WBFlyer is offline Find More Posts by WBFlyer
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2014, 07:13 PM
FPV Proximity is FUN!
Australia, WA, York
Joined May 2012
1,490 Posts
Oh no! People stop being stupid fly low and fast it's funner!

-Ben
fOaMmaSh87 is online now Find More Posts by fOaMmaSh87
Old May 09, 2014, 08:45 PM
United States, FL, Kissimmee
Joined Dec 2008
246 Posts
Its just a matter of time . I'd love to find out who the "moronic idiot" flying the "drone" was. People like that need to be prosecuted. Period. The one thing we do not need right now is a mid air wether it be a single engine plane or an airliner. If anyone knows who the pilot was do the hobby a favor and turn him/her in. This simple action could save lives. And come on people just because a rig can fly fpv long distance does not mean that you should do it. As much as I like flying rc and full scale it is irresponsible of people flying recklesly by climbing past 400 feet and in controlled airspace of all things. And what really gets me is why the heck would the drone be camouflaged? Again if anyone knows who the moron was please turn him in- you might save a few lives and the hobby .
NeilRivera is offline Find More Posts by NeilRivera
Old May 09, 2014, 08:58 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2011
77 Posts
I call BS on the pilot's "encounter" - it's unverifiable, of course. This is just the FAA going on the offensive after getting their feelings hurt a few months ago. Don't think that they wouldn't make something up to push their agenda.
Pookyjuice is offline Find More Posts by Pookyjuice
Old May 09, 2014, 09:11 PM
United States, FL, Kissimmee
Joined Dec 2008
246 Posts
So what are we waiting for- a mid air perhaps with loss of life involved ? Just remember that a pair of geese brought down USAir on the Hudson. I dont think the FAA makes "things up" to push their agenda. And no proffesional pilot would make up a story like this and stick their reputation and career on the line.
NeilRivera is offline Find More Posts by NeilRivera
Old May 09, 2014, 09:18 PM
Joined Nov 2013
44 Posts
PSA flight 4650, most likely divulged thru ASAP and NASA as well.
pipsters is offline Find More Posts by pipsters
Old May 09, 2014, 09:40 PM
The Fixer
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Jan 2009
3,787 Posts
Well is was stated " FAA: The unmanned aircraft looked like a miniature F-4 Phantom jet, pilot said. " may be a lost control rc aircraft not fpv. Still...............oh look big foot.
Martin Y is offline Find More Posts by Martin Y
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyfly Fox Glider
Old May 09, 2014, 11:16 PM
Tesla's Workshop
USA, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2004
2,449 Posts
Funny how this coincides with the "Drone Near Misses" presentation Jim Williams (FAA) put on at the ongoing sUAS conference.

What's the point Jim? There are knuckleheads among us? Go after the knucklehead.
workshop is offline Find More Posts by workshop
Old May 09, 2014, 11:24 PM
Tesla's Workshop
USA, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2004
2,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilRivera View Post
So what are we waiting for- a mid air perhaps with loss of life involved ? Just remember that a pair of geese brought down USAir on the Hudson. I dont think the FAA makes "things up" to push their agenda. And no proffesional pilot would make up a story like this and stick their reputation and career on the line.
Yes... This is EXACTLY what we all are waiting for... And NOTHING will change. Plane accidents happen without the aid of unmanned vehicles, the loss of life is staggering yet people get right back on... Nobody bans airplanes. Nobody is going to loose the future just because it hurts sometimes.
workshop is offline Find More Posts by workshop
Old May 10, 2014, 06:59 AM
The Fixer
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Jan 2009
3,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilRivera View Post
Too add to this. It was a flock of geese and the ntsb confirmed 'the remains ofCanada Geese, the typical weights of which are well above the limits of impact for which the engines were designed.'
Most changes will only come into effect after something happends. IE: GM to Replace Lock Cylinder During Ignition Switch Recall.
Martin Y is offline Find More Posts by Martin Y
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Martin Y; May 10, 2014 at 07:06 AM.
Old May 10, 2014, 09:01 AM
Joined Jun 2005
1,033 Posts
Ban geese.
dapple63 is offline Find More Posts by dapple63
Old May 10, 2014, 09:30 AM
Too many numbers
United States, IL, Lake in the Hills
Joined Oct 2010
1,817 Posts
Sounds like a big turbine F-4 doing a loop or something to me. Everybody piles on the "drone" guys (which they should if they are flying over 400 feet), but I've seen guys flying these big turbine airplanes going WAY over 400 feet. I know as a fact a guy in a nearby club took his big turbine over 2500 feet in a loop last Fall, right into Class C airspace near an International airport. Point being: 1. News outlets and the FAA are concentrating on "drones" which aren't always the trouble makers; and 2. People need to stop being idiots and don't fly ANYTHING over 400 feet...
c131frdave is offline Find More Posts by c131frdave
Old May 10, 2014, 09:58 AM
Live Free and Fly
Joined Apr 2013
279 Posts
I would suggest people stop concentrating on "400 feet." Concentrating on an arbitrarily defined altitude "limit" and not on the bad seeds among us who fly irresponsibly -- e.g., over airports, in class C airspace, etc. -- is missing the point. 400 feet is meaningless -- it can easily be redefined to 200 feet, or 600 feet. The point is the irresponsible behavior has to stop. Whether a "rule" or "regulation" is defined by the FAA in the future, idiots will still fly in an unsafe manner. Let's try to educate people as to "why" it's a bad idea to fly in restricted airspace, and what the consequences of an "accident" would be personally, and for the hobby and millions of us who enjoy it.

I think the large FPV suppliers/resellers and, yes, even non-FPV retailers like Horizon need to have a conference on this issue and self-regulate before Big Brother drops the hammer.
bmw111 is offline Find More Posts by bmw111
Old May 10, 2014, 10:44 AM
Too many numbers
United States, IL, Lake in the Hills
Joined Oct 2010
1,817 Posts
No, 400 feet does have meaning. Pilots are directed by regulations not to fly below 500 feet over populated areas. So if you are flying your RC airplane, the area you are standing in is populated, so when I fly over you in my Cessna, I will be no lower than 500 feet. Your limit of 400 feet gives us separation.

From FAR 119 of Part 91 of the Federal Aviation Regulations (FAR):

1.Anywhere: an altitude allowing a safe emergency landing without undue hazard to person or property on the ground;

2.Over Congested Areas: an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal distance of less than 2,000 feet;

3.Over Populated Areas: an altitude of 500 feet AGL;

4.Over Open Water or Sparsely Populated Areas: an altitude allowing for a linear distance greater than 500 from any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure;

5.Helicopters: If without hazard to persons or property on the surface, an altitude lower than in definitions 2, 3, and 4 above, provided in compliance with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the FAA.

That being said, I agree with you totally.
c131frdave is offline Find More Posts by c131frdave
Old May 10, 2014, 11:46 AM
United States, WA, Clark County
Joined May 2014
257 Posts
I say with deep regret, that people in our country seem to have gotten really eager to join lynch mobs lately.

It seems like someone is getting convicted in the press of Something Horrendous every week.

And the FAA will happily put the screws to anybody they don't like.

So specs and regulations notwithstanding, for our own protection, we need to avoid being stupid, and to jump on anyone we see doing something that qualifies as stupid.
Columbian666 is offline Find More Posts by Columbian666