HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 24, 2013, 10:01 AM
Joined Sep 2010
88 Posts
Discussion
Hangar 9 Twist Conversion New Thread

Hey guys, thought I would start this thread up because I bought a 40 sized twist...second coming of this plane for me (first one was more than 6 years ago). Anyway my last twist was glow powered and now I would like to convert this one to electric. Im looking for some advice on the best way to install an electric motor to this firewall. Checked old twist threads but can seem to find what I need. Any help will sure be appreciated thanks

Billy Napkin
Billynapkin is offline Find More Posts by Billynapkin
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2013, 04:36 PM
What, Me Worry?
United States, FL, Sanford
Joined Feb 2007
233 Posts
I've got the same idea for my Twist. Would like to convert from glow to electric and would like to see what others have done.
edbu1 is offline Find More Posts by edbu1
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 27, 2013, 11:32 PM
Cookies Good - Bacon Better
Portland, Oregon
Joined Sep 2008
1,590 Posts
Been flying a conversion for several years. Running several motors at different times. Usually around a 4250 size with a 650 to 700 kV rating. 5s 3700 Rhino packs with a 13 X 6.5 APCe prop. It'll out accelerate an OS 61 powered twist vertically. Currently have a Tacon 46 670 kV on it, same battery, same prop. Haven't flown it this way yet, but fully expect good results. Hope this helps some.
NoMatta is offline Find More Posts by NoMatta
Old Mar 28, 2013, 01:06 PM
What, Me Worry?
Joined Feb 2007
233 Posts
Thanks for posting. Any issues with fitting the batteries? Do they fit within the fuel tank area? What flight times do you typically get?
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 28, 2013, 11:28 PM
Portland, Oregon
Joined Sep 2008
1,590 Posts
The batts I use fit fine. Just put some velcro strips on batt and tank floor, a piece on the end of the battery and the firewall, then a loop at the back for security. I made no special efforts for a hatch, just take the wing off. I have an arming plug on the side to make it safe to handle with the battery plugged in. ESC is in the bottom, in front of the gear with some covering removed for cooling. If you are interested, I'll post some pics this weekend.

Also buzz by the Twistaholics thread in gas 3D. Lots of good guys there and a wealth of information.
Old May 24, 2013, 11:36 AM
What, Me Worry?
Joined Feb 2007
233 Posts
I finished my twist conversion. I'm using a Tacon 46-670kV motor, 5 cell, 4000 mah battery and a Turnigy Plush 60A ESC. I bolted the motor to a new plywood firewall that I installed forward of the stock firewall. Then I cut out the stock firewall and cut out the top of the fuselage above where the fuel tank was. Placed a plank of thin plywood as a new floor for the battery and fashioned a new hatch cover out of thick balsa. Now I can change batteries without removing the wing.

I test flew this setup last weekend and am very happy with the results. Better performance than with the glow engine, and plenty of flight time. Looking forward to flying it again as soon as possible.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 24, 2013, 11:26 PM
Portland, Oregon
Joined Sep 2008
1,590 Posts
Congrats!! Just put a Tacon 46 in my T-40 also. Flies ballistic. You'll have a ball.
Old May 25, 2013, 06:46 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,665 Posts
I've been running one of the early Twists with the yellow covering rather than the beige. About 5 yrs old with a Himax 5018-530. Was running a Rhino 6 cell 4900ma batt but finally was getting tired so replaced it this yr with the Compact Flightmax of 5800 ma. Takes up about the same ammount of room because of the smaller physical size. It extends out under the wing compartment about 2 ins. The batt stays in the plane and the main batt connector and the balance cable come through the firewall and exit under the motor for charging and connecting to the ESC. Excellent funplane, Great flatspins etc. Doesn't knifedge all that well unless your going full throttle. Prop is 13-8 APC for gas because I found the electric APC was showing stressmarks at the prop hub ready to throw a blade. A buddy has the bigger Twist and did throw a blade. Took the front end off the plane taking the motor and batt with it. Cost him a new fuse. and now uses a gas prop. Flatspins on this plane are very tight and the gyroscopic forces on the prop are horific. Hope this helps. By the way, make sure there are adequate hole in the firewall for airflow to the ESC and batt. Also an outlet hole behind the wing, under the fuse. I just cut a hole about 3 in. long and the width of the fuse through the covering.
By the way, there are 3 evergreens and a conifer painted on the side. You can guess why.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Last edited by flypaper 2; May 25, 2013 at 07:12 AM.
Old May 25, 2013, 08:45 PM
Portland, Oregon
Joined Sep 2008
1,590 Posts
Mine is also the yellow one. I've beat it to pieces and patched again and again. Been through four motors. Just a great fun plane.