Jan 30, 2013 at 04:08 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:42 PM
London
Joined Jul 2003
897 Posts
When I tried to use ball links, I was unable to get the ball close enough to the servo hub because of the nut on the screw. Having the link further away from the axis amplifies any slop and/or floating neutral problems. So I stuck with Zs and Ls.

But let's not get hung up with which method is better, the differences are small and racing on a course has difference requirements anyway - such as precise neutrals.
Darron is offline Find More Posts by Darron
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:00 PM
Joined Dec 2011
885 Posts
Darron
It was not my intention to offer my method as the best,just wanted to show the pros and cons.
Knowledge about the mechanical basics will help to avoid bad experience.

I remember one guy to have a flutter issue which he tried to solve with longer arms both sides,for me the wrong way in the case he used ball joints(i can not find the thread,sorry)

As flutter is a general problem we should open a specific thread about linkage and servos to avoid the impression flutter is a swist problem ( which definitly is not the case!!!)

Yello
Last edited by Mreyello; Jan 31, 2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:28 PM
Joined Aug 2004
976 Posts
What size prop would be good for a mild hotliner setup for sport flying. Say about a 1000 watt power system?
tho98027 is offline Find More Posts by tho98027
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:08 AM
Joined Oct 2008
490 Posts
My maiden flight was yesterday
My set-up :
Strecker 260.15.7
4S
14.5X14
The flight itself went very well - plane flew great with amazing climbing power - Until I landed - I accidentally turned the throttle on when the plane was on the ground and burned out my Strecker.
This is a motor that cannot be easily acquired - they're like rocking horse pooh. It was graciously supplied by RolfD (FD-Modellbau) from his personal collection. Its had over 400 flights without an issue. One flight with me and its toast. Im sending it back to him for repair.
Needless to say Im feeling a bit sheepish.
But all is not lost - my Scorpion 3026 1900kv awaits !
Hopefully my luck changes with this plane.
Blitz - please post pics of your motor mount. How are you planning on making it?
Im thinking I'll do a carbon plate/ply/carbon plate one.
War Machine is offline Find More Posts by War Machine
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:31 PM
The Prop is Where its At!
New Zealand, Bay Of Plenty, Omokoroa
Joined Dec 2012
867 Posts
Heya cheif!! aaaa true-guted,sorry to here,lesson learnt
Gd to hear people being geniune with there ups-we all make them.
I've drawn a ruff plan-at this stage,alloy inner and ply outer.Will post a pic when i draw it up a bit neater
blitzu is online now Find More Posts by blitzu
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:56 PM
Florence Italy
Joined Dec 2009
887 Posts
[QUOTE=blitzu;23848224]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrandle View Post
Blitzu, could you please take a photo of the bottom of the wing and tailplane so we can see those colours as well. Starting to feel the itchy purchase finger syndrome.....

hehe too gd-exactly like me... . master card!
Heres the underside of wing...

The wing is soooo pointy and thin...reminds me of a knife
What is this in photo?
Another question ..the nuts of the 2 screws are glued in the fuse?
magrinsi is online now Find More Posts by magrinsi
Last edited by magrinsi; Feb 04, 2013 at 03:35 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:49 PM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2010
2,834 Posts
[QUOTE=magrinsi;24031687]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzu View Post

What is this in photo?
Another question ..the nuts of the 2 screws are glued in the fuse?
What you have circled is the tab on the leading edge of the wing that slids in the fuselage...As for what the wing bolts screw into,they are triangle threaded plates that are glued in the fuselage.
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:47 PM
The Prop is Where its At!
New Zealand, Bay Of Plenty, Omokoroa
Joined Dec 2012
867 Posts
Howzit Magrinsi couple of pics of tab and inserts..
Tiny little tab too (gets me worried looking at it ),ovisly plenty strong enough thou
blitzu is online now Find More Posts by blitzu
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:29 AM
Florence Italy
Joined Dec 2009
887 Posts
But i must cut in this zone the fuse for insert the tab?
How do you have do for remove the fiber of kevlar around the cur of fuse?What do you think of use a llittle quantity of resin and glue the fibers?
magrinsi is online now Find More Posts by magrinsi
Last edited by magrinsi; Feb 05, 2013 at 03:12 AM.