HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 14, 2014, 02:37 PM
Sheerness, England
Joined Aug 2008
8 Posts
Discussion
1950 Dolphin Model

Hi
Have been away for a while after the life game took a bit of a tumble (Divorce) ( . Anyway back here now and getting on with some modelling again ;D
My main interest is the older type stuff and I have just purchased from good ole E bay a Model called a Dolphin. It is a Aquila Model Boat construction Kit and Made by Modellers Supply Limited. I have found a advert for it in a old magazine (1950) which says it has just been introduced, but sadly no picture for it. I do have the box and have scanned the box picture. So I am looking for any pictures of completed models or any other literature that will help me rebuild it. Can anyone help ?
JohnWeast is offline Find More Posts by JohnWeast
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2014, 03:58 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Oct 2006
445 Posts
What have you actually got?

There is an ebay item here showing the kit http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-mo...p2047675.l2557

Are you saying that you have the kit, but no plan? I am very interested in making up plans for old boats - but we would need to see if it's all there first...
dodgy is offline Find More Posts by dodgy
Old Jan 14, 2014, 04:10 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Oct 2006
445 Posts
Oh, and this is a place which may have some data on what you have.

http://www.vintagemodelworks.co.uk/?page_id=9

May I respectfully suggest that, if you have a kit of parts, you don't start making up a boat until you have taken a record of all the items by scanning them? You may have the only example of that boat kit in existence, and it would be very helpful to other future modelers to preserve the components of it. I have a web site where such items can be stored and distributed to others free of charge...
Old Jan 15, 2014, 11:56 AM
Sheerness, England
Joined Aug 2008
8 Posts
Hi Dodgy, sadly its a half made project, with no plans. hence looking for some info. I will take some pictures of my other models which will be of interest to your group. I have a few !! I have met the chap whom you gave me the link to, very nice bloke.Also looked on his site but nothing there. I have a early Schuco Chris craft Catalina..that must be quite rare !
All the best John
Old Jan 15, 2014, 11:58 AM
Sheerness, England
Joined Aug 2008
8 Posts
The link to E bay you sent me is a model exactly the same..so there re at least two of them..But not the one I purchased.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 01:42 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Oct 2006
445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWeast View Post
Hi Dodgy, sadly its a half made project, with no plans. hence looking for some info. I will take some pictures of my other models which will be of interest to your group. I have a few !! I have met the chap whom you gave me the link to, very nice bloke.Also looked on his site but nothing there. I have a early Schuco Chris craft Catalina..that must be quite rare !
All the best John

I am sure we can do something - a photo of what you have got would be nice, and would give us some idea of the work to do....

Early designers used a lot of standard wood sizes, whole-number dimensions and standard french curves - they didn't have CAD systems! So it's sometimes surprising what can be inferred from a few slots in a bit of ply.

Have you chased the other ebay guy? It's always worth messaging the seller asking him to email the buyer and see if he's happy to do a photocopy of the plans...
Old Mar 22, 2014, 01:38 PM
Joined Mar 2014
1 Posts
I own one, and am currently restoring it, you can see my build log here

http://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/t17-ms-dolphin-mk2

Hope it helps, oh i've been rebuilding this on and off for the last 3 years...
Tugtower is offline Find More Posts by Tugtower
Old Mar 22, 2014, 03:06 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Oct 2006
445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugtower View Post
I own one, and am currently restoring it, you can see my build log here

http://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/t17-ms-dolphin-mk2

Hope it helps, oh i've been rebuilding this on and off for the last 3 years...
That looks like a very high-quality build!

I note from the forum that you hope to put together a set of drawings for this boat to save it from obscurity. I am putting together a web site to display and distribute such drawings. Perhaps you would be interested in putting it out there?