New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 28, 2015, 02:11 PM
Find More Posts by kentuckytukker
Joined Aug 2015
2 Posts
Hello,

Must be around some 14 years ago that I decided to order the Tamiya Withbread set after seeing 2 of these yachts at a Dutch mini-sail event. I started building the boat but do to lack of time it was put aside for some 13 years. I already had build the Graupner Comtesse, but because I did not like Graupners colour scheme suggested, I decided to paint the whole hull in white with some blue striping. From as sailingpoint of view the Comtesse is, nice to say, pretty slow compaired to the withbread. But thats the price you pay for that kind of design. I've been following this thread for more than 2 years and plan to pick up the assembling. Before that I will make a lot of improvements as shown through this entire thread. Most of these I still can implement at the current stage. The only thing I do not want to do is take apart the two keel halfes. These are well glued together and I do not want to destroy these parts. Has anyone a suggestion how I still can reinforce this? Perhaps by drilling some small holes in the top part and fill it up with resin? I also got both the original yamaha sailing crew and the Tamiya car changing crew. Plan to use some of these crew members to mix up when the boat is finished. I noticed a suggestion of having these 3D printed for boat owners of not having these parts. Willing to investigate the costs if anyone is interested.
kentuckytukker is offline Find More Posts by kentuckytukker
Last edited by kentuckytukker; Aug 28, 2015 at 03:52 PM. Reason: typing error
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2015, 04:49 PM
Find More Posts by Boomer1
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,955 Posts
kentuckytukker,
Great news on your finishing the build of your Yamaha! Separating the two halves on the Yamaha's keel after they have been bonded together presents a formidable challenge.

Do you remember what you used to bond the two pieced together? I ask as some adhesives are easier to deal with than others. As an example "CA" doesn't bond to ABS as well as some other bonding agents and if you used it you may not have as big an issue.

I have been able to separate without incurring damages to 2 Yamaha keels. The process is fairly simple but requires patients and restraint.

Obviously you need to remove the keel from the boat, in your case it is not installed yet so that is easy. Next you need to see if you can remove the 6 screws that hold the keel together. See the attached drawing from the owner's manual.

I found a thin piece of Stainless Steel flat stock .03 or .7 mm (thick)about an inch wide and 6" long. (see photo below) It is strong but flexible enough to use to open the seams along the leading edges of the keel.

I used a hair dryer to warm up the keel to soften the adhesive inside the keel pieces. I was able to get the seam to open just enough to permit me to work the SS flat stock into it, not much at first but with steady gentle pressure and wiggling it up and down, I was able to eventually work it into the center. I kept the hair dryer going as I was working the SS into the keel. Finally they came apart. This worked both times I tried this.

Not sure how successful drilling holes in the keel to use to fill some resin inside the keel. Would take a lot of holes and that would tend to weaken it.

There are pictures in the thread showing how Crash stiffened his keel. I used the same flat stock I used to pry open the keel to stiffen the keels on the two boats I worked on. I didn't want the keel to be totally rigid and felt putting them on each side would provided the added stiffness as well as leaving some flexibility. Worked out great.

As far as ways to stiffen the keel externally, I can think of a number of ways to bond a rod or piece of flat stock to each side of the keel. What ever you used would likely require some body work be done to insure a smooth surface. I suppose you could route a slot on each side of the keel to permit a rod to be inserted the length of the keel and then filled in and painted. Think that could work if you had a small router and the right bit.
Good luck
Boomer

Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Aug 28, 2015 at 05:31 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 07:48 AM
Find More Posts by kentuckytukker
Joined Aug 2015
2 Posts
performing mod's

Hi Boomer,

Thanks for your quick reply. I've used CA as per Tamiya instructions for assembling the keel. I had to remove the paint from all parts which I did the white paint job on may years ago. Although all parts where stored in the original box, it turned out that Humbrol and Revell white glossy paint became yellow. Like the walls do at somebodies home when he is smoking. I've removed these with Revell Spray-Gun cleaner part 39011, using a damp cloth and some nr.500 sand paper for the big parts like the keel. On the small parts I only used the cloth. Lucky for me Yamaha has supplied the kit with some more parts than actually required. This to reduce their amount casting tools. I just got a phone call form my mother in law that she has finished a new pair of sails in amber. I believe this will give the final result a little bit more body than sailing with white sails. I noticed that the original full size versions has used both yellow and white sets, although on the Tamiya box only amber sails are displayed. Wondering why Tamiya supplied the kit with white ones. I'm also still wondering why they stopped producing this kit. Looking at the website they do not offer a program as for about 15-20 years anymore. I also took some snaps from my Graupner Comtesse. Unfortunately without the owner(crew) as they are now busy with the Withbread. One of the guys is just pulling a new rope. I've contructed a plywood box for my Comtesse for storage and transport. There is a separate integrated compartment in that box to store the transmitter and battery charger. The steel mast wires are adjusted by a part which I bought at a local bicycle shop. This kind of part is normally used the adjust the cable for the gear shifting. Price about Euro 1,50!!! If the sails do like as I expected I will apply to replace the original Graupners also. With the tyre changing crew comes a very interesting painting procedure to add a little bit more expression to the figures. (still have to do this on the riginal Yamaha crew)

Boomer what is the reason you attached the pic's of the Dremel tool? I do own 2 Dremels but not the shaper router.

If somebody is wondering how I applied the anti-slip coating on the deck of the Comtesee. Well here is the answer. First I made templates for each part as indicated in the original manual. I found out the the hull is not 100% symetric. By making paper templates( use 120gr.sqm type of more) for each part this allows you to change these to match the required location. First duplicate one section by mirror this and see how they fit. The actual blue material is selfadhesive plastic whihc is used for interrior protection/decoration of i.e. kitchen drawers etc. It last very long. As mentioned in another thread, use a little soapy water mixture and slide the parts over the deck. Professional car decorators use the same method. Piece of cake(soap sorry)
kentuckytukker is offline Find More Posts by kentuckytukker
Last edited by kentuckytukker; Aug 29, 2015 at 04:11 PM. Reason: some more info