HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:20 PM
United States, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Aug 2006
1,564 Posts
Oh come on Tom, they were just patterning their new guns Amusing story!

Congrats to the new team! I too wish I could have been there this year but it wasn't in the cards. It sounds like a good fair contest decided the team and that is the most important part. Looking forward to seeing this group of WC verterans in Germany next summer!!
Avaldes is offline Find More Posts by Avaldes
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:14 PM
Fly R/C writer
Redlands, Ca
Joined Dec 2004
1,948 Posts
Hey, T. Watson....

The guys who "persuaded" me to do the CD thing probably thought this out pretty well. Knowing that whoever ended up with the job would be looking for a tall tree to stretch from, they found the perfect place to fly.....there isn't a tree to speak of for miles!!! I couldn't slit my wrist because I forgot my knife, I would have shot myself but the guys with the shotgun took too long with gunnery practice on the outhouse and the cops got them, I would have jumped in front of a car, but the road was too far away, I thought about feeding myself to the ants, but it was so dusty that even the ants didn't walk out there....I had no way out! So, the only choice I had to drive the pilots hard into the tasks and hope they would run out of flights!

Hey, Aaron....I'm ex-military, but when you realize that they got a 12-gauge and we have....nothin', you start to abandon the heroism thing and call in the badges. It was a cool demo of a felony arrest, live and in action! It was one shotgun and a crossbow versus 5 deputies with 9-mm, shotgun and more. Game over!!!
mlee8249 is offline Find More Posts by mlee8249
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:01 PM
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Sep 2005
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfski View Post
Nice going DZ and Dave
DZ wE also have a NCSS F3F trophy for you back home.
Mart
Mart I though you recycled it with Tim's trophy too!

DZ
darrellzaballos is offline Find More Posts by darrellzaballos
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:02 PM
Joined Sep 2005
84 Posts
Thanks DP
DZ
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:21 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee8249 View Post
Go TEAM USA!

Mike Lee

(okay, that failed to work! RC Groups files don't support Excel file uploads!)

(If anyone has an idea of how to upload Excel fiels, I'd be much obliged)
Most files that cant be uploaded to RCG can be after they get "zipped" with WinZip....
I won't guaranty anything, but, I think it will work. I would like to see raw data as well.

See, 19 billion posts on RCG can sometimes yield some kind of results.

Congrats to all the contestants, and to the 2013 team.

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:27 PM
MCS / NCSS / SVSS / LSC / SAM
United States, CA, Santa Rosa
Joined Jun 2010
1,743 Posts
I didn't get a chance for much photography being out at the turnarounds but when I shagged Darrell's line on our Team's very last launch I was able to be at "A" when the last Speed Run took place and grabbed my iPhone out for it.

TURN UP THE SOUND! Watch in HD and full screen mode.

F3B Team Selects - 2012 - Last Speed Run of the TS (1 min 14 sec)
David Olson is offline Find More Posts by David Olson
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:33 PM
Joined Jun 2010
1,743 Posts
The Wild West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwemmer View Post
Although there was plenty of action on Sunday during the contest. there was even more action afterwards. It seems 2 of the more intelligent locals decide to use the outhouse as a target. This was the out house that is located at the powered field next to where we were working. As the teams were closing down for the night we heard a shot. We looked in the direction and saw the 2 locals using the outhouse as a target. Dave Klein called the police and gave the phone to me. As I was describing the incident to the dispatcher the locals continued firing. The dispatcher said the police were on their way. After 12 shots, we looked down the road and saw 2 police units drive by. Tom Watson got in his car and flagged down the Deputies. The Deputies followed Tom back to the field. we were then treated to an encore performance of a Felony stop in progress. It was great to watch as the punks were told to put their hands over their heads. When they complied they had a hard time keeping their pants up. So much for baggy pants being in fashion.

Film at 11:00
Here is the film Sherpa.

All guns drawn, "You in the black, drop the gun, hands on your head, kneel down" then hand cuffed and they thought they would be home for dinner.

Free entertainment after a great day of flying.

The Wild West (0 min 44 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:49 PM
Throw it like you hate it
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Apr 2007
3,079 Posts
congrats to all that participated and the new team! i am really sorry that i couldnt make it. i really wanted to, however life often has different plans. i am really sorry that i flaked on my team, so Murphy, thanks for stepping in my stead. i am really excited about the team we have. great flying by all! looks like you guys had a blast!
cheers
paul
RCPC is offline Find More Posts by RCPC
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:01 AM
USA, CA, Vista
Joined Jun 2003
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPC View Post
congrats to all that participated and the new team! i am really sorry that i couldnt make it. i really wanted to, however life often has different plans. i am really sorry that i flaked on my team, so Murphy, thanks for stepping in my stead. i am really excited about the team we have. great flying by all! looks like you guys had a blast!
cheers
paul
So happy Mike was able to come out.. Paul and I owe him!

Hurry up and come out and play with us..
Look forward to flying with you..
Best Regards
Dyno Don
Dyno Don is offline Find More Posts by Dyno Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:39 AM
Joined Jun 2010
1,743 Posts
F3B Team Select 2012 Pilots

The last morning before we started we took a group shot.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 31, 2012, 01:22 AM
Joined Jun 2010
1,743 Posts
Team Fosa / Team MKS / Team Pike Precision / Team Shooter

Team Fosa: Thomas Cooke, Tom Kiesling and Darrell Zaballos.

Team Soaring USA: Tim Trevor, Thomas Cooke, Tom Kiesling, Darrell Zaballos and Mike Smith.

Team Pike Precision. Tim Traver and Mike Smith.

Team Shooter. Reto Fiolka, Don Scegiel and Mike Lachowski.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by David Olson; Oct 31, 2012 at 11:36 AM.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 06:08 AM
F3B and F3K
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2009
1,606 Posts
Hi Guys
Made it home last night... By rental car.

Thanks to all the helpers, Mike Lee, Glauco and Warren for a ride and my team mates.

Reto
RetoF3X is offline Find More Posts by RetoF3X
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:54 AM
Joined Sep 2005
84 Posts
Tom Watson send me a pm please.

DZ
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:33 AM
San Diego
Joined Jan 2008
457 Posts
I can finally move!

I guess I need to get back on the horse and get a little more exercise. Thought I was going to die the first day but by the grace of God and a pocket full of motrin the second and third day I was able to shag lines relatively pain free.

Thanks to everyone for letting me attempt to fly with the big dogs. I was very happy with my speed runs, even the one where I got discombobulated and redefined the course

Distance was as usual the most fun and the thermal flying was a complete beech in totally light air.

The big thanks goes to the helpers that made it possible....that is where I usually doing my thing and now with the pilots perspective I can really see that this would be impossible without them.

Especial thanks to Mike Lee who put up with all the pilots sheet with good humor and calm competence. Totally cool competition.

And finally the biggest thanks of all to Kyle who twisted my arm and got me out there in the first place. It's been a long time since I flew a glider at all, much less F3B style flying. I'm revved back up and anxious to fly some more now....well as soon as I get my other Target back from Alvaro (hint hint dude) and get the one I broke fixed back up....luckily not too difficult of a fix I think.

Those Precisions were looking mighty fine out there.....I'll have to see how many pennies I have left over after christmas and maybe a pair of them will suddenly appear in my quiver.....orange of course so they blend in with the rest of the planes

It was fun flying with Don and Paul, I learned a lot about reading air from you which I'm sure will improve my other glider flying.

thanks again to all

Mike Murphy
Smurfmacaw is offline Find More Posts by Smurfmacaw
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:09 AM
Eggcellent...
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Oct 2006
2,448 Posts
But Murph...Sunday night at dinner you were on the horse. We all saw it and someone has the pics to prove it.

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfmacaw View Post
I guess I need to get back on the horse
tewatson is offline Find More Posts by tewatson