HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:05 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
8,043 Posts
thats why i made my own ducting and moved the fan back. i am putting the batts between the intakes. i hate saddle packs and hate having to wire up 3 batteries for a flight. i can easily fit and balance 6500s if i want between the intakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cquian View Post
Would love to see your battery placements. I have one with the e-Turbax fan in the stock location, could only get 3s 5300s to fit along side the thrust tube and then one 3s where the old hopper tank went (for a total of 9s).

How are you getting 12s on board?
Tumbler is online now Find More Posts by Tumbler
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:20 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbler View Post
thats why i made my own ducting and moved the fan back. i am putting the batts between the intakes. i hate saddle packs and hate having to wire up 3 batteries for a flight. i can easily fit and balance 6500s if i want between the intakes
That is a slick set of ducts Brian! Really nice work as usual.

Carlos, that`s what you need for yours. Maybe you can tale Brian out of a set.
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:27 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
8,043 Posts
thanks man! one mistake i made was not trimming the stock ducts more. the guy who cut them out left about 2 inches of the stock duct and i mated my ducts to that. one problem was they aren't exactly the same so one of my ducts is noticeably longer than the other. other issue is because the stock ducts are shorter they cut in towards the middle quickly whereas mine have a slow gradual taper. so bottom line, i should have cut the stock ducting all the way to the inlet lip. it makes my ducting molds kind of obsolete for anyone else which sucks. would have been glad to make someone a set. as you can see I made an adapter rather than have the ducting go right to the fan....now I can swap fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife Liddle View Post
That is a slick set of ducts Brian! Really nice work as usual.

Carlos, that`s what you need for yours. Maybe you can tale Brian out of a set.
Tumbler is online now Find More Posts by Tumbler
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:54 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,201 Posts
Just a heads up for a diff parts source for the rotor/spinner. JHH has raised the price of the rotor to $50 and their new alu spinner is $40.

The RC Lander rotor is basically the same (may be a knock-off) but I`ll bet the same people make both.

Here`s a source for the rotor $40 and the spinner $15 and I like the RCL style spinner better anyway.

The "120mm Metal" parts are what you need.

http://parkrcmodels.com/index.php?cPath=97
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:21 PM
Sweden, Gävleborg County
Joined Jan 2004
851 Posts
Aha, looks a lot like the one on HK for $26, but erh7771 states that its 114mm dia.

Replacement Rotor for 120mm Alloy DPS EDF Unit

No spinner on HK site...
MagnusEl is offline Find More Posts by MagnusEl
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:53 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusEl View Post
Aha, looks a lot like the one on HK for $26, but erh7771 states that its 114mm dia.

Replacement Rotor for 120mm Alloy DPS EDF Unit

No spinner on HK site...
Yes, I have one of those from HK. I thought it was 120mm as advertised but I just checked it and as erh7771 says. It`s closer to 114mm. It fit`s well in the 115mm Haoye shroud.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:17 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,720 Posts
I did some test of the 120mm 5 blade rotor from SDS hobbies in the CS 12 blade 120mm shroud a while back, very close to the 114 numbers. I'll test again since I have everything still setup but I was expecting to see better numbers out of that setup since it was a bigger fan.

The SDS hobbies 120mm in the 5 blade cs 120mm shroud the t\w numbers were unremarkable...not a good match there.

Seems like Haoye is doing something write with it's twist of the shrouds stators (what are fins in the shroud technically called?) looks like Knife hit the ball out of the park with this match up.

I will be doing the lander 114mm rotor in the hoaye shroud test soon, in some planes I have to HEAR the fan...I was able to get the 120mm running butter smooth and the sound was pretty good
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:20 PM
Why kamikaze pilot wear helmet
United States, OH, Columbus
Joined Jul 2010
1,093 Posts
anyone build a Bell Mouth for this fan?

Im going to be putting one of these in a older 5in nitro jet that has a cheater hole on the bottom and not the worlds best ducting.

Any pics or how to would be great!

Thanks mike
mikes68charger is offline Find More Posts by mikes68charger
Old Apr 14, 2013, 08:39 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,201 Posts
Hey Mike your inbox is full

Here`s my PM.....

I`ll get it shipped tomorrow. I`ve included an intake ring "kit" I couldn`t build it complete or it wouldn`t fit in the box. You`ll be able to finish the intake ring in short order, depending on how you want to finish it out. Just foam sanded smooth will work, but if you coat it with epoxy or water based PU it will be a little smoother and stay cleaner.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 14, 2013, 11:18 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbler View Post
yep! that was with a 3.5" exit and only 30c batts. going to get 6000mah 25c turnigy nanos after i fly on 5300s
I bet you would have even more power with 65/130c Nano packs
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Apr 20, 2013, 02:32 PM
Joined Jul 2010
1,093 Posts
Pic
Old Apr 20, 2013, 02:35 PM
Joined Jul 2010
1,093 Posts
What you guys think of my shap? Dose it need to be fiberglassed?
Old Apr 20, 2013, 02:41 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,201 Posts
Looks great to me. Looks very smooth too. There`s really no need to glass it. The most that I`d do would be to give it a coat of epoxy, but that would be just to keep it clean. Even medium foam safe CA would work.

What jet is that?
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 20, 2013, 03:42 PM
Joined Jul 2010
1,093 Posts
It's a Delta Dart 106 that's all I know. Been some guessing on wo makes it but not sure it's real close to jetcentrys but no rear air brakes.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 03:43 PM
Joined Jul 2010
1,093 Posts
Not bad for $50 with good retracts