Enjoy!

tim
tim hooper is offline Find More Posts by tim hooper
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2004, 09:31 AM
Racine, WI AMA# 809291
Joined Nov 2003
5,856 Posts
signing on to the thread. I haven't built one yet, but it's on my list of must do's Fantastic Jet Thomas
RCParkflyer is offline Find More Posts by RCParkflyer
Old Aug 09, 2004, 01:25 PM
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2002
2,906 Posts
Thanks, guy!

I'm just in the process of refurbishing my RK version. Got the decals wet out at the lake and they ran a bit. Got the new ones on last night, now I just need to replace the lower lip on each intake and it will be virtually 'like-new'.

I've said it numerous times, but I suspect there are enough people that doubt the long-term durability of fanfold in a plane like this that I'm going to repeat myself: while not especially tough, fanfold is super easy (& cheap) to repair. I've only got 26 flights on this airframe, but there's no reason why it can't last for a hundred or more flights. Excepting crashes, of course. Previous bird was retired at 86 flights in order to transfer the guts to this airframe.

Keep me in the loop RCParkflyer, and I'll help you through the construction of the '27.
Thomas Nelson is offline Find More Posts by Thomas Nelson
Old Aug 09, 2004, 01:31 PM
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2002
2,906 Posts
Yours is looking good Chas!

I'm not sure of Barry's cell count, but I flew early versions with the following setups:

9 KAN 950's on a S-400 and Gunther prop
9 Kan 950's on a S-480 and 7x4
9 KAN 950's on a S-480 and 7x5 APC-E

The last combo was the best brushed arrangement. I was at 20 ounces AUW if I recall. If I was to use a Speed 400 these days, I'd go with a 3S Lipo pack. 1500 mah ought to do the trick.

Best wishes on having her all ready for the 14th!

Tom
Old Aug 09, 2004, 01:46 PM
Perpetual Learner
Kirkcaldy, Fife, Scotland
Joined Mar 2004
158 Posts
Barry

Thanks for the info I think I might try it with a 400 first and if it looks like it needs more power then I'll go to the 480. Your comment about it not being a speed demon is fine for me, I want everyone to see the lines of the beast easily as it goes past ( also after watching Tom's videos I think I'll start cautious until I get used to it)

cheers
Chas
Chrysagon is offline Find More Posts by Chrysagon
Old Aug 09, 2004, 01:55 PM
Perpetual Learner
Joined Mar 2004
158 Posts
Tom

I'd just like to pass on my thanks for your efforts in starting this build. It has given me a lot of ideas for different aircraft and given me new respect for Depron and foam in general.
You produced a quick and easy ( and cheap- I'm Scottish remember!) plan which gives a finished model which looks every bit as mean as the real thing.
I read your'e building an F-16. What's the status on it and is it a similar build sequence ?

cheers
Chas.
Old Aug 10, 2004, 01:46 PM
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2002
2,906 Posts
Thanks for the kind words Chas. I had fun working through the design, but I also had a lot of help from fellow ezoners. Both aspects made the Flanker project very rewarding.

My EDF F-16 is stalled owing to home renovations, and general 'busyness'. From time to time I pick it up and resolve various details in my head, but that's about all I've done with it since about May. Ducting is complete, and the first iteration of the upper fuse is done, which is significant in that it has both concave and convex curves formed from a single sheet of fanfold ... no laminating! Also, the Mega 2-turn is easily able to lift motor, ESC, duct, Rx and cells vertically, so I am optimistic the end result has potential. Just need the time to get to it!

Tom
Old Aug 10, 2004, 03:11 PM
NY, NY
Joined Jul 2004
514 Posts
The granddaddy of all jet threads is back...

Tom:

Nothing but respect.
Cannot wait to see how the F-16 turns out.
I love the stuff that Green Air and Matt Bipeflyer have done with their tomcats, but you are the grand pubah.
Please let us know when you get back to the F-16s; no doubt it'll be worth the wait.

-T
Tomcat Fan is offline Find More Posts by Tomcat Fan
Old Aug 10, 2004, 07:50 PM
Perpetual Learner
Joined Mar 2004
158 Posts
Tom
Know what you mean regarding time, there never seems to be enough of it. Had a burst radiator yesterday so lost me a day working on the Flanker.
I didn't realise the F-16 was a ducted fan, can't wait to see the finished article. Also interested in the single sheet curve forming, I hope it turns out OK.
Best of luck with the renovations, they can be a real pain, I'll be looking out for updates. I'll also post more pics as they become available.

cheers
Chas
Old Aug 11, 2004, 12:03 AM
Mie oo Karjala poikii
Ruokolahti, Finland
Joined Apr 2001
704 Posts
Not a Flanker, but a Fulcrum... out of 3mm depron using Fiddlers Green plans. I've still got some sanding and shaping to do before gluing the parts together.

Couple of photos attached. Construction time so far 1 hour .

-=Mike=-
http://www.careliawin.com/tyson
Tyson is offline Find More Posts by Tyson
Old Aug 11, 2004, 09:21 AM
U.City Flyer
St. Louis, MO
Joined Oct 2002
859 Posts
Check YOur Motor Mount Before Flying

A word to the wise - always check your motor mount before flying. Tom designed the motor mount on purpose to be the weak link so that it would break in a prop strike and leave the plane intact. I didn't check the mount today before launching, but evidently some part of the foam was cracked. After the plane got about 10 feet in the air, all of a sudden the rear end of the plane just exploded. Evidently the cracked part of the foam broke and sent the motor flying. Luckily, the rear broke into some pretty discrete pieces which can be easily glued back in place. The lesson, though, is to check the motor mount each time, since this could have been much worse if the plane had been 200 ft in the air rather than just 10.

Happy flying.

Barry
bmizes is offline Find More Posts by bmizes
Old Aug 11, 2004, 02:03 PM
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2002
2,906 Posts
Mucho Gracias, Tomcat Fan. For the record, I don't feel worthy (at all!) of the GP status. Just the same though, I'm glad you're enjoying the thread!

Now Tyson on the other hand ... he's got that FG/Depron thing totally worked out! Looking forward to seeing how that '29 looks in the air!

Sorry to hear of the prang, Barry. (For those that don't know, Barry is one of the fellow ezoners that helped me along the way. He built his bird from the beta plans/instructions, and provided vaulable feedback that led to the present instruction). FWIW, the only failures I've had with my mount were instantly evident upon landing. Ever since I switched to the Mega and smaller prop, I've not had a single broken mount due to a prop strike. That's some 70 flights. (I DID have one heavy landing that cracked the foam around the mount instead of breaking it away ... needed some Probond to fix that booboo). I put this down to the smaller diameter prop not stressing the mount as much as the 7x5 APC-E. But you're right - a preflight check of the mount is a Good Idea. What size of prop are you runnin' with your S400, Barry? I'm also wondering if everyone is using the same mount system shown in the instructions ... suggestions on how to improve this are always welcome!
Old Aug 11, 2004, 02:22 PM
U.City Flyer
St. Louis, MO
Joined Oct 2002
859 Posts
Tom,

I use the white, Gunther prop, so I don't think that in and of itself is the problem. One of my previous landings was harder than it should have been, so that's probably what weakened the motor mount. This was totally my fault and if I had been paying attention, I would have noticed it and fixed it.

Oh well... it will be ready to go again in a day or two.

Barry
bmizes is offline Find More Posts by bmizes
Old Aug 12, 2004, 12:53 AM
Mie oo Karjala poikii
Ruokolahti, Finland
Joined Apr 2001
704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Nelson
Looking forward to seeing how that '29 looks in the air!
Some progress, but still work to do before the maiden flight...

-=Mike=-
http://www.careliawin.com/tyson
Tyson is offline Find More Posts by Tyson
Old Aug 12, 2004, 12:40 PM
Perpetual Learner
Joined Mar 2004
158 Posts
Mike
Are you using single sheet depron for the wings or are they folded. If single sheet, do you have any strengthening in the wings.

cheers
Chas