New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 21, 2015, 12:03 PM
Find More Posts by Gunnymike
United States, NC, Hillsborough
Joined Nov 2015
78 Posts
Discussion
150% speedy bee

Hi all, don't know if anyone will find this interesting but here she is. Clancy speedy enlarged to 60 inches, going to be my first electric. The way she sits with motor, prop, speed control, turtle deck formers and strengthened/laminated rudder outline weighs in at 35 ounces. In the interest of weight I did the elevators lazy bee style with laminated outlines and used some leftover 1/16x3/16 strips laminated to make the elevator stringers. Rudder outline is 1/32 ply sammiched between 3/32 balsa. I'm guessing a finished weight of 5-ish pounds. Looking forward to comments and or questions.
Gunnymike is offline Find More Posts by Gunnymike
Last edited by Gunnymike; Nov 21, 2015 at 12:10 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2015, 12:16 PM
Joined Nov 2015
78 Posts
Sorry guys I just noticed that I posted this in the scale section, I don't see a way to move it. Perhaps a moderator could help out with that?
Old Nov 21, 2015, 01:49 PM
Find More Posts by slipstick
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
11,995 Posts
You can use the "Report post to moderator" button and ask for it to be moved. The moderators don't read every post.

Steve
slipstick is online now Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Nov 21, 2015, 02:24 PM
Find More Posts by matheweis
United States, AZ, Flagstaff
Joined Dec 2013
223 Posts
Very cool. There was, almost, I think, a real "Big Speedy Bee" Kit. I don't think that it ever went into production, but Dereck Woodward (a huge fan of the bees) had one around 10 years back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dereck View Post
Maybe one day, I'll dig out my ancient pre-production Big Speedy Bee kit and built the thing, though it has a very heavy structure compared to any of the Lazy Bee's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dereck View Post
...a look around the inventory reveals the only Bee I have is a Big Speedy Bee kit - not the sort of thing I'm likely to build.
Your weight sounds about right; the Big Lazy Bee was 4-6lbs:
http://clancyaviation.com/bigbee.shtml

Post some photos when you are done!
matheweis is online now Find More Posts by matheweis
Old Nov 21, 2015, 07:21 PM
Joined Nov 2015
78 Posts
Thank you slippy, I have asked the mods to move my thread.
Math, I recall reading Dereks post somewhere recently, he does indeed seem to be a huge bee fan as I am becoming. Last winter I built a standard 40 incher over powered with a .10FSR and this is the most fun I've had since my last aeromaster. They are indeed lightweight, mine tips the scale at 25 ounces wet. There's a stagger bee kit on the shelf and I think next winters project may be a big bee with an aileron wing.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 05:54 AM
Find More Posts by RedTwilight
Cobra Driver
United States, NC, Hurdle Mills
Joined Dec 2005
398 Posts
Looking forward to seeing this completed.

Where do you fly? I'm right down the road from you in Hurdle Mills, and wouldn't mind seeing it fly sometime. Maybe I could even bring my 60" Big Lazy Bee out for a flight.

Also they are definitely light weight. My 1st 60" Big Lazy Bee flew on an old O.S. .28. But I do like it better with a .40 on it instead.
RedTwilight is offline Find More Posts by RedTwilight
Last edited by RedTwilight; Nov 23, 2015 at 06:03 AM.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 10:53 AM
Joined Nov 2015
78 Posts
I fly at the club in hurdle mills, just not as often as I'd like. I've only been here for a year and still getting settled.
I'd love to see the big bee fly as well.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 12:48 PM
Cobra Driver
Joined Dec 2005
398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnymike View Post
I fly at the club in hurdle mills, just not as often as I'd like. I've only been here for a year and still getting settled.
I'd love to see the big bee fly as well.
Cool. Maybe I'll see ya out there sometime. That is if I ever make it back to the field. I've been quit busy working a 2nd job. I'd like to make it out at least once more before our annual New Years day fly-in.

Trinity
Old Nov 23, 2015, 01:09 PM
Find More Posts by perttime
Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,609 Posts
Isn't rib spacing pretty wide, with the enlarged size?
perttime is offline Find More Posts by perttime
Old Nov 23, 2015, 05:14 PM
Joined Nov 2015
78 Posts
Yeah Trinity I've met you out there, I'm the fat guy with the silver tacoma and yellow lazy bee.

Pert, it does seem pretty wide to me too but it seems pretty sturdy thus far, we shall see what happens after it's covered. Probably Sig koverall BTW.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 11:59 PM
Find More Posts by matheweis
United States, AZ, Flagstaff
Joined Dec 2013
223 Posts
I'm with perttime, now that he points it out, the rib spacing does look like a bit of a stretch (no pun intended).
matheweis is online now Find More Posts by matheweis
Old Nov 24, 2015, 06:06 AM
Cobra Driver
Joined Dec 2005
398 Posts
The original Clancy Aviation Big Lazy Bee has a wing rib spacing of around 6" for both the 60" and 72" wing. I've put mine through #=!! and never had a problem with the wing. The covering adds a lot of strength to it. You just have to be careful not to invoke a twist into the wing while covering.

Mike - Your Bee is looking great! Did you cut the kit yourself?
Old Nov 24, 2015, 03:16 PM
Find More Posts by gordinir8
Athens Greece
Joined Jan 2008
328 Posts
That's cool keep posting progress. By the way you just gave me an idea with those gussets at your elevator, I will reinforce my 150% lazy bee elevator also.
gordinir8 is offline Find More Posts by gordinir8
Old Nov 24, 2015, 08:03 PM
Joined Nov 2015
78 Posts
Thanks Red! I added gussets on the ribs both fore and aft to stiffen things up a touch (pics forthcoming)
I did cut all the parts myself...twice. There's a post here with all the bee plans and it so happens that the speedy plans I used had all three sheets sized inaccordingly. I wound up ebaying a set from a gentleman not two blocks from where I lived in illinois, as luck would have it he had the ability to resize them. So in short, bought them, enlarged them, shipped them all less costly than the initial trip to kinkos. As an FYI any wood that enlarged to a bastard size got bumped up to the next common size (9/32 to 5/16) , she also got 1/16 ply doublers where the dowels go through and at the butt joints on the fuselage sides, cross grain sheeting along the fuse bottom and shear webs on both sides of the spar and partials on the next bay out. The ribs I made from 1/8th instead of 3/32 because I had a buttload of that size on hand.
Last edited by Gunnymike; Nov 24, 2015 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Forgot some stuff
Old Nov 24, 2015, 08:12 PM
Joined Nov 2015
78 Posts
The aforementioned reinforcement photos