SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 04, 2009, 02:40 PM
Westbrook Maine
Joined Apr 2003
594 Posts
Discussion
Itcanfly / Snap & Fly Mods

I got my Itcanfly set this week, and have already found myself making changes.

The only reason for the wing mod is to prevent dings to the leading edge. I flew my biplane into a tree (no leaves here yet) and put a couple nice dings in it.

I have added a .5 carbon rod to the leading edge of all three of the airframes. I only have done this to the top wing of the biplane, and the canard's canard. The V tail is a bit tricky to do this, but with a partial cut of the rod it does work.

Next I plan on trying to find a good way of putting landing gear on the pod. I have already scraped mine up a bit landing on the street.

Please post your mods here. I will attach some pictures later on.
fmhans is offline Find More Posts by fmhans
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2009, 08:46 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,216 Posts
well are you going to say how they fly or what?
airpower is online now Find More Posts by airpower
Old Apr 04, 2009, 09:57 PM
Westbrook Maine
Joined Apr 2003
594 Posts
How they fly...

These planes fly out of the box, and they don't require much work between airframe changes. It takes about fifteen seconds to switch from the biplane to either the V tail or the Canard, and change the mixing. I was really worried about trim issues, there are none. It would be nice to have a computer radio to remember the exact settings and trim for each airframe, but the apparent tight tolerances used when building the pod / airframe really pay off. I have had a few spectacular landings with the pod, and battery separating. No noticeable damage to report, other than dinged leading edges on my wings, and some scuff marks on the bottom of my pod.

All of these will loop from level flight, none looses more than 5-10' (this is an estimate) and although I have not tried it, I think they have enough thrust to keep looping for quite some time.

The biplane seemed very fast to me the first time I flew it, but once I realized that I only needed about 20-30% of the throttle to fly level, it slowed down nicely. It will really move at 100% power.
I am very happy with this airframe. I have about 60 minutes on this airframe at this time.

The V Tail is also quick, but will slow down (it is a bit faster than a PZ Cessna 210, but not much. It also has no bad tenancies that I have found. I have about 30 minutes on this airframe now.

The Canard is fun to fly, and I am just now getting used to it... in other words it is fast, and will pretty much fly where you point it, I have pointed mine at the ground a couple of times and it is no worse for wear. I have two flights on it so far, totaling about 10 minutes. It will roll, it will stay on edge as long as you are pulling back on the elevator, but without the turn, it dives pretty fast.

Throttle management is key for these, models, they all are pretty tame until you pass 70% power, then they are pretty fast. That said, my first flights at 80-100% for the entire time were over 10 minutes, and the batteries had more room.

Hope this helps, here are the Pics of my carbon leading edges and some other angles.

Fritz
Old Apr 04, 2009, 10:19 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,216 Posts
only a bit faster than the Cessna 210? i would expect more from a 8mm direct drive powertrain. seems really cool though, great idea, very unique,
Old Apr 05, 2009, 12:04 PM
soar-ne
omaha ne
Joined May 2005
768 Posts
Is the TX set-up in a conventional mode??

Bob
soar-ne is offline Find More Posts by soar-ne
Old Apr 05, 2009, 02:07 PM
Suspended Account
Utica Il.
Joined Dec 2002
4,222 Posts
YES,
You can setup the Tx for either Mode you wish

VERY nice unit
Randy
termite is offline Find More Posts by termite
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 05, 2009, 04:42 PM
Micro Addict!!!
Vale of Shadows, Ontario, Canada.
Joined Feb 2008
306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower
only a bit faster than the Cessna 210? i would expect more from a 8mm direct drive powertrain. seems really cool though, great idea, very unique,

8mm motor???

I thought it was a 7mm motor

Which is it?
AlphaWolf is offline Find More Posts by AlphaWolf
Old Apr 05, 2009, 04:46 PM
Suspended Account
Utica Il.
Joined Dec 2002
4,222 Posts
7mm it is

Looks same as Plantraco white endbell
Randy
Old Apr 05, 2009, 05:05 PM
Micro Addict!!!
Vale of Shadows, Ontario, Canada.
Joined Feb 2008
306 Posts
Are the connectors the same?
AlphaWolf is offline Find More Posts by AlphaWolf
Old Apr 05, 2009, 05:46 PM
Suspended Account
Utica Il.
Joined Dec 2002
4,222 Posts
YEP

all but the batteries
Randy
Old Apr 05, 2009, 09:02 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,216 Posts
okay, 7mm, that makes sense, thanks for the correction
Old Apr 09, 2009, 10:56 AM
Westbrook Maine
Joined Apr 2003
594 Posts
I was flying the v tail at the park yesterday and flew straight into a iron lamp post. I am happy to say that it was straight on, and not one wing... I broke the prop and the motor stopped functioning correctly. The included spare was installed within minutes (taking the new prop off took the most time, and I was flying again. this is a really nice motor mount. Light, and replacement motors can click in and out without any tools.

Fritz
Old Apr 12, 2009, 08:04 AM
Joined Dec 2008
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmhans
I was flying the v tail at the park yesterday and flew straight into a iron lamp post. I am happy to say that it was straight on, and not one wing... I broke the prop and the motor stopped functioning correctly. The included spare was installed within minutes (taking the new prop off took the most time, and I was flying again. this is a really nice motor mount. Light, and replacement motors can click in and out without any tools.

Fritz
Hi Fritz,

I see you already using the replacement parts. We do have limited quantities of all parts (not enough to put online at this moment, but will be in about 3 weeks). Please send me an email if you need parts.

Thanks.

Jie
ItCanFly is offline Find More Posts by ItCanFly
Old Jul 01, 2009, 10:43 AM
Soaring Fanatic!
Joined Dec 2008
801 Posts
Just purchased a set and charged the batteries. I noticed that after charging, the "AA" batteries were down to 3/4th power and radio lost the signal with the powerpod very easily. After installing a newly charged AA batts., all worked well again.

I'm wondering if the charger/radio can safely charge batteries that are only slightly depleted?
8thelephant is offline Find More Posts by 8thelephant
Old Feb 26, 2010, 01:00 PM
Crash Dummy!!!
Dallas Love, Texas, United States
Joined Jun 2004
327 Posts
Has anyone put some wheels on their 3&1 airplanes?

It's just not the same hand launching.
bhenry is offline Find More Posts by bhenry