HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 11, 2007, 12:49 AM
USA, WA, Arlington
Joined Feb 2007
29 Posts
Discussion
Remember When

Anyone remember when diesel combat made the hair on your back stand up and send chills down your spine.Here's a link to a site that one of our flyer's forgot to keep up to day on the events and postings,it might bring back some memories.Terry (Jurgen check it out 70mph) http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/dieselcombat/index.htm
Gobbler is offline Find More Posts by Gobbler
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2007, 02:25 AM
Heathcote, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
579 Posts
Yeah, that and Thunderbird stunters, Fox 36x and Ureel control line winders all in the last half of last century. Also used to be able to buy either and amyl nitrate, try that today!
slowflow is offline Find More Posts by slowflow
Old Nov 12, 2007, 02:39 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobbler
Anyone remember when diesel combat made the hair on your back stand up and send chills down your spine.
Yep, I may be getting old but I can still remember a couple of weeks ago .

Steve
slipstick is online now Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Nov 13, 2007, 01:13 PM
USA, WA, Arlington
Joined Feb 2007
29 Posts
You can buy either at your local John deer dealer /bulk kerosene at any fuel distributor/diesel fuel booster/improver at any truck supply or truck stop.Then contact Dr.Diesel for mixing % or just buy premixed either diesel at your local hobby store 22.00 a gal.Yaaaa does smell better than that other fuel.Terry
Gobbler is offline Find More Posts by Gobbler
Old Jan 07, 2008, 09:29 PM
Anderson, SC
Joined Jan 2005
71 Posts
Yeah, I remember in the late 1940s watching the "big guys" in Brooklyn flying Drone diesel-powered Zilch
C/L models, while I was tossing Thermic B gliders around, and running to tow my Thermic C towline glider.
I remember the distinctive AROMA of Ohlsson & Rice glow fuel. The stuff nowadays
doesn't smell the same. I wonder what it was about it that smelled that way.

Frank in Anderson, SC
Frank Rothmann is offline Find More Posts by Frank Rothmann
Old Jan 08, 2008, 07:19 PM
Joined Apr 2006
4 Posts
Frank,
It's the castor oil in the fuel that gives it that special aroma. Most fuel today uses mostly or all synthetic oil.
Ole Bob
bsmith is offline Find More Posts by bsmith
Old Jan 09, 2008, 11:05 AM
Anderson, SC
Joined Jan 2005
71 Posts
Ukies, etc.

Hey, Ole Bob & others:
Isn't Castor oil better for our engines than synthetic oils ?
I thought the 4-strokes did better on Castor than synthetic.

I remember the Diesel fuel they used in those .29 Drone Diesels,
and the smell of ether. Loved that aroma. They were the devil
to start especially in the winter, probably partially due to the
fixed-compression head. I was only a kid then and never had
a Diesel. Those things could really kick-back !

I do remember that R/C was in its infancy then, with rudder only
escapement control. One "old" guy (probably in his 30s then),
had a plane called "Rudder Bug" designed by Walter Good
(Wow what a memory !). The thing never even got off the ground
either engine problems or radio malfunction.

The ukies were the mainstay there in Brooklyn with the guys
returning from WW II.

Pity that they discontinued the U-Reely handle. It was a realy convenient device. Both for line storage and being to vary the length of your lines.
I guess it was for safety reasons, but surely they could design-in better
reliability. I still have one which I would only use for small ships. (.15-25 size)

I remember one guy actually launched his own C/L plane on 3 or 4 foot lines and then released the lines to quickly get to the 60' lines for the actual flight. He didn't need any halp to release the plane nor did he use a stooge release.I don't think I would ever attempt that trick, but he did pretty good on his own.
Frank
Frank Rothmann is offline Find More Posts by Frank Rothmann
Old Jan 09, 2008, 11:58 AM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
I've heard of that, never saw it, didn't have the guts to try it myself!

What I DID do, however, was jam a tire iron in the ground half way out the lines, then bring the model back to the handle. Start the engine, check the controls, grab the handle, release the model, it's airborne. Sure beats a stooge for quick & easy IMHO. Did it work first time? No, it took a couple of adjustments, ie, slightly tilt the iron to hold the lines down, keep the model on the ground until it is free of the iron, little things like that. Wheee!
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Jan 13, 2008, 07:28 PM
Greggles47
Sydney OZ
Joined May 2007
408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobbler
You can buy either at your local John deer dealer /bulk kerosene at any fuel distributor/diesel fuel booster/improver at any truck supply or truck stop.Then contact Dr.Diesel for mixing % or just buy premixed either diesel at your local hobby store 22.00 a gal.Yaaaa does smell better than that other fuel.Terry
There's not many John Deer dealers in suburban Sydney (OZ), but ether can be sourced from the Team Race fliers...gotta search a bit. Kero is dead easy, but race testing has show it to be variable quality, Jet A1 seems the way to go. Castor is reasonably easy to get.
Unfortunately most hobby shops wouldn't know a diesel if it bit them on the bellcrank.

Regards

Greg
greggles47 is online now Find More Posts by greggles47
Old Jan 14, 2008, 07:36 PM
North London ENGLAND
Joined Dec 2006
1,648 Posts
Now for a really nice sound and sight, a "Babette" with a Nordec up front on song! Way back when Dave Platt and I were in short pants on the local rec ground, Ron Moulton flying speed C/L with the first Allbon red=head glow engine we had seen.Weird way to start an engine, but it sure went quick with that helmet cowl ; like a mini DeBolt "Speedwagon"!.
Surprising how many of us from those days are still chucking balsa in the air!
macboffin is offline Find More Posts by macboffin