New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 08:31 AM
Find More Posts by RogerDH
Joined Feb 2011
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
How much more expensive?
Apple charges $29 for theirs, and I see a lot on Amazon in the range of $18 to $20 (plus a lot of cheaper ones that I wouldn't trust after reading that article). That seems like a lot for a Mobius cable.
RogerDH is online now Find More Posts by RogerDH
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 01:07 PM
Find More Posts by RJBishop
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Oct 2013
876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDH View Post
The USB-C standard allows devices to negotiate power profiles up to 20V at 5A = 100W.
And the devices supplying that power should have proper current limiting to prevent what is described in that article. Computers dying has nothing to do with the device drawing the power or the cable.. It's cruddy design of the USB rail on the computer.
RJBishop is online now Find More Posts by RJBishop
Old Yesterday, 02:08 PM
Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
19,368 Posts
I'd like to get the discussion back on the Mobius, not the M2 prototype.

I need conclude this subject by saying there is confusion about what was proposed, and what the problem was in those links to "fried" equipment. We are NOT talking about making the camera a full USB-C device, nor having a USB-C plug or protocol on the power input end, but rather simply using the USB-C plug on the camera replacing a mini-USB plug. All the issues with the "frying" that were linked are with mis-wired cables as the root cause, and supplying power TO a peripheral FROM a full USB-C compliant computer port, with the latter contributing the problem of the mis-wired cables.

While a mis-wired cable supplying power to the wrong pins can be a problem with ANY cable, what is proposed is a standard USB type A plug (used for USB 2.0 to 3.1 protocol) like we now have with the Mobius for connecting to a PC or external USB power source. Those protocols do NOT negotiate with a peripheral to determine how much power is supplied to begin with, so the only connections to the camera would be the normal 2 data lines and 2 power lines, same as we now use. On the M2 end, again there would be no USB-C protocol used, so as long as power comes in on those dedicated pins of the USB-C plug, nothing has changed. The USB port is limited to 5V at 1A at most, and the camera cannot draw any more current than it always does.

I'd anticipate a properly wired cable would be supplied with the camera, though if a PC connection problem occurred, it would not be so simple to "try another cable", I guess. Though there are type-C adaptors that will accept standard USB cables as well that could be used, though some of those were found to be miswired when tested. This spreadsheet lists many cables and adaptors that were certification tested with pass/fail noted for those interested. The type of cable needed USB type A (male) on the PC/power input end and USB type C (male) on the camera end are readily available in the US$8-$12 range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janke View Post
USB-C - rather not!

Another comment regarding the problem with USB-C: http://www.theverge.com/2016/2/4/109...te-power-cords

It appears it's not only a problem of a wrongly connected cable, but the actual handshaking between the connected devices - if incorrectly handled, the current may become too big, frying components...
Quote:
The USB-C standard allows devices to negotiate power profiles up to 20V at 5A = 100W.
Since there would be no USB-C communication protocol being used by the camera or the PC/Power supply, there is no handshaking power issue involved.
Quote:
Apple charges $29 for theirs, and I see a lot on Amazon in the range of $18 to $20 (plus a lot of cheaper ones that I wouldn't trust after reading that article). That seems like a lot for a Mobius cable.
The type of cable needed USB type A (male) on the PC/power input end and USB type C (male) on the camera end are readily available in the US$8-$12 range at web stores like Amazon.com, but costs should be a lot less with components purchased in bulk and supplied with the camera.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Today at 12:32 PM.
Old Yesterday, 02:18 PM
Find More Posts by ThaHandy
Joined Apr 2010
111 Posts
Quote:
Apple = Apple,.It's cost + 200% profits with ANY Apple products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJBishop View Post
And the devices supplying that power should have proper current limiting to prevent what is described in that article. Computers dying has nothing to do with the device drawing the power or the cable.. It's cruddy design of the USB rail on the computer.
Why? The cable is the issue, not the power supply. If they are not create cables within the USB-C specs.
Its no rocket science to do some match about what types cables are required mm2 or AWG with X amps vs Y length. The longer the thicker it needs to be, due to the voltage drop.

Kinda selling a power cable rated @ 16amps (on the socket) while the core is 0.5mm2/AWG20 and with some luck its Aluminum or CCA

This USB-C talk is getting off-topic folks
ThaHandy is offline Find More Posts by ThaHandy
Old Yesterday, 06:16 PM
Find More Posts by empeabee
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,563 Posts
Quote:
'"GULP"' That definitely goes under the heading of Tune For Maximum Smoke tongue in cheek instructions for High power HF transmitters in the 1950's ....
Thanks - Mike
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee
Last edited by empeabee; Yesterday at 06:17 PM. Reason: ooops sorry Mike