HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 19, 2012, 02:08 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Stone View Post
Nigel,

Yikes! You have the same challenge I do with your fleet.

I have to agree that overall the DLG is the most interesting. The challenge of flying a plane with no power that you hand-launch from the ground plus the Interaction with natural winds and thermals to gain altitude and stay aloft is the most fascinating of activities.

It's too bad that you do not have a nearby club. I now belong to two formal clubs, each with its own nice facility. One is near my office, the other near my home. I also have a group of friends that I fly with on a regular basis. Lastly, the local DLG community is well-organized and has regular events. It is the social interaction with others that keeps flying from getting stale or boring for me.

BTW, I am going to pick up my repaired Lightspeed III DLG and a new Lighthawk IV (both included in my previous count) the weekend after this one. I have to drive to New Mexico to meet with the builder, Aradhana Singh. Aradhana is a Sikh who applies the same devotion to designing and building planes that he does to his faith. Wonderful guy.

Seems to me, Nigel, that your biggest project for the winter months is to just get yourself organized. I am partway there. I have to say I really enjoy showing house guests my plane collection mounted in racks in the basement. It is truly impressive, kind of like going to a museum, except that all my planes are flyable, or at least intended to be flown.

All the best,

Jackson
Good to hear your dlgs are on the way!
There are no clubs near enough for me here I'm afraid, and Mark has sold up now so I'm on my own again lol.
My dog loves the dlg though and he now comes and chases it round but does not (fingers crossed) try to catch it.
I was in a club back in Milton Keynes and it was a lot more interesting for sure, I will keep looking for some mates lol, in the meantime at least I have these forums to share the fun with!
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2012, 03:41 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,385 Posts
http://www.flyingsites.co.uk/clubs/counties/nyork.htm
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2012, 02:51 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,213 Posts
Thanks starhopper, did look at this a while ago but will have another look into it now!
Main problem for me is the fact I share a car with the missus and she takes it to work and that's when I tend to go flying, though one of the sites is near where she works so something could be worked out there!
The hills are a bit further away but that would be be another good option for me to go do some proper slope flying!
Old Oct 20, 2012, 03:32 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,385 Posts
Be sure'n first check out their maps, with the warning about those not involved one might encounter. The moors apparently aren't a very friendly place to be whilst alone.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:32 PM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,213 Posts
Yeah will do, better safe then sorry, better with a m8 when in open places like that any way especially when standing around for hours.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:20 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelsheffield View Post
Good to hear your dlgs are on the way!
There are no clubs near enough for me here I'm afraid, and Mark has sold up now so I'm on my own again lol.
My dog loves the dlg though and he now comes and chases it round but does not (fingers crossed) try to catch it.
I was in a club back in Milton Keynes and it was a lot more interesting for sure, I will keep looking for some mates lol, in the meantime at least I have these forums to share the fun with!
Nigel,

Just back from a trip to Southern California to visit my mother, sister and son, Rob.

Curious to see how you work out the issue of where to fly and who to fly with.

That was nice of Starhopper to send you links to local clubs.

Cheers,

Jackson
Jackson Stone is offline Find More Posts by Jackson Stone
Old Oct 22, 2012, 07:10 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Stone View Post
Nigel,

Just back from a trip to Southern California to visit my mother, sister and son, Rob.

Curious to see how you work out the issue of where to fly and who to fly with.

That was nice of Starhopper to send you links to local clubs.

Cheers,

Jackson
*blush* Google is yer friend. *heh heh*
Anytime you're traveling (eg) & want info on local places just hit da Goog with the city's name & the string "RC flying clubs". Sometimes you'll catch a localized org that lists 'em by district, as Nigel's did.
And, Thanks for your compliment Jax. You're good people - I can tell.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:02 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
Starhopper,

Gee thanks. Part of the reason for being on RC Groups is to make connections with like-minded people, i.e. people that are crazy about RC but otherwise normal.

Cheers,

Jackson
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:07 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,213 Posts
Crazy and normal are relative terms lol.
I think I'm more normal when I'm flying and go a bit crazy when I can't!
Other people think I'm crazy when I'm flying for hours!
Thanks guys for keeping me sane when the winds and rain stop play!
Talking of which it looks fairly calm out, might go down with the moa!
Old Oct 27, 2012, 06:34 AM
Perth WA
Joined Jul 2009
15 Posts
Minimoa
amteff is offline Find More Posts by amteff
Last edited by amteff; Oct 27, 2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 06:39 AM
Perth WA
Joined Jul 2009
15 Posts
Flaps and winds

Hello You Minimoa Afficionados
I've had Minimoa for a year or 2 now and have a few questions for you:
Have you used the ailerons as flaps?
Was the programming complexity and loss of ailerons worth it? i.e. did it slow the plane down much?
What sort of wind strength do you fly in? Up to 10 knots?
Oct and Nov are dread months for flying here in Western Oz - too windy.
But tomorrows another day........
Happy flying to all.
amteff is offline Find More Posts by amteff
Old Oct 28, 2012, 05:48 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,213 Posts
Jackson put flaperons on his and reported good results, said thermal was better and I think landings were easier too but I think he programmed up for landings to reduce lift to shorted landings.
Programming flaperons is easy and as long as you dont use too much your ailerons will still work, differential can also be used to help out.
I will probably put in some real flaps at some point when I get bored. I think the real one had air brakes!
Wind speed is not something I measure but direction is more important to me as if it's coming anywhere but up the little hill turbulance and sink is a big problem and makes flying pretty poor. If it coming up the hill though I have flown happily is winds the make the plane fly standing still and even backwards needing lots of down elev and throttle to get it back!
Cant beat a nice still day though!
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:59 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
Minimoa in Wind

Yes, the Minimoa does quite well in wind and I have proof!

Just check out this video I made earlier this year.

Cheers,

Jackson

Minimoa at Pradera Ridge - May 12, 2012 (4 min 55 sec)
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:48 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,213 Posts
If the winds are coming up hill I can fly the moa no problem too, but that does not happen often enough for me lol.
I fitted a bigger esc and bigger prop in my 900mm spitfire today and took it out in the turbulent winds, it cuts through great and goes vertical forever now. It was the 1st time out with spitty for a long time and I had flown 4 batteries when a M8 turned up with 2 spitfires of his own so we had dogflight until the rain stopped play and we had to pack up quickly.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:23 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
Nigel,

Sounds like you had a really fun time with the Spitty. I was out yesterday afternoon with my ASW-28 and Yak-54. Flew for several hours in pleasant temperatures and lights winds. Not much lift for the sailplane but lots of zero-sink. On my first flight of the ASW-28 I had 30 minutes of flight time and only five of motor time. The Yak is back in action after a hiatus while I waited for a replacement motor. I fly the Yak on 4 amp 4S batteries for 5:30 minutes. That will give you an idea of the power of this thing. Flies great and is capable with any aerobatic maneuver I can throw at it.

Cheers,

Jackson