SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 15, 2014, 08:33 PM
Eye in the Sky
United States, WV
Joined Sep 2013
1,529 Posts
Discussion
HPHeli X-2 350 Size Coaxial Outdoor Heli

Was on Electric Heli talk thread asking about an F1 Heli. One poster suggested this Heli.

I am a beginner in Heli's and wanted something to fly outside. Seems this may be the Heli to do so

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...elicopter.html

seems to fit the bill for anyone, beginner to experienced. Have not seen any thread about this Heli. thought i would ask about it, someone may know more about it.

Anyone own this one ?

And a Special Thanks to Baddmove for pointing this one out.
HGhost is offline Find More Posts by HGhost
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2014, 10:21 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
That's very much a niche product in a small market. Coaxes are not exactly hot sellers, so a gimmicky coax doesn't attract a lot of interest. That one also has had durability and reliability issues and needs some expensive upgrades. Here's the thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1560657.

If you can get past these issues, it probably would fit your needs pretty well. Just don't make sudden turns.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Last edited by Balr14; Jan 15, 2014 at 10:33 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 11:04 PM
Eye in the Sky
United States, WV
Joined Sep 2013
1,529 Posts
What's Up ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
That's very much a niche product in a small market. Coaxes are not exactly hot sellers, so a gimmicky coax doesn't attract a lot of interest. That one also has had durability and reliability issues and needs some expensive upgrades. Here's the thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1560657.

If you can get past these issues, it probably would fit your needs pretty well. Just don't make sudden turns.
I have one question, why are you so down on Co-Axial's ?

I read most of the posts on the link you gave, seems to me there are tons of people who are buying them and enjoying them. But like any product , there is always some sort of issues that need to be dealt with. Why there are so many Mod forums for almost everything made.And parts to be sold and sought for.

And it does seem to fit what i am looking for. I am not going to fly in 15-20 mph winds by no means as i watched one person do, but I have flown a Champ in 10-15 mph winds and people said it could not be done, but in fact flies very well in the wind, and without Mods. And it weighs only a few ounces.
So to fly a Heli in 3 to 7 mph winds as most winds are in that range on normal days that would be Great, to me anyway.
I see where they are trying to keep those threads going even now, so it must do pretty well, because for a gimmick they sure have sold allot of them, and still are.

If you can give me a true alternative to consider outside of a 5 to 6 hundred dollar Quad, I will indeed consider it and research about it.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 11:09 PM
I'm Tri'n,you Tri'n?
United States, WA, Pullman
Joined Sep 2013
510 Posts
Durability? you bet..watch this video...skip to the outdoors part (2:45) where they drop it out of the sky..3 times..lol..

ParkRCModels.Com ExtremeFlyers X350-5A2 Helicopter (4 min 15 sec)
Baddmove is offline Find More Posts by Baddmove
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2014, 11:29 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
I started with coaxes (like most people), so I still have a warm spot for the models I started with. I spent over a year and lots of money trying to get a tandem coax to perform. But, I'm a realist; they have serious performance limitations. They have too much mechanical complexity, which means durability and reliability issues. The market has pretty much dried up, so there just aren't many good ones left. With the advances in electronics and design, any single rotor heli or quad will easily out-perform a coax. They are almost all more durable and reliable, not much more difficult to fly and don't cost any more.

At any rate, those are my reasons. But, I do agree this model is perfect for you.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 11:47 PM
Eye in the Sky
United States, WV
Joined Sep 2013
1,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddmove View Post
Durability? you bet..watch this video...skip to the outdoors part (2:45) where they drop it out of the sky..3 times..lol..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP_prcDz0ZI
Baddmove , planes drop from less height and be destroyed, that is a pretty good video .

Ever see the Military version ? I saw it on one forum, can not find that version at any Hobby shop tho. Thought that looked real good.
Seems the Russians like Co-axial Heli's they have been building them for years and now even America is buying them from the Russians, is what I heard .
Old Jan 16, 2014, 12:04 AM
Eye in the Sky
United States, WV
Joined Sep 2013
1,529 Posts
Quote:
I started with coaxes (like most people), so I still have a warm spot for the models I started with. I spent over a year and lots of money trying to get a tandem coax to perform. But, I'm a realist; they have serious performance limitations. They have too much mechanical complexity, which means durability and reliability issues. The market has pretty much dried up, so there just aren't many good ones left. With the advances in electronics and design, any single rotor heli or quad will easily out-perform a coax. They are almost all more durable and reliable, not much more difficult to fly and don't cost any more.

At any rate, those are my reasons. But, I do agree this model is perfect for you.
I have been reading these forums and have yet to read where coax Helis have dried up. Every Hobby shop sells them ? As the one just mentioned is still selling great. And the Only quads I have seen that will actually fly outside start at 4 to 5 hundred bucks . And Most Single rotor Heli's that will do the same are not much cheaper. And as I read these forums trying to find out about such, i see a host of issues and problems and durability problems with both as well.

In honesty I still like my Syma S33, it flies great when it's calm outside, but again in the wind it simply will not do the task. And why I am in search of something close to that design to do just that.

I mean no offense, but seems every product as i stated has it's issues, both good and bad and everyone has an opinion about them. Some differ from one another and why we have such forums and why I come to learn and hear all sides before I make my choices and decisions.

Thanks for your input just the same.And it is appreciated whether it seems that way or not.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 12:41 AM
Eye in the Sky
United States, WV
Joined Sep 2013
1,529 Posts
Liked this You tube video as well, it shows what the X350 can do. And in just that little bit, it did more than most single blade Heli's or Quads can do that i have watched on video's.

Extreme Flyers X350 in wind (2 min 19 sec)

Nice.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 12:46 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
As I said before, it's perfect for you.
Last edited by Balr14; Jan 21, 2014 at 05:24 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 01:08 PM
Eye in the Sky
United States, WV
Joined Sep 2013
1,529 Posts
Quote:
As I said before, it's perfect for you. However, just for grins, here's something more aggressive if you feel adventurous: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdO9E2FkmNA
Looks Good. I also see it has issues as well? Like everything else.

How will it do in High winds ? My guess not so good...but I never intend to fly in high winds anyway. Allot to consider . But willing to check everything out and consider it all.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 01:47 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
Old Jan 16, 2014, 03:22 PM
Eye in the Sky
United States, WV
Joined Sep 2013
1,529 Posts
Quote:
The rotating blades (of a heli, plane, quad, whatever) form a solid mass that air can not penetrate, sort of like a disk. Wind gets under that disk and lifts. The ability to handle wind requires very quick response, lots of movement authority and enough power to pitch into the wind and drive against it. Negative pitch helps, too.
Quads actually do quite well in wind as they have the properties needed to fight it. You have to understand, handling wind is as much mindset as it is equipment. Your X350 video shows somebody who can probably fly just about anything in wind. He's using a lot of techniques that are called "wind surfing" and people have been doing them for years. That he is able to do them at all with a coax is impressive.
I stated in another post I have flown a small Champ in High winds when others said it could not be done. And as a Flyer, I am still just a novice or maybe just an intermediate at best. So anythings possible. I have seen many video's of coax's flying in the wind, this one seems to do it much much better. Not sure about the Quad, seems more unstable. Watched an experienced guy on You tube reviewing it and even he had some difficulty in control, it wanted to drift away allot and that was on the lower settings. His advice never go to the high settings unless your an absolute expert. I saw other quads fly in wind as smooth as if there were none, so who knows ?
But again everything has it's issues, Planes, Heli's ,Quad's, they all have the good and the bad factors. People have preferences and reasons for it.

I wish I had a Heli, that looked like a real one that flew with ease like a coaxial and yet have the Single Rotor style and control and ability of the 3D style High Dollar Heli.....but that is more of a dream than a reality. Can't have it all.

If it is "The Best" it will be expensive and 6 + channels and would take a pro to fly it, and a novice would only tear it up, if they ever got it off the ground to start with.

Why not a very Large Quad that is inexpensive and can be flown by anyone, and can fly anywhere in all weather conditions ? Amazon states they are working on that.....Maybe by then we all will be flying them ?
Old Jan 16, 2014, 03:34 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
Old Jan 16, 2014, 04:56 PM
Orlando
Joined Jul 2005
74 Posts
X-2

I bought the Hobby People X-2 for myself at Christmas and I have nothing bad to say about it. I have flown it many times without issue and even managed to get it stuck 20 feet up in a tree. It fell down with out any damage. I think thats pretty good since I have had much more damage done to some other birds with much less impact. I have found it to have plenty of power and it is fast. The only issue I have had is when I installed the brushless kit, yeah I had too do it just to see. Well I could not get it to work and I think the ports on the 5 in 1 for brushless may be bad. Global is looking at it and I'm confidant they will send me back a nice flying coaxial. Stock the thing flew just great, as a matter of fact be easy on the throttle or youll get way to high way to fast. It was fun to fly and durable. Let me say that I have been in RC for 45 years and have flown a little bit of everything, fuel, electric, planes, heli's and multirotor. What I wanted in this was a simple easy and fun thing to fly just for fun. I have to say it was all of that.
Sur2crsh is offline Find More Posts by Sur2crsh
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:09 PM
Eye in the Sky
United States, WV
Joined Sep 2013
1,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sur2crsh View Post
I bought the Hobby People X-2 for myself at Christmas and I have nothing bad to say about it. I have flown it many times without issue and even managed to get it stuck 20 feet up in a tree. It fell down with out any damage. I think thats pretty good since I have had much more damage done to some other birds with much less impact. I have found it to have plenty of power and it is fast. The only issue I have had is when I installed the brushless kit, yeah I had too do it just to see. Well I could not get it to work and I think the ports on the 5 in 1 for brushless may be bad. Global is looking at it and I'm confidant they will send me back a nice flying coaxial. Stock the thing flew just great, as a matter of fact be easy on the throttle or youll get way to high way to fast. It was fun to fly and durable. Let me say that I have been in RC for 45 years and have flown a little bit of everything, fuel, electric, planes, heli's and multirotor. What I wanted in this was a simple easy and fun thing to fly just for fun. I have to say it was all of that.
Now that is a response about the actual Product in question, I been looking for. Someone who owns it has flown it and gives a experienced answer about it.

I have little experience with Heli's. I spent years buidling balsa planes and little flight knowledge. have just recently been flying planes after all those years. Just wanted a Heli to learn with, but with the ability to fly outside in some wind. As some i have seen, I have no intention on flying in 20+ MPH winds, but most days vary from 3-7 MPH and gusts can be 10 and that is just a typical day anywhere in the world. And that is what I would like to be able to do and with less stress as possible. Why I been asking about different Heli's. Was shown this one by another poster, seems to be what i am looking for.
Balr14 has been talking Quads and he is not so keen on Co-axial's , so I been debating on Heli-Quad and what to do. I own a Syma S33. It flies well when calm and I like it allot. However...any wind blows it away and it will not fly in it.
So....my thought get one that will and I have been searching these forums for one that an inexperienced person can fly and learn and not spend a ton of bucks trying to do it.
Baddmove suggested this X2....gave link and I watched allot of vids about it, and it looks promising. Balr14 says not so , and can be a problem and has issues....and that is where we have been now these past few days. And me still undecided and in question ?
You just may have helped turn the tide somewhat, with your experience with the X2 ....Thanks Sur2crsh.

You mentioned upgrades, I see those Brushless upgrades you made almost as much as the Heli itself ? And tell me what about those Aileron Power assists ? Just how does that work exactly ? And one other question what battery end is that a Deans T Conn. ?
Thanks again.