HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 15, 2010, 12:19 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabledawg1 View Post
no, these were not the wings I snapped in half. I got another kit from a guy who didnt like the plane and i needed a new fuselage. He threw in everything and I ended up using his wings to see how it flew without the extra weight of the flaps and lights. I couldnt tell a difference though...weight wise. I left his wings on and those are the ones that snapped.
Did the flaps help much on landings?
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2010, 01:15 PM
What's tomorrows forecast?
indiana
Joined Jun 2009
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeonflyer View Post
Hi you all out there,
I couldn't resist and ordered one from HobbyCity last weekend, despite all the warnings...
Having read through your comments I decided to do, before its maiden, the recommended modifications (strendthened firewall&gear structure; stronger pushrods; altered battery compartment to save servo and pack; some extra weight in anterior section to be on the nose-heavy side).
Any other suggestions?
Does flying this plane need TX exponential settings for ailerons or elevator? I understood that you need to fly (and land) it with speed rather than slow it out. But what does it do if you do try to fly slower? Stable enough or prone to stalling?
Thanx,
A wise man... learning form others mistakes! Congrats on the purchase, i think you made a good decision. it is prone to stalling when flying at super slow speeds but just keep it level and there should be no problems. i do not use any tx settings in my spectrum.
lets us know how the maiden goes!
coinworker is offline Find More Posts by coinworker
Old Jul 15, 2010, 06:07 PM
USA, VA, Newport News
Joined Jan 2010
1,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70 View Post
Did the flaps help much on landings?
I mixed in some down elevator with the flaps. I dont know if it helps you land better, but it does slow down the speed you need for landing. Frankly, once I figured out that you need to allways land on the rears first.....I never had a problem with landing. You might think that 3 point landings are ideal...but with the firewall being the weak area, touching down on the mains first is the way to go.
Try this nifty trick on your landings. Get the plane 50 feet in the air and 50 feet from the edge of the runway. Cut power completely. See what the plane does....with no elevator inputs, it should have a 20-30 degree glide slope.....trim your plane....ie, move the battery back or forward, adjust trims....until you get the right glide slope.....slight flair at touchdown to get the mains to touch first and youre down.
I make these trims on low rates....I land and take off on low rates.
Cabledawg1 is offline Find More Posts by Cabledawg1
Old Jul 15, 2010, 06:17 PM
indiana
Joined Jun 2009
288 Posts
That's all with flaps right?
Old Jul 15, 2010, 08:45 PM
USA, VA, Newport News
Joined Jan 2010
1,517 Posts
Thats with or without flaps...something like this
Tucson Aerobatic Shootout 2009 - Todd Bridges One Wing Landing - Presented By Model Airplane News (6 min 9 sec)
Old Jul 18, 2010, 11:52 PM
Joined Jul 2010
15 Posts
Oops...

So, I maidened my Cessna 400 yesterday. After spending considerable time reading this forum I made sure that I had done some mods, including moving the battery forward, strengthening the nose gear mount etc etc.

It was nicely set up and trimmed. I took off and it was obvious that even after moving the CG forward that it was tail heavy. After a couple of circuits it flipped onto its back and ploughed in...

Ouch - but it survived this with little to no damage.

Ok - another take off - this time it went almost vertical to about 100 feet, flipped over and nose-dived in..

Ahhhhh.

Lots of damage - the whole front of the aircraft nearly destroyed. After examiniation, I think I have had a catastrophic failure of the elevator control rods and that they have slipped in the connector on the servo.....

Believe it or not, I managed to spend 3 hours rebuilding it yesterday afteroon and it is now in an almost flyable condition.

One problem I do have is that the prop shaft is bent. The prop adapter mounts to the back of the motor case i.e. the motor shaft faces backwards and is not used - I've never actually seen this type of adapter before - and can't seem to find anything like it online. Does anyone have any ideas where I could get one similiar?
Paul66 is offline Find More Posts by Paul66
Old Jul 19, 2010, 12:15 AM
USA, VA, Newport News
Joined Jan 2010
1,517 Posts
When I wrecked mine the first time, I also bent the motor shaft and the motor mount. I looked everywhere for a new shaft. I called Nitroplanes where I got it...they did not have a replacement part.
Your only solution is to get another motor....there are plenty of choices out there...anywhere from a 480 to a Power 15 is fine...heavier is better if you need weight in the front.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 01:36 PM
indiana
Joined Jun 2009
288 Posts
Sorry about the crash paul66... that sucks. i dread the day i wreck mine. this plane is to good looking to become like my supercub... i call it Frankenstein. that plane is held together by tape, glue, popsicle sticks and duct tape....
Old Jul 19, 2010, 01:58 PM
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,600 Posts
Bummer about your plane Paul66. What CG location were you using? The manual calls for 80mm. I've got my father's all finished--MonsterPower 10 motor, 40a esc, considerable nose gear mods, new/stronger elev. pushrods, etc. My CG (with a 2200mah 20c) is at 72mm. I'm considering adding some more nose weight for the maiden to push the CG up to 70mm.

What say all you that are successfully flying this bird??
Old Jul 19, 2010, 02:27 PM
indiana
Joined Jun 2009
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70 View Post
Bummer about your plane Paul66. What CG location were you using? The manual calls for 80mm. I've got my father's all finished--MonsterPower 10 motor, 40a esc, considerable nose gear mods, new/stronger elev. pushrods, etc. My CG (with a 2200mah 20c) is at 72mm. I'm considering adding some more nose weight for the maiden to push the CG up to 70mm.

What say all you that are successfully flying this bird??
Your cg sounds like it's in a good location. I love flying this plane... let us know how the flight goes.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 02:43 PM
USA, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Apr 2009
73 Posts
sorry for not posting in awhile but ive got 4 new birds to build, test, and fly.
(spitfire, p-40, a-10, and a f-15)

i went out the other day to fly mine, things were going good so i got out my wifes cam so i could film the flight with flaps and so on. i did a low fly by inverted came around to do a barleroll and got5 halfway around and was to close to the ground and crashed...... i was able to pull up at the last min and save the plane from being trashed. the only damage was the nose gear came off and the was it. ill get the vid on youtube, you can see the impact with the ground but the tumble was out of the frame.
i thought my bird was trashed but there was hardly any damage.

if you have not tryed running flaps yet you are missing out on some VERY VERY SOLW LANDINGS, so slow you could walk up and grab it from out the air.
Pono420 is offline Find More Posts by Pono420
Old Jul 19, 2010, 10:25 PM
indiana
Joined Jun 2009
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pono420 View Post
sorry for not posting in awhile but ive got 4 new birds to build, test, and fly.
(spitfire, p-40, a-10, and a f-15)

i went out the other day to fly mine, things were going good so i got out my wifes cam so i could film the flight with flaps and so on. i did a low fly by inverted came around to do a barleroll and got5 halfway around and was to close to the ground and crashed...... i was able to pull up at the last min and save the plane from being trashed. the only damage was the nose gear came off and the was it. ill get the vid on youtube, you can see the impact with the ground but the tumble was out of the frame.
i thought my bird was trashed but there was hardly any damage.

if you have not tryed running flaps yet you are missing out on some VERY VERY SOLW LANDINGS, so slow you could walk up and grab it from out the air.
looking forward to the vid... glad the wreck wasn't a total
Old Jul 20, 2010, 01:52 AM
Joined Jul 2010
15 Posts
My CG was about 5mm forward of the recommended point - I think I will push this forward an extra 5mm or so - that is when I can sort out either a new prop adapter or a new motor..... :-)
Paul66 is offline Find More Posts by Paul66
Old Jul 20, 2010, 07:18 AM
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul66 View Post
My CG was about 5mm forward of the recommended point - I think I will push this forward an extra 5mm or so - that is when I can sort out either a new prop adapter or a new motor..... :-)
Get a MonsterPower 10 from Hobbypartz.com ($18!). The extra weight will help move your CG...
Old Jul 28, 2010, 04:13 AM
Hungary, Europe
Joined Feb 2009
109 Posts
Received the pack from HobbyCity, the plane is probably just slightly different from the Nitroplanes version.
The first impressions are that the plane looks really nice and scale, and I also like the smooth, shiny finish of the foam, suggesting high quality material. However, there are minor scratches and depressions on the wing surface and the decals are pealing off at some more exposed parts.
My major concern appearing for first sight is the small wing surface area for the size and AUW of the model and for the apparently insufficient power that motor can provide. This plane does look to me a fast one, combined with low wing characteristics, warning me to be cautious when trying to fly it for the first time. The arrangement of the battery in its compartment is really ridiculuous: the sharp end of the pushrod travels with the servo arm just to the right position to be able to punch the LiPo pack. Must enlarge the compartment and restrain the pack from sliding back.

Wondering which motor to choose from HobbyCity (HobbyKing) to replace that trash one originally coming with the plane. Any suggestion?

Pono420: what size servos did you install for flaps: 9g or maybe smaller? It would really be nice to see a vid on your slow landings. Sounds almost unbelieveble for this plane.

Hope mine will be flight-ready soon.
Pigeonflyer is offline Find More Posts by Pigeonflyer
Last edited by Pigeonflyer; Jul 29, 2010 at 04:04 AM.