Now that's my kind of ridge, drive and park.. cool
Jantar2A is offline Find More Posts by Jantar2A
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2016, 07:38 AM
Find More Posts by chris country
Salida, CO.
Joined Oct 2004
1,111 Posts
-7 this morning with light winds again...Skyline Drive in short sleeves is a distant memory now.
chris country is offline Find More Posts by chris country
Old Feb 04, 2016, 10:37 AM
Find More Posts by Mountain Soarer
formerly Juddkleinman
Paonia, CO
Joined Oct 2008
572 Posts
Chris, is there a lot of show on the ground there? I want to make a Bike/Fly trip over your way once we start to thaw out. Some how I don't think our trails will be dry in march like they were last year.
Mountain Soarer is online now Find More Posts by Mountain Soarer
Old Feb 04, 2016, 10:56 AM
Find More Posts by Dragon 2
Fly Fly Fly Crash
United States, CO, Montrose
Joined Aug 2005
3,454 Posts
New Super scooter is done. Go Broncos
Dragon 2 is online now Find More Posts by Dragon 2
Old Feb 04, 2016, 12:01 PM
Find More Posts by Slope P
Santa Fe NM
Joined Jul 2009
1,384 Posts
Looks sweet Rich!

LP
Slope P is offline Find More Posts by Slope P
Old Feb 04, 2016, 02:48 PM
Salida, CO.
Joined Oct 2004
1,111 Posts
Rich, the Scooter looks good, I'm kind of wanting one of those right now. Been having fun flying Josh's Slope Monkey. And what the hell is that bloated beast on the wall? Whatta hawg!

Judd, we got 6-8 inches in town out of this last storm. As cold as its been, it'll be a while before much thawing goes down. I bet riding in Salida in March will be iffy this year too. I'll keep you in the loop.

I've been working on the second Skymax airframe that Nick Stong hooked me up with when we made a trade last year. The wings where in need of a little work but he included a 2nd new fuse and extra stabs. I'm putting some Volz wing max servos in it that I've been sitting on for a while and it'll be a nice beater that I can fly without sweating bullets.
Old Feb 07, 2016, 11:08 PM
Salida, CO.
Joined Oct 2004
1,111 Posts
Been having a run of bad luck over here. I believe I flew the battery out of the nice 3.2m Skymax ship that I got from Nick Stong last year. Thought I had enough of a charge in it and checked the pack with my "low tech" Hobbico LED voltage checker before flying. It showed max charge so off I went. Was having a great time for 30 minutes and when flying back towards me on a pass lost all control. It went in with a terrible whack and I've never had a plane bury its' nose so far into the ground. Everything in it is a loss except for 5 servos. When I got home I used my multimeter on the pack and it showed 5.4 volts. That is less than 1.1 volts per cell and maybe lower with the load when flying...it was enough to lose RX control. From now on, I'm checking my packs with a multimeter prior to flying, what a dumbass.
Old Feb 07, 2016, 11:52 PM
Find More Posts by Dragon 2
Fly Fly Fly Crash
United States, CO, Montrose
Joined Aug 2005
3,454 Posts
Chris, Man that's 2 now. Sorry to hear that. Did both the phoon and Sky max go down at the same spot?? A hard crash can knock the voltage right out of a battery or so I have been told . Maybe something else.
Dragon 2 is online now Find More Posts by Dragon 2
Old Feb 08, 2016, 12:16 AM
Salida, CO.
Joined Oct 2004
1,111 Posts
I'm pretty sure the Typhoon went down because the antenna was shielded somehow. The Typhoon had a chintzy FrSky receiver in it. The Skymax had a nice Futaba receiver and I believe it was a battery issue. Both planes went down 1/4 mile apart with my new 2.4 transmitter. I can't blame the transmitter but my confidence is wavering.

I'd rather talk about the Broncos now, hah!
Old Feb 08, 2016, 06:49 AM
Santa Fe NM
Joined Jul 2009
1,384 Posts
Sorry to hear it!

Good/bad news........for me. If I don't fly I can't crash!

LP
Old Feb 08, 2016, 07:39 AM
Find More Posts by Rocky Mtn Flier
Just For The Fun Of It
Boulder, CO
Joined Aug 2004
1,257 Posts
Wow Chris. 'sorry to hear about the Skymax. Ugh! I believe there are battery checkers which put the battery under a load while checking. I've always thought I should get one, but haven't. Someone on the thread will no doubt know the brand.

The good news is the Orion is back together and ready to fly. But it's so ugly, with the fuselage nose a bit out of true that I ordered a new fuselage from Soaring USA which will probably arrive in May. So it'll have to fly ugly 'til then. Of course, like LP I don't crash in the winter 'cuz I don't tend to fly. Ski season and all.
Rocky Mtn Flier is offline Find More Posts by Rocky Mtn Flier
Old Feb 08, 2016, 07:51 AM
Santa Fe NM
Joined Jul 2009
1,384 Posts
Whoa.......clean workshop is a sign of sick mind Mr. Hine.

Actually thanks to Chirs's misfortune that it reminded me I need to replace ALL my rx batteries. Meant to do that last season. I'll order up a bunch from Aloft or Valuehobby. The LiFe batts are great from Value. Think I have NiMh packs approaching 10 years.........embarrassing to admit!

LP
Old Feb 08, 2016, 09:26 AM
Find More Posts by wavebuff
McPherson, KS
Joined Mar 2005
204 Posts
Sorry to hear about the Skymax loss Chris. I use this Hobbico voltmeter as it can put a load on the pack. Another thing is to cycle your battery packs under a load (.25 to .5amp) to get a feel how long the pack will last . I use the Multiplex LN-5014 as it shows the amount of milliamps coming out under a load and how much goes back in during a charge.

Hobbico Digital Voltmeter: http://www.amazon.com/Hobbico-Digita.../dp/B0014T1ISO

Multiplex LN-5014 is no longer in production but they can be found used. I would think most modern chargers could perform this task.

Great news about Skyline ridge as I have eyed it every time going that way!

Chance
wavebuff is offline Find More Posts by wavebuff
Last edited by wavebuff; Feb 08, 2016 at 09:28 AM. Reason: add info
Old Feb 08, 2016, 09:39 AM
Find More Posts by Rocky Mtn Flier
Just For The Fun Of It
Boulder, CO
Joined Aug 2004
1,257 Posts
Thank you for the voltmeter info, Chance. Going to the Hobbico site, it appears the meter is just for NiMH (NiCAD?) batteries, not lithium. But that might be fine for most slope a/c.

http://www.hobbico.com/fieldequip/hcap0356.php

... Greg
Rocky Mtn Flier is offline Find More Posts by Rocky Mtn Flier
Old Feb 08, 2016, 10:12 AM
Find More Posts by wavebuff
McPherson, KS
Joined Mar 2005
204 Posts
Yes, the Hobbico meter is for checking NiCAD and NiMH style batteries. Not sure which battery chemistry Chris is using.

Chance
wavebuff is offline Find More Posts by wavebuff