HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 26, 2007, 01:11 PM
Joined Apr 2007
4 Posts
Discussion
Italeri PT boat build

I thought I could let everyone know how my Italeri PT boat build is coming along. Progress has been slow. I have a 14 year old son who had the lead in his schools musical and who also runs track. Haven't had much time for the boat.

My son and I have built two of the Lindberg kits. Compared to this the Lindbergs are a snap. For the Lindbergs we used the Lindberg power drive conversion kit. The conversion was very easy. With the Italeri kit you really have to do a lot more fabricating and testing to see what will work.

So far I have the running gear mocked up and some basic assembly done. I decided to run two props off of a single motor. I tried running two motors but it was way too heavy. With what I have in the boat now it sits a little high but I still have a lot to add to the deck. I did use one of the motors from the Lindberg kit along with the speed control, prop shafts, stuffing boxes and props. The gear set is from Dumas. I am using lexan bulkheads to seal off the area by the ends of the stuffing boxes incase any water gets in through them. They are set at a very low angle.

Brian
bjldiver is offline Find More Posts by bjldiver
Last edited by bjldiver; Jun 26, 2007 at 09:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2007, 11:59 AM
FlyingPenQuinn
Maryland, USA
Joined Mar 2007
92 Posts
Whoa ...
Pretty impressive drydock there. Being a newbie but acutely interested in building a WWII era PT boat I am interested in your build - especially since it is from Italerie. How about some specs first. Scale? Size, etc.? Comments on the kit?
Please continue. Thanks.
QuinnH is offline Find More Posts by QuinnH
Old Jun 28, 2007, 01:29 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,565 Posts
I've got one of those drydocks in the basement if you're interested. LOL
green-boat is offline Find More Posts by green-boat
Old Jun 28, 2007, 01:38 PM
Joined Apr 2007
4 Posts
This is a 1/35 scale, the hull length is 27.55”. This kit from Italeri contains 322 parts molded in gray plastic, plus one clear acetate sheet for the windows, one photo etched fret containing 86 parts for torpedo fins, rocket launchers sides, 37mm gun ammo conveyor, gun sights, main mast aerials, instruments panel, deck lights. The one piece hull and single piece deck have good detail. There are many tiny parts that can be difficult to work with. The deck skylights are a challenge to get in cleanly. The detail of this kit is far superior to the Lindbergh kit. From what I have heard the hull of the Lindberg kit is closer to the design of the Higgins PT Boats. The Italeri hull is truer to the Elco design. So far the build has gone fairly smooth the fit of the parts is good. I have not needed to use much filler at the seams. The instructions can be vague at times but are workable. It would have been nice if they would have included some crew men. There’s a nice reference manual included with the history and actual photos of the full size boat.

The motor I am installing is the 3150 Model Marine Motor by M.A.C.K.
This is the motor used in many MACK Products conversion kits for Dumas, Lindberg, etc. Running at 12 volts net 12,000 plus RPM's. The rudders are from PMB rc parts in England. I might cut them down and reshape them to look more like the original PT rudders. The gear set is from Dumas and consists of parts from the Little Shelley Foss kit. I am planning on trying different props but for now I will use the props from the Lindberg kit. I will also determine from test runs if I will stay with the single motor set up. If I can not get the proper scale speed I will refit the boat with twin brushless motors and electric speed controllers.

I will have some free tome this week end so I hope to make some progress and will up date as things progress.

My Dry-dock consists of two running Lindberg PT's one under construction and two for parts. I am also working on a 1:32 landing craft and 1:32 Tank that my son and I are going to put into a diorama with one of the PT boats. That’s next winters project.
Last edited by bjldiver; Jun 28, 2007 at 01:48 PM.
Old Oct 07, 2007, 07:57 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Coastal Maine
Joined Jun 2007
856 Posts
I like the looks of it. I was trying to think how I'd set mine up, and I like your gear method.
graphixman is offline Find More Posts by graphixman
Old Oct 07, 2007, 10:18 PM
Minnetonka Minnesota
Joined Aug 2007
1,196 Posts
Wow, Looks great Brian. I got the same kit but haven't had much time to move on it. The three props had me stumped, just didn't like the non-symmetry of it. I'll have to consider your method. Cap
capricorn is offline Find More Posts by capricorn
Old Oct 22, 2007, 01:20 PM
Joined Apr 2007
4 Posts
I haven't done much to it these lest few months. I will take some additional pics of the drive system and post them for you.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 01:32 AM
United States, NV, Pahrump
Joined Jun 2005
844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjldiver
I haven't done much to it these lest few months. I will take some additional pics of the drive system and post them for you.
Any more info on your power system.
I starteed a post not knowing about yours but seems it has not been added
Take a look at the brass parts that are out, and the new crew for the PT 1/35 scale
Spaceshuttle1 is offline Find More Posts by Spaceshuttle1