HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 19, 2010, 11:31 AM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,853 Posts
Rant
Is this how self-absorbed we have become...?

Figured this would be best here, since it's about life, technically...

Had a great day flying at the field yesterday. Flew my T-28 which is always a blast, and also flew my Mossie with new batteries. What a difference some fresh packs make! The highlight was flying my newly-repaired Blade 400 with a scale fuse on it. Flew it a few times and everything checked out OK. Was looking foward to getting home, eating some leftovers, celebrating a good day with a few adult beverages, and just hanging out with the wife. I stopped for gas at the way home and that's when the act of a selfish individual almost ruined my day.

I stopped at the Sheetz for gas.... one was recently built just a mile from my house and they have the lowset prices on gas in town. I don't know if Sheetz is a national chain but for those that live in the Southeastern US, Sheetz is a one-stop place... food, gas, you name it. You can even order sandwiches from the pump while you are getting gas, pay for it, and it will be ready by the time you go inside. Don't know why anyone would want to do that but it's a neat gimmick. It's a clean store and their prices are very reasonable. I'm not sure if every Sheetz is this way, but every one I've seen in NC (Rocky Mount, Wilson, Burlington) is ALWAYS busy.... even at odd hours of the day and night. So when I pulled in yesterday around 6:30 PM, that was no exception.... every pump was full.

So I went to the end pump and parked behind some young man standing outside his car. His car was parked at the pump and I was behind him. In front of him was a young girl, sitting in her car, and her car was perpendicular to his. So imagine that our cars made a "T" and her car was the top of the T. He was in front of his car, talking with the young girl. When I pulled in behind him, he turned around to look at me, and turned back around to the girl and continued his conversation. I didn't think it was a big deal, as he could have been finishing up his conversation.

Two minutes go by, and he's still talking. Now I'm starting to get irritated cause he knows I'm there. He turns around AGAIN, looks at me AGAIN, and turns back around and continues his conversation AGAIN. Now I'm pissed. He's just chatting away like he hasn't a care in the world. He starts making gestures with his hands that read, "Let me go pay for gas because there's someone behind me," but he STILL talks to the young woman and makes no effort to move. By this time it's been about 5 minutes. Please understand I'm not some impatient jerk; if he was pumping gas I would have just sat there. He was done pumping gas and was blocking a pump cause he was socializing. That's why I was mad.

Another pump opened up two stalls away. I angrily moved over to that pump and started filling up with gas. As my tank is about 1/2 full, he's finally on his way to pay for gas. He gave me a funny look when he walked by, I guess not understanding why I was angry and moved.

The point of my rant is this: have we become so self-absorbed in our own little worlds that we really don't give a damn about anything or anyone that is outside of it? I mean, he looked right at me and just kept chatting. If you want to keep talking, get out of the way of the pump so someone else can get gas!! What is wrong with people nowadays? Are you that self-absorbed that you don't realize your actions are inconveniencing someone else? Or do you realize what you are doing but you just don't care?

Rant over... just wanted to share. It didn't ruin my day but it sure frosted my butt.
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 19, 2010, 11:35 AM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
I think he was a bit distracted because he was chasing tail.

Life's too short. Let it go.
Highflight is offline Find More Posts by Highflight
Old Jul 19, 2010, 11:36 AM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,283 Posts
Flying a Mossie has to be a good remedy for that frost.
madsci_guy is offline Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Old Jul 19, 2010, 11:37 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Feb 2005
1,854 Posts
The farmers do that at intersections here in North Wales - 5 mins is about average

The ones that REALLY get me jumpin in petrol (gas...) stations tend to be wome (or men acting like old women...) - they fill up - go and pay for the goods - get in the car (at which point I start my engine in readiness to pull forward to the pump) THEN they rearrange the shopping on the passenger seat and footwell, fiddle about in their purse, open the glove box a couple of times to check or put stuff in that, get out of the car again and take off a coat - open the passenger door and drop that on the back seat - get back into the car, get out again and retrieve the keys from the coat just removed, get in the car again and check out hair and makeup in mirror, readjust mirror, fiddle with seat belt for what seems like an ice age THEN.....they start the car but do they move yet - oh no...............arrrrrrgh!
ENGINETORQUE is online now Find More Posts by ENGINETORQUE
Old Jul 19, 2010, 12:43 PM
Suspended Account
ni'ihau
Joined Nov 2003
3,241 Posts
Life will present you with this scenario in many ways. Sometimes the weather will make you wait. Sometimes a bank holiday will put you off for a whole day. Learning to deal with it is a life skill. Getting good at it will prolong your lifespan. Take the human face off it and enjoy the pause.
Eljimb0 is offline Find More Posts by Eljimb0
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 19, 2010, 12:49 PM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Then View Post
Another pump opened up two stalls away. I angrily moved over to that pump and started filling up with gas. As my tank is about 1/2 full, he's finally on his way to pay for gas. He gave me a funny look when he walked by, I guess not understanding why I was angry and moved.
Did your tyres squeak when you moved over to the other pump?

Quote:
The point of my rant is this: have we become so self-absorbed in our own little worlds that we really don't give a damn about anything or anyone that is outside of it? I mean, he looked right at me and just kept chatting. If you want to keep talking, get out of the way of the pump so someone else can get gas!! What is wrong with people nowadays? Are you that self-absorbed that you don't realize your actions are inconveniencing someone else? Or do you realize what you are doing but you just don't care?

Rant over... just wanted to share. It didn't ruin my day but it sure frosted my butt.
Yeah, lots of folks are more self-absorbed than ever, and their selfishness will sometimes inconvenience you, or maybe even annoy you, but after a great day at the field it'd have been better to just roll with it.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Jul 19, 2010, 01:24 PM
United States, NC, Surf City
Joined Oct 2003
389 Posts
My beef is with the folks that can't be bothered to park within the lines, or even park in a designated parking space in the first place, making it difficult for others to navigate the parking lot.

Not to mention that when cops visit my next-door neighbor (don't ask!), they park in MY driveway. One time I told them my girlfriend was on the way so could he please unblock my driveway, and he said, "I'll move it when I feel like it!" Fortunately, he left before she arrived...
Bob HSG is offline Find More Posts by Bob HSG
Old Jul 19, 2010, 01:27 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,853 Posts
Thanks for the replies. No, the tires didn't squeak as I don't believe in making a scene (I actually thought about that and was thankful my tires didn't bark when I moved). Even thought I needed to vent about it over here, it definitely didn't ruin my day. I guess I should have put that in the original post. Got home, unpacked, installed a new mailbox before it stormed, and relaxed the rest of the evening.

And I didn't want anyone to get the impression that I'm just impatient. I didn't mind the wait, I was irked at that fact that the dude knew I was waiting and just kept yakking (I think Highflight nailed it - pardon the pun).

I was over it shortly after I got home... just wanted to post here that I feel this is a sign of the times that many people are self-absorbed and they don't care who they inconvenience.
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 19, 2010, 01:40 PM
Joined Feb 2000
303 Posts
My theory is that a large majority of people are "dead wood", contribute nothing to society, and exist only to suck the life out of the rest of us.

I tell my sons that at least when they behave in a manner that makes it noticable (like your situation) you have the opportunity to avoid them.

Its the ones who are decent at covering it up that really ruin your day.
strouse is online now Find More Posts by strouse
Old Jul 19, 2010, 01:51 PM
Hi ya! Car ride!?
Portage La Prairie, Manitoba Canada
Joined Sep 2003
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob HSG View Post
...Not to mention that when cops visit my next-door neighbor (don't ask!), they park in MY driveway. One time I told them my girlfriend was on the way so could he please unblock my driveway, and he said, "I'll move it when I feel like it!" ...
I'd have a problem with that. He is a public servant. Your driveway is private property. So unless there's some kind of emergency he is trespassing therefore I would expect a bit more respect than "I'll move it when I feel like it."
Sport Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Sport Flyer
Old Jul 19, 2010, 02:06 PM
Joined Oct 2003
389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Flyer View Post
I'd have a problem with that. He is a public servant. Your driveway is private property. So unless there's some kind of emergency he is trespassing therefore I would expect a bit more respect than "I'll move it when I feel like it."
Yeah, well, I live in a small town and don't want to get a bad rep with the local cops...
Old Jul 19, 2010, 02:07 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,704 Posts
I usually just yell "What! Am I, invisible?!! Move your Jack !!!

Same for the one crossing the road and when they see you coming, deliberately slow down and take on the attitude

My wife will wait patiently...most of the time
bildo baggins is online now Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old Jul 19, 2010, 02:24 PM
No retreat no surrender
USA, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Apr 1999
659 Posts
Maybe it's something about gas stations....a few weeks ago I was in a hurry to get to work and was going to stop off at the local and get something to eat. I started to pull into a parking place at the same time as someone else. I stopped short and so did he. My window was down, and so was his-this 20 something cursed me out like I had never been cursed out in my life (and my dad was a truck driver) he went on and on, calling me names that would get me shot if I would have used them on him (racial and VILE names). After a minute of this I just leaned out of the truck window (F-150 4WD vs two door hoopty) and said-"Sorry man". He was still cursing me out as I drove away. I sure felt like giving his little car a "push" with the truck but decided it wasn't worth the pain.

Whatever his problem was, it wasn't me, I was just in the way at the wrong time. I really think all the twentysomethings really DO believe the world revolves around them.

On the other hand, a while back I asked my nephew to come over and help me move some furniture-he showed up with his girlfriend, and they both worked their butts off for an evening with only supper to show for it. They are good kids going off to college this year-I wish there were more like them.

Jim
newguy is offline Find More Posts by newguy
Old Jul 19, 2010, 02:28 PM
Joined Oct 2003
389 Posts
When I get to the parking space first, or have to cut in front of someone in traffic, I always smile and wave and mouth "Thank you." 90% of the time that mollifies them...
Old Jul 19, 2010, 02:32 PM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy View Post
On the other hand, a while back I asked my nephew to come over and help me move some furniture-he showed up with his girlfriend, and they both worked their butts off for an evening with only supper to show for it. They are good kids going off to college this year-I wish there were more like them.

Jim
Jim - there are more like them. Lots more
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer