SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 13, 2014, 02:58 PM
Joined Feb 2014
44 Posts
Question
Lipo battery capacity rises 1/2 hour after use

Hi,

I have a Zippy compact 1000mah 25C LIPO and using a Hobbyking Cellmate 7 to check the battery level right after use on foamie trainer aircraft. The plane has a an turnigy 1100kv motor (max current is 18A) - most of the time I'm around half throttle.

Right after 10 minutes of use I check the battery level and the reading shows 14%. Half hour later I check it again and I notice the capacity is 29%.

The battery does not seem to be puffed, never felt is was hot.

Is it normal for a lipo battery's capacity level to rise afterwards?

Thanks!

Thanks.
dropout is offline Find More Posts by dropout
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2014, 03:04 PM
Florida
Joined Aug 2004
4,135 Posts
Yes, it is normal. After disconnecting from use and left to rest a few minutes, the open circuit voltage will increase a bit.
Rodney is offline Find More Posts by Rodney
Old Oct 13, 2014, 03:04 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,006 Posts
The capacity doesn't really rise but the voltage does and since the capacity reading is derived from the voltage reading, it appears to rise.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Oct 13, 2014, 06:06 PM
Joined Feb 2014
44 Posts
Thanks!
The LIPO is 3S for 11.1 Volts. When fully charged the voltage reading is 12.6 volts. How low can voltage go before I stop using it? Is the safe threshold 11.1 V or can it go even lower.
I've read elsewhere safe theshold is no less that 11.1 V since that is 3.7 V / cell. But the voltage cut off in the ESC is often times less 3.7 V / cell.
With the ESC I'm using the low voltage threshold can be set to low / high - both of these setting are less than 3.7 V / cell. So that leads me to believe the low voltage threshold is even lower than that.
dropout is offline Find More Posts by dropout
Old Oct 13, 2014, 06:37 PM
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined May 2014
785 Posts
For maximum life, you shouldn't go below about 11.2V resting voltage, which is the voltage you measure after the battery has had a few minutes to recover. The minimum voltage under load will depend on the internal resistance of the cells and the amp draw of the motor.
James_S is offline Find More Posts by James_S
Old Oct 13, 2014, 08:57 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropout View Post
Thanks!
The LIPO is 3S for 11.1 Volts. When fully charged the voltage reading is 12.6 volts. How low can voltage go before I stop using it? Is the safe threshold 11.1 V or can it go even lower.
Set the LVC at a voltage that leaves your pack at 3.7+V/cell after landing and disconnected. It probably will be anywhere between 3.0 and 3.4V. Depends on the C-rate draw of your setup. The higher the C-rate draw the lower the pack voltage will drop during discharge and the more it will rebound after landing. There is no "one LVC setting" for all applications.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 12:41 AM
"long stretch of water..."
Australia, NSW, Stuarts Point
Joined Jun 2014
206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Set the LVC at a voltage that leaves your pack at 3.7+V/cell after landing and disconnected. It probably will be anywhere between 3.0 and 3.4V. Depends on the C-rate draw of your setup. The higher the C-rate draw the lower the pack voltage will drop during discharge and the more it will rebound after landing. There is no "one LVC setting" for all applications.
Hoppy I just bought a HK low voltage alarm which goes off quite loud at 3.3 volts. I thought this was a little low but maybe it's set just right if the voltage will rise afterwards.

Pat
coongoola is offline Find More Posts by coongoola
Old Oct 14, 2014, 01:02 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,006 Posts
The voltage will absolutely rise afterwards.
After that alarm goes off, what is the voltage of the pack 5 min after disconnecting it from the plane? Anything over 3.7V/cell is OK.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 01:22 PM
Joined Jun 2014
206 Posts
Hoppy I haven't tried it in the plane yet. I've only connected it to check it out. A lot of reviewers said the cut out voltage of 3.3 was too low but if it settles at around 3.7 then that's fine. 😁
Old Oct 14, 2014, 04:31 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,006 Posts
That's correct.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 03:13 AM
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Jun 2007
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coongoola View Post
Hoppy I haven't tried it in the plane yet. I've only connected it to check it out. A lot of reviewers said the cut out voltage of 3.3 was too low but if it settles at around 3.7 then that's fine. 😁
Check your documentation on the tester/alarm, the ones I have can be set to 0ff...or 2.7v-3.8v, maybe your alarm voltage can be set to...
brentg is online now Find More Posts by brentg
Old Oct 15, 2014, 03:19 AM
Joined Jun 2014
206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentg View Post
Check your documentation on the tester/alarm, the ones I have can be set to 0ff...or 2.7v-3.8v, maybe your alarm voltage can be set to...
Brent this is only a cheap HK unit... nothing fancy at all, and I'm pretty sure that you can't change the voltage cutout. It seems fixed at 3.3v.

Pat
Old Oct 15, 2014, 04:40 AM
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Jun 2007
113 Posts
Oh ok, I thought you had the HK /GT clone cell check/alarm..
brentg is online now Find More Posts by brentg