HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 10, 2014, 01:02 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,362 Posts
Idea
DEPRONKER BIPE - Gere Sport excellent design

First saw photos when JDJim posted his build ... and then another with ailerons .. now here was a simple and effective bird that cried out for me to see what I could achieve.

Don't get me wrong - my admiration goes out to Gere Sport for the design and JDJim for building ...

I mentioned in the Scratchbuild that I was interested to see what could be done with this basic design - use it as a starting block. Keep the simplicity of it but add some cosmetics or subtle changes to give illusion of another.

Well - I have always liked the German scalloped wings and tails of WW1 fighters .. Fokker must have had an artistic bent in mind when he did that. Actually I heard it was an early attempt to get the airflow to separate cleanly from the T/E ... I doubt the story .. but who knows.

So I've emailed Gere Sport and let him know I'm taking a few liberties with his design and hope he doesn't mind.

I have made a few modifications .. scalloped T/E to wings, angled wing tips, tail feathers, made pilot cut-out in top wing, drawn a simple gun to mount ... I also plan to add a top curved decking with an engine block up front .. Coke bottle radial cowling ...

To give it the style of a WW1 Fokker ...

Now who's going to do the Sopwith version ?

I reckon with a little thought ... a little strengthening of the wings ... this could develop into a nice little Dog-Fight model ...

C'mon - who's game for a laugh ??

Attached is my first thoughts on the Fokker style "DZEPRONKER" ...

Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2014, 02:46 AM
Staffordshire, England
Joined Feb 2005
336 Posts
Nice work Nigel. With the right paintwork it'll look near enough a Fokker for the sports flyers.

The original bipe thread is here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1243867

I must build an aileron one like JDJim did. Now I've spotted some 70W motors( used in the twisted hobbies kits) instead of my original 50W setup, I think the aerobatic perfomance will be fun.

I'm part way through enlarging the design on CAD after requests from builders of the original who wanted a larger version.
Gere Sport is online now Find More Posts by Gere Sport
Old Jun 10, 2014, 04:57 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,362 Posts
Many thanks for accepting my playing with your design. I would have withdrawn the thread if any objection.

The DZEPRONKER I put up is still being worked on ... it was to try and chivvy up a few others to have a go ...

What I particularly like is the use of the ply to make workable cabanes. Many a plan puts me of because of the 'wirework' involved. This basically solves that brilliantly.

I'm thinking to add interplane struts as well and maybe 4 ailerons - not two. But that will mean strengthening the wings and may drop her out of the simplistic arena. With the SE5 I did - a foam spar was put in and a top 3mm sheet added to curve an aerofoil shape. The strength has been much better than I ever expected. No pine or CF in it.

I must read through the link you gave ... get a bit more background and feel for this bipe. I know reading what others say - ie JDJim ... it lives up to its ideal.

Anyway - thanks again ... and I will certainly post up what I do and what is result ...

Cheers
Nigel
Old Jun 10, 2014, 05:44 AM
Staffordshire, England
Joined Feb 2005
336 Posts
On my own SE5a version, I added interplane struts made from coffee stir sticks epoxied into slot in the depron. The small servo screws allowed me to disassemble the model for any maintenance.

It will be interesting to see if there is a neat way to hook up the ailerons?

I'm with you on the aerofoil idea. The larger version I'm drawing has foam ribs with 3mm depron sheeting. I'm aiming for 36" span like the original wooden design but the wing building will be similar to my Dragonfly. I got the idea when I saw the Dragonfly's 4 polyhedral glider wing panels on the bench and thought it would make a nice bipe.

See posts 7 & 8 in this thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2066473
Gere Sport is online now Find More Posts by Gere Sport
Old Jun 10, 2014, 09:41 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,362 Posts
Here's my modification of a flat plate 3D SE5 :

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...&highlight=SE5

It flies remarkably well and really looks the part ...

Struts are bicycle spokes with foam plates either side..... same as the U/C ...

Nigel