SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 17, 2013, 09:19 AM
Birmingham, AL
Joined Sep 2003
422 Posts
Discussion
Canopy Magnets

I would like to use some rare earth magnets to secure the canopy to the fuse on a phoenix K8B 3500. This would make cockpit access easier and avoid using the two bolts to secure the canopy.

What are the best size to use? I am afraid of going too strong & not being able to remove the canopy easily, or too small and not having the canopy secured.

Also should they be installed so the magnets slide apart during canopy removal or directly separate from each other? Or does it matter?

Appreciate any advice.
sleep4 is online now Find More Posts by sleep4
Last edited by sleep4; Dec 17, 2013 at 09:50 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2013, 07:25 AM
Joined Nov 2008
134 Posts
magnets

Hello Sleep,

in the Netherlands there are magnets to buy which are used in corsages, those flowerthings you wear during weddings on your jacket.
Peter V is offline Find More Posts by Peter V
Last edited by Peter V; Dec 18, 2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 04:49 PM
Joined Jan 2003
6,932 Posts
I've used magnets for canopies a couple of times. The 3/8" rare-earth magnets have plenty of holding power. If you use a pin to secure the front of the canopy, two of the 3/8"magnets will hold the rear fine. To open, hook a fingernail under the rear of the canopy and lift.

I usually build a small "shelf" in the fuselage for that side. I put a piece of wax paper or drop-cloth plastic over the magnet, apply the other magnet, apply a blob of E-6000 glue to the back of the magnet, and close the canopy. Wait 24-48 hours for the E-6000 to cure, then try opening your canopy.

I use E-6000 or Goop for adhesive, since it stays flexible for years, and holds the magents really well.
slopemeno is offline Find More Posts by slopemeno
Old Dec 19, 2013, 07:06 PM
United States, WA, Kirkland
Joined Sep 2007
203 Posts
Harbor Freight has some at a cheap price....

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-piec...ets-67488.html
aeronca11AC is offline Find More Posts by aeronca11AC
Old Dec 25, 2013, 10:28 PM
let's FLY!
United States, VT, Castleton
Joined Dec 2007
2,125 Posts
http://www.kjmagnetics.com/categories.asp Huge variety of sizes and shapes.

The slide release idea is interesting. Sure would make removal easier. I've pulled the magnet/adhesive out a couple times in foam planes with a direct pull installation.

Figure out which side is which before you glue them in....it sucks to glue them in only to find that they repel each other! (yeah, I've done that ) Slopemeno's idea of installing them while stuck together would prevent that issue. I sand the back & sides of the magnets with 100g to improve adhesion.
JimZinVT is offline Find More Posts by JimZinVT