Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 08, 2014, 10:25 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,145 Posts
Discussion
X-Treme 600, X-Tron 500 and other RJX helicopters.

General thread for helicopters made by RJX Hobby.

Here's some build pics from my X600.

The box: (blades and motor were not included)

Tail drive:

The drive gear is steel, also I have the flange on the pulley pointing the wrong way here.

Frame parts: (pinion support block not shown)

I added an additional 32mm frame brace to the center of the arch at the bottom (there is a screw hole for it in the frame already)

Auto hub: (one way bearing cover goes in from below opposite most helicopters)

Main and auto gears are CNC rather than injection molded.

Two M2.5 bolts clamp the tail gear hub to the one way bearing cover and two M4 bolts thread into the mainshaft (the bolt holes in the mainshaft are tapped). There is no wobble or runout in any of the gears (there is a tiny bit of wobble in the pulley but it's way better than the wobbly TT gears on my Trex 550)

Skids:

Swashplate:

Head: (I replaced the M5 button heads on the feathering shaft with M5 cap heads)

Two M4 bolts thread into the mainshaft on either side instead of an M3 jesus bolt and the swash drivers are integrated into the hub. Except for the hub it is the same as the RJX .50 head.

Tail: Hub has two set screws on either side, the pulley is held by a pin which is retained by a set screw that threads into the end of the shaft.

Tail unit was the only pre assembled part. I stripped it down and there was no locktite on anything, which is how I like it. Getting that pin out requires a heat gun and tapping it out with the pulley hub braced on a block of wood to protect the bearings so I left it alone.

Tail grips are plastic but there are aluminum ones available. I think I'll stick with the plastic for now though, tail ratio is 4.7:1.

Completed airframe:

Closeup of frame:

Tail on left side:

Compared to my Trex 550:

I'm now stopped until the Promodeler coreless cyclics come back in stock.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Jun 09, 2014 at 02:24 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2014, 04:40 PM
I win again!! - mother gravity
Greenland, Qaasuitsup
Joined Apr 2013
1,470 Posts
wow, this is cool. very detailed and clean pix!! mine's in bits and pieces right now. Wish there were more distributors since heli is pretty neat. I kinda miss horizontal wing on the RJX. even for cosmetics it looks pretty cool i think.

hey, did you fly her yet? how's vibrations on spool up? does your canopy brush against main gear? I had to use extensions on canopy holding tubes to get the canopy a little wider, thus giving little extra room between canopy and main gear. Does your main gear wobble?

i know, sorry about all questions, i just remembered everything i wanted to ask and typed it all out.

EDIT: sorry, just noticed no servos in RJX we'll leave questions for later then...
Flying Pitcher is offline Find More Posts by Flying Pitcher
Last edited by Flying Pitcher; Jun 09, 2014 at 04:44 PM. Reason: .
Old Jun 09, 2014, 09:29 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,622 Posts
A few pics of the RJX Xtron 500 .

Electronics used:

Align 500MX 1600Kv
Hobbywing 100Amp ESC
KST DS525MG servos around
AR7200BX
Scorpion B.U.G

The Kit does not come with Tail boom Braces. ( take note of last pic) . . I thought it was an odd look. . So I made some from some spares I had from another.
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Old Jun 10, 2014, 05:02 PM
Greenland, Qaasuitsup
Joined Apr 2013
1,470 Posts
well, i guess i can chime in with my setup as well

Turnigy Typhoon600 motor (1100kv)
Castle Ice75 amp ESC (on 6s) <---i know, but think of it as a passenger commercial jetliner
Promodeler servos PDRS74140DLHV x4
3x1000 flight controller

here are a few pix:
this is the weight with battery (6s 5000mah) in KILOgrams

this is compared to a 450 size heli on left...

here's how big it is when you place human nearby...

in a hover!! (boom braces are included with a heli)
Old Jun 10, 2014, 11:35 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
Joined Aug 2012
3,622 Posts
Looks good F.P . . . I'm still very tempted to give this bird ( X600) a go . . Only on 7 - 8 or 10s . . Still loving that abstract 80's canopy.

I really don't have much to report on my Xtron 500. . This thread was a little to late to do my build here. And no reason for me to Yammer on about it. . you all know I like it and was pleasantly surprised by the Quality.

PhilUK should be joining us here shortly with his Xtron . . Any day now in the mail I imagine.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 01:20 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,145 Posts
The Vector 700 is supposed to come out in July, note the two stage reduction.

It looks like a pulley on the motor drives a second intermediate pulley which directly drives both the maingear pinion and the front tail belt pulley. It also appears to have an auto tensioner on the tail belt.

Rjx vector 700 (2 min 3 sec)
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Jun 11, 2014 at 01:35 AM.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 06:58 AM
Greenland, Qaasuitsup
Joined Apr 2013
1,470 Posts
wow, cool. scary looking motor drive but definitely neat nonetheless. they must be going for high rpm motor on this one....?

Hey, i read you(Dej) snatched his bird in shipping over at hobbyking! i can't believe he's still waiting for that one!!
Old Jun 11, 2014, 09:49 AM
Need More PURPLE !!
Joined Aug 2012
3,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Pitcher View Post
wow, cool. scary looking motor drive but definitely neat nonetheless. they must be going for high rpm motor on this one....?

Hey, i read you(Dej) snatched his bird in shipping over at hobbyking! i can't believe he's still waiting for that one!!
Yes . . Technically the Xtron I have now should have gone to Phil and I would be the one in wait. . But HK muffed up their point of sale / stock . . . .

Great that HK got it back in stock for him within 3 weeks . . But they did not bring in any others . . .
Old Jun 11, 2014, 02:18 PM
Mostly harmless
United Kingdom, Scotland, Edinburgh
Joined Jan 2013
953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejavu*Xion View Post
PhilUK should be joining us here shortly with his Xtron . . Any day now in the mail I imagine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Pitcher View Post
Yey! Mine arrived today!

I've not had a chance unpack it yet, but the box certainly looks nice!

Quote:
Yes . . Technically the Xtron I have now should have gone to Phil and I would be the one in wait. . But HK muffed up their point of sale / stock . . . .

Great that HK got it back in stock for him within 3 weeks . . But they did not bring in any others . . .
No worries mate, I'd have felt bad if the situation had been reversed & you'd been screwed, since you were the one that alerted me to the RJXs in the 1st place...
- and HK a relatively good job of re-stocking 1 SKU for me to grab so, that was cool

I'm still trying to persuade HK to give me back all the spares I (foolishly) RMA'd though!
FlyingPhilUK is offline Find More Posts by FlyingPhilUK
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 11, 2014, 03:25 PM
Israel, Ein Gedi
Joined Mar 2010
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPhilUK View Post
Yey! Mine arrived today!

I've not had a chance unpack it yet, but the box certainly looks nice!

No worries mate, I'd have felt bad if the situation had been reversed & you'd been screwed, since you were the one that alerted me to the RJXs in the 1st place...
- and HK a relatively good job of re-stocking 1 SKU for me to grab so, that was cool

I'm still trying to persuade HK to give me back all the spares I (foolishly) RMA'd though!
Woohoo...... One more RJX on this forum!! Congrats!!
And I'm still waiting for my 600.
Have you decided about your setup?
I'm going on 12s with Edge 120A and OS Brushless 560Kv.
silenser is online now Find More Posts by silenser
Old Jun 11, 2014, 03:35 PM
Mostly harmless
Joined Jan 2013
953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenser View Post
Woohoo...... One more RJX on this forum!! Congrats!!
And I'm still waiting for my 600.
Have you decided about your setup?
I'm going on 12s with Edge 120A and OS Brushless 560Kv.
Mine's the 500, so it's 6s

Here's what I have ready to fit:
Cyclic: KST DS515MG
Tail: Turnigy TGY-DS525MG
ESC: YEP 90A
Motor: Turnigy HeliDrive SK3 - 4249-1600kv
Gyro: Yellow KBar
Main Blades: RJX 430mm
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 11, 2014, 03:56 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
Joined Aug 2012
3,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPhilUK View Post
Mine's the 500, so it's 6s

Here's what I have ready to fit:
Cyclic: KST DS515MG
Tail: Turnigy TGY-DS525MG
ESC: YEP 90A
Motor: Turnigy HeliDrive SK3 - 4249-1600kv
Gyro: Yellow KBar
Main Blades: RJX 430mm
Nice Electronics . . And wheeeeew . . The on going Hk Drama is nearly over . . Now to get your spares re-sent. Hopefully you wont need them for a few months if not more.
Remember the Manuel is not very good. . Pay extra attention to how the bearing blocks go in. . I muffed mine and had to go back and redo half my build. :roll eyes: . lol
I'm curious. . What color canopy did you get in ? Green as well ? I cant think of any tips to make you aware of. It's a solid build. . However my Auto gear is "super" close to a frame rub. . So I'll be curious to know of your clearance.

About your SK3 Motor. . I have one in my 700 . . . Great Motor. Because of that I bought one for this Xtron, only and the shaft broke clean in two. . I ordered up a 450 main shaft and Fixed it. . I'm currently running an Align 500MX in my Xtron . . I did not want to wait on the 450 shaft. . Anyways . . .Take your first few flights easy and Keep an eye on that SK3 shaft.
Hopefully it was just mine that was bunk. . I have not heard of any other reports on it from others.
Last edited by Dejavu*Xion; Jun 11, 2014 at 09:14 PM.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 08:39 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,145 Posts
It seems that Audacity is concentrating on making the brushless and ferrite core servos because they sell better (it seems most people want either the best or the cheapest) and won't be getting the coreless back in stock anytime soon so it looks like I'm going to have to find something else to use as cyclics.

all e RC has the Hyperion DH20X-SCD's on sale for 50% off but they are carbon/poly gear servos. Still $23.99 is a very good price and the gear sets are cheap (and I don't crash much anyway)
Old Jun 12, 2014, 01:51 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,145 Posts
Quote:
Hopefully it was just mine that was bunk. . I have not heard of any other reports on it from others.
I had an SK3 in my 500, they are made from butter soft aluminum and the screw holes strip easily. I'd recommend putting in mounting studs with red locktite and using nylock nuts to mount it for this reason.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 05:28 AM
Mostly harmless
Joined Jan 2013
953 Posts
I know, the SK3 is a possible worry!
- but I have it now, and will see how well it holds up

If it's too soft, or falls apart on the first flight, I guess I will need to find a different motor!

I have an SK3 on my CX450
- and it has worked fine so far, despite a few heavy crashes
- so maybe the 500-size one will be ok!

Quote:
Remember the Manuel is not very good. . Pay extra attention to how the bearing blocks go in. . I muffed mine and had to go back and redo half my build. :roll eyes: . lol
I'm curious. . What color canopy did you get in ? Green as well ? I cant think of any tips to make you aware of. It's a solid build. . However my Auto gear is "super" close to a frame rub. . So I'll be curious to know of your clearance.
Ok, thanks for the build tips!

My canopy is Red - fusuno
as per the picture!
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=47891
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by FlyingPhilUK; Jun 12, 2014 at 05:37 AM.