SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 25, 2015, 11:02 PM
Find More Posts by senntinel45
United Kingdom, Northern Ireland, Ballymoney
Joined Oct 2013
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tharr62 View Post
It must have been sales related. Perhaps most people just wanting something powered. Like the radian UMX? If it sold well, then I would assume it would still be active?
Good point also Tharr62, as you say sales may not have been good. Personally I love it now, however it was a pig to setup initially due to wrong balance setup. I did actually go and check my original delivery box and sure enough that error correction note about the CG was in fact in there so I stand corrected on that point. I have a bad habit in life of not reading the destructions

I guess that shows how easy it is to overlook something like that . I probably even read it at the time and then forgot about it as it was a while between my purchase and first flight. My box was relegated to the attic. She porpoised terribly and I had bent the elevator push rod to give down trim to try and counteract this, not a great setup at all. Wasn't until I added the slightly bigger 260mah battery and reset the trim that she just became a different model to fly.

I guess my point being that the error on CG could have contributed to some peoples bad experiences and hence poor reviews? I do remember seeing some videos of people flying with the porpoise effect.

I have the little Radian also and really bought it on the back of my experience of having both the K21 and the little spitfire. I am a sucker for scale mind you, something the little radian doesn't have. Some stills of the K21 look so real in flight.
senntinel45 is online now Find More Posts by senntinel45
Last edited by senntinel45; Aug 25, 2015 at 11:22 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2015, 04:55 PM
Joined Oct 2013
343 Posts
Here we go again
Old Aug 27, 2015, 06:20 PM
Find More Posts by studioRS
Klassische Segelflugzeuge
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,450 Posts
"Like" button! Personally, I think the UMX ASK-21 box is one of the nicest looking graphics and well designed, just like a little jewel case. Congratulations Ian!
studioRS is offline Find More Posts by studioRS
Old Aug 27, 2015, 11:17 PM
Find More Posts by NEWBEFLYER
Crazy Canuck
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Apr 2007
2,607 Posts
Ha I still have mine in the box and never flown it yet. I looked in it today for the first time since I bought it when it was on sale along time ago. The corrections of the CG leaflet was in it. I might one day fly it as a slope flyer not really into the tow up with the CC ( the first one I got had the flap servo stuck and I sent it back and the second one works just fine) I haven't tried the hi start system .So when I do get around to flying it I will slope fly as I see a lot of ASK 21 guys are enjoying.
NEWBEFLYER is offline Find More Posts by NEWBEFLYER
Old Aug 28, 2015, 11:46 AM
Joined Oct 2013
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioRS View Post
"Like" button! Personally, I think the UMX ASK-21 box is one of the nicest looking graphics and well designed, just like a little jewel case. Congratulations Ian!
Thanks Thompson glad I got her, had to pay an extra £10.00 postage on the downside. Noticed on this one that the fin is quite badly out of line. Not quite sure how to go about fixing? May remove the rear turtle deck and refix with glue whilst holding fin vertical.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 12:06 PM
Joined Oct 2013
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWBEFLYER View Post
Ha I still have mine in the box and never flown it yet. I looked in it today for the first time since I bought it when it was on sale along time ago. The corrections of the CG leaflet was in it. I might one day fly it as a slope flyer not really into the tow up with the CC ( the first one I got had the flap servo stuck and I sent it back and the second one works just fine) I haven't tried the hi start system .So when I do get around to flying it I will slope fly as I see a lot of ASK 21 guys are enjoying.
You get that little sailplane in the air newbeflyer . She's a lovely little bird on the smallest of slopes and 5mph is just perfect IMHO.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 12:40 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,450 Posts
Straighten that ASK-21 up like a draughtsman all square on the tail, she'll soar perfectly. Mine too was a little wonky and I worked some proper body english to her lines—viola!
Cheers, Thompson
Old Aug 28, 2015, 01:07 PM
Joined Oct 2013
343 Posts
Quote:
Straighten that ASK-21 up like a draughtsman all square on the tail, she'll soar perfectly. Mine too was a little wonky and I worked some proper body english to her lines—viola!
Cheers, Thompson
Can u expand a little Thompson? Did you just over twist or did you reset the the rear turtle deck. I was over twisting this morning but she is springing back?
Old Aug 28, 2015, 02:47 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,450 Posts
I only needed to over twist a little. I'd imagine that removing the tape on the turtle deck, straightening, then re-taping would solve it with out over twisting.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 05:16 PM
Joined Oct 2013
343 Posts
Quote:
I only needed to over twist a little. I'd imagine that removing the tape on the turtle deck, straightening, then re-taping would solve it with out over twisting.
Unfortunately the rear turtle deck appears to be glued and taped . A bit of surgery required me thinks.

I guess in the speed of mass production eflite haven't really paid much attention to how they secure the model when gluing in the carbon fibre spine and rear turtle deck in place to give true fin alignment, who knows. In instances like this it would be nice to be able to say do that final gluing ones self ie a semi kit with a small tube of the appropriate adhesive.
Last edited by senntinel45; Yesterday at 01:37 AM.
Old Yesterday, 01:57 PM
Joined Oct 2013
343 Posts
A little bit of balsa epoxied in whilst holding the twist does the trick. Too difficult to remove the fin and reset that way as fin glued between the plastic holder and well stuck to the rear fuselage.
Last edited by senntinel45; Yesterday at 02:09 PM.
Old Yesterday, 02:01 PM
Joined Oct 2013
343 Posts
Et voila. So I know I will have to add a little ballast due to the anti twist spar added to the rear but wont make much difference. Worth it for nice square fin and tail.