HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 15, 2012, 01:23 PM
Registered User
NanoDave's Avatar
Los Angeles, Ca
Joined Jul 2004
857 Posts
Hey Bombay

Well the simple answer is yes. If you want more maneuverability for slow aerobatics then you need more throw on your elevator.

If that is what you want, then i would remove it and create more bevel, (widen the V) so that you can get more throw.

You are correct, you can simply limit the movement with your servo.

I usually set up my plane with dual rates: low throws for high speed flight and High throws for aerobatics. Just be very careful not to fly high speed with the high rates, it can be pretty scary when the plane over reacts at high speed.
NanoDave is offline Find More Posts by NanoDave
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2012, 03:26 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Apr 2009
570 Posts
New Balsa Speed Shark

Saturday I saw the new Balsa Speed Shark. It is truly a thing of beauty, definitely a MUST HAVE. I wish I could have stayed around to see it fly. Yesterday I ordered a few planes and this morning they were sitting at my front door nicely packed and in good condition. Now that's what I call great service. Thanks Dave.
Bob
wslco10 is offline Find More Posts by wslco10
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2012, 05:26 PM
Registered User
NanoDave's Avatar
Los Angeles, Ca
Joined Jul 2004
857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wslco10 View Post
Saturday I saw the new Balsa Speed Shark. It is truly a thing of beauty, definitely a MUST HAVE. I wish I could have stayed around to see it fly. Yesterday I ordered a few planes and this morning they were sitting at my front door nicely packed and in good condition. Now that's what I call great service. Thanks Dave.
Bob
Your welcome!

And thanks for your kind words.
NanoDave is offline Find More Posts by NanoDave
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2012, 09:47 PM
Slow Flyer
Bombay's Avatar
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoDave View Post
Hey Bombay

Well the simple answer is yes. If you want more maneuverability for slow aerobatics then you need more throw on your elevator.

If that is what you want, then i would remove it and create more bevel, (widen the V) so that you can get more throw.

You are correct, you can simply limit the movement with your servo.

I usually set up my plane with dual rates: low throws for high speed flight and High throws for aerobatics. Just be very careful not to fly high speed with the high rates, it can be pretty scary when the plane over reacts at high speed.
Yeah, I figured so, but I was trying to convince myself that I didn't need anymore throw. Thanks for the reply...already removed and sanded.

Where is the best place to get the colored packing tape?
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2012, 12:13 AM
Registered User
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Apr 2009
570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombay View Post
Yeah, I figured so, but I was trying to convince myself that I didn't need anymore throw. Thanks for the reply...already removed and sanded.

Where is the best place to get the colored packing tape?
dwfoamies.com
wslco10 is offline Find More Posts by wslco10
Last edited by wslco10; Feb 19, 2012 at 07:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 05, 2012, 08:06 PM
Slow Flyer
Bombay's Avatar
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Another build question (yeah, I am slow). I noticed that the instructions do not suggest covering the wing with packing tape. Am I reading that correctly? What is the general consensus, to cover the wing or not?
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 05, 2012, 08:34 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Apr 2009
570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombay View Post
Another build question (yeah, I am slow). I noticed that the instructions do not suggest covering the wing with packing tape. Am I reading that correctly? What is the general consensus, to cover the wing or not?
Cover the wing. Looks nice.
Bob
wslco10 is offline Find More Posts by wslco10
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2012, 02:48 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Apr 2009
570 Posts
Soloed my Nanoshark today. Been flying the Babyshark on a 2s 20-30c battery and having a lot of fun. The only other time I flew the Nanoshark was at Apollo field on a buddy box about a month ago so I was a little apprehensive. The flight was a blast. Plane launches easy, flys like it is on rails, and glides in for a smooth landing. This plane is very fast and easy to fly, I love it. I landed after 2 minutes, no sense pushing my luck the first time.
Bob
wslco10 is offline Find More Posts by wslco10
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 11:13 PM
Slow Flyer
Bombay's Avatar
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Battery size

Ok, aside from minor details I am ready for maiden. Another club member is about a week ahead of me. Great build. I was very impressed by the fit of the parts and the thought that went into the build details (and instructions).

The only batteries that I currently have on hand are Thunderpower 3s 45c 850mah. While that would make for a light, fast plane, I am concerned about flight time. I need to pick up a few batts for this plane.

Question. What size/mah battery is the optimum balance between weight, speed, and flight time?

BTW - I went with a laminate instead of the packing tape. The laminate should protect from UV damage and will hopefully last longer that the tape. All up weight is 215grams/7.6oz RTF without battery.
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 11:55 PM
Registered User
NanoDave's Avatar
Los Angeles, Ca
Joined Jul 2004
857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombay View Post
Ok, aside from minor details I am ready for maiden. Another club member is about a week ahead of me. Great build. I was very impressed by the fit of the parts and the thought that went into the build details (and instructions).

The only batteries that I currently have on hand are Thunderpower 3s 45c 850mah. While that would make for a light, fast plane, I am concerned about flight time. I need to pick up a few batts for this plane.

Question. What size/mah battery is the optimum balance between weight, speed, and flight time?

BTW - I went with a laminate instead of the packing tape. The laminate should protect from UV damage and will hopefully last longer that the tape. All up weight is 215grams/7.6oz RTF without battery.
I LOVE IT!!! It captures the essence of the true Shark just like I imagined when I made the very first Nanoshark many years ago! Very nice decoration and build job!

To answer your question: I have 2 favorite sizes for this plane. 1600 mah or 1900 mah 3S. 1600 is good all around. while the 1900 is great for longer flights. Both are just fine though. But it depends if your motor is strong enough for the 1900 pack added weight. If it was the Grayson Hobby V3 2200kv I'd stick with the 1600. But with the Keda 2800kv motor, the 1900 is great.
NanoDave is offline Find More Posts by NanoDave
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 09:27 AM
Slow Flyer
Bombay's Avatar
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Thanks. I actually do have some 1550's that might fit. Alot of it has to do with the way the wires exit the packs. I just figured anything over a 1300mah would be too heavy.

Thanks for the kind words. My wife said it looks like a whale (what an ego deflator) Yeah baby, but it is a fast whale!
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 08:41 PM
Registered User
NanoDave's Avatar
Los Angeles, Ca
Joined Jul 2004
857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombay View Post

Thanks for the kind words. My wife said it looks like a whale (what an ego deflator) Yeah baby, but it is a fast whale!
Hey no need to feel bad about that... could be a Killer Whale!
NanoDave is offline Find More Posts by NanoDave
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 12:32 AM
Nice User
niceplanes's Avatar
United States, CA, Irvine
Joined Dec 2010
20 Posts
Ultracote covered Nanoshark

Here is my Nanoshark. It is all covered with Ultracote, which I think makes it more colorful, and also adds quite a bit of strength. My Nanoshark is powered by a Microdan 2505-2900, Hobbywing Platinum 40A ESC, and uses HXT500 servos all around .

These are my mods, mainly reinforcements adding strength to the plane structure and probably overkill, but I had fun building it

- Longer wing CF spar (thanks, Dave!). It goes pretty much to the entire length of the middle depron layer inside the wings. That should make the main wing stronger overall.
- Before sandwiching the wing, I added CF strips in V shape inside the wing, from the wing tips to the middle depron layer, front and back, overlapping about an inch with the main CF spar. That should help keep the wing tips straight on my not-so-perfect landings.
- After building/sanding the wing I lightly sanded the surface of the wing tips and also around the entire leading edge, top and bottom, then covered with thin CA, let it soak and cure, and then sanded again for smoothness. More strength.
- Used the balsa elevator half on the bottom, rather than on top. This way the elevator control horn can have a more solid grip.
- Epoxied 1/64 ply inside the front of the fuselage, both in the upper and lower chambers, from the motor mount to the main wing spar. Epoxied tri-stock between the motor mount and the 1/64 ply. This should help with the vibration of more powerful motors.
- Brushed the entire inside of the fuse lower chamber with thinned epoxy (30 min epoxy diluted with some isopropyl alcohol), then pressed down some light fiberglass cloth throughout the length of the fuselage, including the lateral walls, then brushed some more thinned epoxy to soak the fiberglass cloth well. This is because in the past I managed to cart-wheel a Babyshark on a bad landing, and the fuse broke in two pieces. It should be rock solid now
- Covered the entire plane with Ultracote.
- Used a 30mm aluminum spinner. It looks cool, and it may add a few mph due to the more aerodynamic shape.

All covered and including all electronics, motor, spinner, etc, without the battery the plane weighs 288g (10.1oz). That's 1.6oz more than the advertised dry weight, but I think the extra strength is worth it.

So far I only flew my Nanoshark with Rhino 3S 1050mAh 40C batteries and an APC 5x5 prop. Like its Babyshark and Balsa Babyshark cousins, the Nanoshark flies and looks beautifully in the air. It is extremely stable, maybe a little bit more docile than its smaller cousins, and definitely easier to see due to its larger size. It's quite fast on 3S, and it glides very well, also. I'll try it on 4S as soon as my batteries order arrives from Hobbyking, and maybe try other motors, also, although right now I don't really feel the need for more; the power to weight ratio on this plane is insane.
niceplanes is offline Find More Posts by niceplanes
Last edited by niceplanes; Apr 28, 2012 at 01:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2012, 01:21 AM
Registered User
NanoDave's Avatar
Los Angeles, Ca
Joined Jul 2004
857 Posts
Niceplanes,

What a great job on your Nanoshark! All the Mod's you did should make a very strong & nice flying Nanoshark. And the finish is awesome too!

btw, it was nice to meet you at the RCX show!

Dave
NanoDave is offline Find More Posts by NanoDave
Reply With Quote
Old May 06, 2012, 11:52 AM
Nice User
niceplanes's Avatar
United States, CA, Irvine
Joined Dec 2010
20 Posts
Dave, thanks for the kind words. Have you tried adding rudder to the Nanoshark?
niceplanes is offline Find More Posts by niceplanes
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log Babyshark ARF - High Performance Depron Foamie NanoDave Foamies (Kits) 265 Jul 29, 2013 02:42 AM
New Product High Performance Depron Babyshark by Nanoplanes.net NanoDave Foamies (Kits) 1 Nov 07, 2010 10:31 PM
Discussion High performance pretzel drive bill34207 Racing Boats - Electric 8 Oct 25, 2010 09:21 PM
Sold ARF P-51 Mustang 60 to 90 Gas Nitro R/C RC Airplane ARF/NEW rondo35 Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Oct 21, 2010 09:23 PM
Question Advice for EP high performance 2M full house Jim Walker Electric Sailplanes 11 Oct 21, 2010 09:12 PM