HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 02, 2014, 07:31 AM
Self confessed Aeroholic
Australia, QLD, Elimbah
Joined Jan 2005
1,448 Posts
Question
How is this done???

What is the shape of the mould or what is the technique for incorporating wipers and a live hinge in the moulding process?

Have you seen how this is done and are willing to share?

David
Larrikin is offline Find More Posts by Larrikin
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2014, 09:05 PM
United States, CA, Mission Viejo
Joined Jan 2005
2,239 Posts
Take a look here - simply a tutorial masterpiece!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=778363

Take a look at this thread. Not only is he willing to share I am truly amazed at the professional quality of work. Joe truly posted the methods for creating first class air frames.

Start at 1878 but the entire thread is amazing

Thanks Joe - works of art.
Air Head is online now Find More Posts by Air Head
Old May 02, 2014, 09:26 PM
Self confessed Aeroholic
Australia, QLD, Elimbah
Joined Jan 2005
1,448 Posts
Thanks Air Head ... that's not quite what I was looking for.

it appears to me that some manufacturers are moulding the wiper as part of the moulding process as opposed to post fitting the wiper after the wing has been released.

D.
Old May 02, 2014, 10:16 PM
United States, CA, Mission Viejo
Joined Jan 2005
2,239 Posts
OK I get it

I remember seeing that done online somewhere, but off the top of my head where is the question.

The detail you posted of the molded shell perhaps has the hinge and skin of that half molded behind the sub spar with no core only skin. Then it looks like a solid core aileron with the top skin and the molded leading edge perhaps a separate molded piece. Then glue it to the hinged side in another step, Just put peel ply on the trailing edge skin so you have a good surface to bond the aileron. Your going to need a mold for the aileron and the curved leading edge that slides against the wiper. I think with CNC made molds drawing this up on a computer would make it easier than the hand fashioned way I would need to do it. Jigs and placement with computerized machinist precision makes this hobby a bit more exact than the way I grew up doing this, but some of these toy airplanes are very precise. Id really like to go CNC but haven't even been able to even play for the past 18 months so I'm just dreaming and typing.

Ill try to find what I'm thinking of but I have a bit of an overload for the next couple weeks.
Air Head is online now Find More Posts by Air Head
Last edited by Air Head; May 02, 2014 at 10:44 PM.
Old May 03, 2014, 06:17 AM
Arrarrar!
Australia, NSW, Wagga Wagga
Joined Jan 2010
3,286 Posts
Someone explained this a while ago. From what they said the mould is created so the control surfaces are moulded in a deflected position. Once the part is released the hinge gap is cut and the surface deflected back to neutral the wiper slides under the skin like normal. Super clever hey!
josh18 is online now Find More Posts by josh18
Old May 03, 2014, 04:14 PM
working to the closest cm
brisbane australia
Joined Nov 2002
2,123 Posts
Pretty well as detailed in previous posts.

The top section of the aileron is a separate mold. Once the skin and core are laid up it is then joined to the back of the main wing mold down onto the bottom aileron surface. As detailed below the wiper section is a separate removable section.

There are pictures somewhere here on Rcgroups. Chetos posted them IIRC.

Cheers Jeff
jirvin_4505 is online now Find More Posts by jirvin_4505
Old May 03, 2014, 04:32 PM
Self confessed Aeroholic
Australia, QLD, Elimbah
Joined Jan 2005
1,448 Posts
Genius ... thanks AirHead, Josh n Jeff
Old May 08, 2014, 07:01 PM
ETS....Energy retention system
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,342 Posts
That was me josh
Peter and I have spoken a lot about it and almost did it on the gizmo and thought about again with the 2m , but little to hard due to material thickness we are machining out of.

Check out a maxa , they are moulded this way. I saw Kane's in the flesh for the first time and and it look great and very well done. BUT it only good for very small deflection's , as it has very large controls they done move much , the bull nose is only a few mm.

Tim
timbuck is offline Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
Old May 08, 2014, 09:37 PM
Arrarrar!
Australia, NSW, Wagga Wagga
Joined Jan 2010
3,286 Posts
Cheers Tim. But I think I was wrong now, looking closer at the pic. The seperately moulded half of the surface, then stuck on looks like the winner. Super complicated, I wonder how much benifit there is to it?
josh18 is online now Find More Posts by josh18
Old May 08, 2014, 11:51 PM
Self confessed Aeroholic
Australia, QLD, Elimbah
Joined Jan 2005
1,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh18 View Post
I wonder how much benifit there is to it?
'zackly what I was thinking. Even having a separate mould for the entire control surface hinged with silicon would be easier than just a separate top surface mould and a "live" hinge.

It might be an easy thing to do with cnc milling but for hand-made plugs n moulds ??? Meh ... too hard.

D.