HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 07, 2006, 05:15 AM
Leaning doesn't help
Sydney
Joined Sep 2005
820 Posts
Discussion
Ptero-x Motor Glider

This is my first build so any help would be appreciated. Just got the Ptero - X from the Revolutionshop (eBay) and all came beautifully wrapped, packed and express from HK. Cost A$65 plus A$34 postage so I got out of it for less than $100 (or so I thought). It has a 380 brushed motor standard and I'm thinking I'll go with this to start with. The suggested power set up is as follows:

NImh 8.4-9.6v 650mAh or
LiPoly 7.4-11.1v 1200-1800mAh

with a 25A Digital Speed Controller

I have 2 x 11.1v 1800mAh 3c lipos so I think thats the way to go.

Wingspan is only 1495mm so is small enough not to be too dangerous on landings, I'm trying not to inflict too much pain on innocent passers by.

The worse part of the kit is the instructions. Photocopies of pics that don't show any details and with very brief descriptions leave a lot to be desired. I have read through them and can get the general idea but I may need assistance at some points to clarify the correct procedures.

Anyway, the first problem was to get started with the project as the financial controller has confiscated it to wrap for Chrissy so I have had to sneak the following pictures while shes out and about.

I've already had some valuable insights and assists from Olmod and I hope he can continue with the hints and help. Anyway, here we go.

Gluggy
Gluggy is offline Find More Posts by Gluggy
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2006, 06:44 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,501 Posts
The only way i could figure out how it goes together was the pieces with a nut imbedded i had to face with ply glued over the top or otherwise the nut would just pull out ,if you look at the pix i had to do a lot of sanding to one with the nutwith the ply on top well down inside the tail fin the other after sanding to shape glue to the bottom of the tailplane when thats dry i put a peice of glad wrap between that and the one im about to glue into the fin apply some Slow epoxy glue and push the lot into place checking for squarness ect.
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Old Dec 07, 2006, 04:45 PM
Model Bender
Australia, NSW, Newcastle
Joined Jun 2004
2,870 Posts
I've now got 2 models from rev. shop.. a ultra thermo hlg and a speedo thermo.. Who comes up with these names?!

Pretty good value for money, although they both required some better hardware and some mods to get them up to a good standard. Quality of the glass fuses isn't euro standards, but is ok for the $$.

Will maiden the speedo thermo this w/end (weather cooperating). The servo covers seem identical to yours, and went straight into the bin in favour of lighter and sleeker carbon versions.

And.. yep, the instructions for these models are terrible!

Would be great to fit a nice low kv outrunner in the nose, and get rid of that 380 size canned dinosaur
OzDragonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by OzDragonFlyer
Old Dec 07, 2006, 05:04 PM
Leaning doesn't help
Sydney
Joined Sep 2005
820 Posts
I have just the outrunner, but won't remodel the fuz until I at least fly it in its original format. The last time I did that I stuffed the plane. You mention carbon servo covers? can you point me in the right url direction for these. I've already ordered better push rod on Olmods suggestion so I'd like to add strength and benefit where possible to give this model every chance of surviving the first 30 seconds of flight!
Old Dec 07, 2006, 05:18 PM
RC recluse
Australia, NSW, Kempsey
Joined Dec 2004
1,808 Posts
I reckon wel could probably squeeze that outrunner in there Gluggy, but even that 380 motor with your 3cell Lipo's will be a good combo me thinks. That should get you some good height pretty quick, and allow for some good power off gliding sessions.

I reckon we could have her all done in a weekend after xmas.

Brett
nator_au is offline Find More Posts by nator_au
Old Dec 07, 2006, 05:31 PM
Leaning doesn't help
Sydney
Joined Sep 2005
820 Posts
Just one question to begin, when you stick in the elevator servo mount, as it is ply and flat and the fuz is rounded inside the cockpit, does just the top and bottom of the mount get glued in vertical? This means only a section of themount has glue supporting it (at the top ad bottom?) This doesn't sound strong or am I worrying too much? Gluggy
Old Dec 07, 2006, 05:32 PM
Leaning doesn't help
Sydney
Joined Sep 2005
820 Posts
I'll book that in Nator...pork barby and B and Coke it is then.
Old Dec 07, 2006, 06:59 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,501 Posts
I have ditched the brushed motor in favour of a double 20mm gb wich uses a HY 9.5x8 folder wich provides more thrust and less current and will with a new mount will fit inside on 2sp btw i bought 4 emoli cells and have made 2 packs good for 26 amps motor draws 9amps. btw build in some down thrust hiya Oz weird bunch of names match the instructions
Old Dec 07, 2006, 07:42 PM
Leaning doesn't help
Sydney
Joined Sep 2005
820 Posts
nator explained the purpose of the glad wrap Olmod...sorry I'm really slow on this stuff and need to go slow so I don't stuff anything. I'm so looking forward to getting into the build...I might even try some sweet persuasion with the present wrapper to see if I can do the build first then wrap the finished plane the day before. I could then unwrap and be flying 2 mins later - oooo joy to the world!
Old Dec 07, 2006, 08:58 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1 Posts
hi i'm new here - but your plane looks sweeeet...
spongepants is offline Find More Posts by spongepants
Old Dec 07, 2006, 09:13 PM
Leaning doesn't help
Sydney
Joined Sep 2005
820 Posts
Welcome Spongee, you seem to know a sweet plane when you see it. What type of planes do you fly? You sound like you know alot about this hobby?
Old Dec 08, 2006, 07:33 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,501 Posts
In case you havent worked it out i think the servo's lay on their side accross the bottom the notches in the ply are for zip ties to hold the servo's down probably onto a double sided tape.you can see the sullivan outer that i use as an inner cable as it has less play,and one of the emoli packs.
Old Dec 10, 2006, 04:37 AM
Leaning doesn't help
Sydney
Joined Sep 2005
820 Posts
Hey Olm, can you do a pic with the servo in position. I think I get the idea, just want to see the final position.
Old Dec 10, 2006, 05:05 AM
Beginner with a Vector
Sutho, Southern Sydney
Joined May 2006
182 Posts
Geez Gluggy, can't wait to see this one out on the hill, looks a nice ship. Been tempted myself, but I have enough projects in the garage and in my mind!
auspoundy is offline Find More Posts by auspoundy
Old Dec 11, 2006, 08:52 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Joined Apr 2004
10,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluggy
Hey Olm, can you do a pic with the servo in position. I think I get the idea, just want to see the final position.
Ok Well after trying just the yellow rod as an inner i still wasn't satisfied and used the wire as well as the pix will show,you will also see how i cut the thead off one of the cable adapters to get enough room on the elevator end ,i used locktite to glue the cable connectors,and a ball joint on the servo it works very nice with no slop that i could notice.also my prototype rudder wich should be handy for landings