HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 29, 2012, 02:52 PM
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Aug 2011
294 Posts
Discussion
Castle ICE 100amp ESC

what burst can I get from the Castle ICE 100amp ESC and for how many seconds ?
do you think it can stand 160amp burst for 7 seconds ?
kayvannouri is offline Find More Posts by kayvannouri
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2012, 04:34 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,377 Posts
Ask Castle Creations, they're in the Vendor forum -

http://www.rcgroups.com/castle-creations-168/
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jul 30, 2012, 07:39 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,994 Posts
Do you already have the ICE ESC?

If so, you could work up towards the 160A peak slowly in smaller increments and for shorter periods of duration and see what the data logger reports for the ESC's internal temperatures.

I'd like to see more info in the posts here as to how the ICE data logger can be used and how useful the feature is compared to things like the eLogger I am using now.

Look at the attached plot from a static test with a eLogger, the temperature is the cyan or light blue trace across the center, the Watts are the top trace and the RPM in green.

I was looking at the LCD panel as that happened and you can see how I reduced throttle at my personal limit of 130F and it only took a few clicks of throttle to get the temperature dropping immediately.

The temp was slowly rising as time proceeded (in seconds on the bottom bar). When I went from 3/4 to full throttle the temp climbed to 130F and I reduced to half throttle. Withing a few seconds the temp was falling again and I had learned from it.

When I looked at the data later I could see that 20 seconds of 3/4 throttle will produce a steady temp climb that might eventually get over my 130F limit. And going to full throttle for about 18 seconds had it climbing quickly. But I could also see that reducing to half throttle or a little more would give me quick relief and cool things back down.

Being able to launch info flight knowing that kind of stuff is very reassuring. I knew that most of the flight with that motor and prop would be at 1/2 throttle with occasional use of 2/3rds or 3/4 throttle. And I knew that I could go to full throttle for 10-15 seconds without threatening anything.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Jul 30, 2012, 03:32 PM
We want... Information!
Hastings, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2001
5,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayvannouri View Post
do you think it can stand 160amp burst for 7 seconds ?
Yes. Its burst rating is 160A for 10 seconds.

Note that the burst rating is for a 1% duty cycle (10 seconds on, 6.5 minutes off). This should be fine for a thermal glider, but not for a model which will be drawing regular power bursts and/or cruising at part throttle.
Bruce Abbott is offline Find More Posts by Bruce Abbott