HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by kokopropelli, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 01:17 PM
Tally Ho!
The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2006
4,132 Posts
Great video !!

And to answer Wga22,. I would not know.
kusunokimasahige is offline Find More Posts by kusunokimasahige
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2013, 01:26 PM
Tally Ho!
The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2006
4,132 Posts
Enjoy :

uav_in_aerial_archaeology (4 min 1 sec)
Old Jul 14, 2013, 11:02 PM
Crash....Fix......repeat.
United States, UT, Eagle Mountain
Joined Jan 2012
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kusunokimasahige View Post

WOW! Very cool video! So is the ground actually depressed where the walls were? or does that crop just not grow very well where the walls were?
kokopropelli is offline Find More Posts by kokopropelli
Old Jul 15, 2013, 06:22 AM
Tally Ho!
The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2006
4,132 Posts
The crop is not growing too well where the walls were.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 12:49 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,371 Posts
As a result of looking on Google Earth to check my mountain bike ride that day, I noticed a straight line on what appeared to be a path across some low hills...
Blogged the results of the investigation..
I'd thought the idea of water being pumped from Little Rock Dam to the Fin & Feather Lake in Palmdale was just so much blowharding... it isn't!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=1720
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Sep 14, 2013, 10:53 AM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,371 Posts
Some views of the culvert and the area..
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Sep 23, 2013, 06:50 AM
Joined Jan 2012
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky Paul View Post
As a result of looking on Google Earth to check my mountain bike ride that day, I noticed a straight line on what appeared to be a path across some low hills...
Blogged the results of the investigation..
I'd thought the idea of water being pumped from Little Rock Dam to the Fin & Feather Lake in Palmdale was just so much blowharding... it isn't!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=1720
Very Cool! I've often come across weird features on Google Earth and thought....what the heck is that?? Its fun to go out, find and photograph these features, especially if they are historic in nature. There's lots out there, more than people realize!
Old Oct 03, 2013, 09:35 PM
United States, WI, Madison
Joined Sep 2013
5 Posts
Thanks for sharing this type of information. We are hoping to start documenting some of the Native American effigy mound sites here in the state of Wisconsin over the next year. Initially we'll be using a low-end quadcopter, with the hope being that we can secure funding for a solution with more aerial video and image spacific components (hexcopter with a brushless gimbal, FVP gear).

Ancient Earthworks Society
toinewi is offline Find More Posts by toinewi
Old Oct 03, 2013, 09:44 PM
Joined Sep 2013
5 Posts
Thanks for sharing this type of information. We are hoping to start documenting some of the Native American effigy mound sites here in the state of Wisconsin over the next year. Initially we'll be using a low-end quadcopter, with the hope being that we can secure funding for a solution with more aerial video and image spacific components (hexcopter with a brushless gimbal, FVP gear).

Old Oct 04, 2013, 07:38 PM
United States, HI, Waimea
Joined Feb 2013
555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toinewi View Post

A good guy to touch base with is Mark Willis in Austin, Texas. He's been doing aerial archaeology using a mixture of kites, balloons, blimps, planes, multirotors, poles, etc. for years. He's tried a bunch of things, and can give you some ideas of which work better than others. He does a lot of 3D modeling of Native American sites in the southern US. I had the good fortune to work with a colleague of his to collect data for a site out here in Hawaii. He's a good guy to talk to.

Alibates National Monument UAV Mapping - Sample Animation (2 min 16 sec)

Tom
benedict is offline Find More Posts by benedict
Old Oct 18, 2013, 06:01 PM
Joined Sep 2013
5 Posts
Thank you SO much for introducing me to Mark Willis' work. That is exactly what we would hope to one day achieve.
Old Mar 03, 2014, 12:58 PM
Lift is cheap - Drag sucks
Socorro, NM
Joined Jul 2004
3,613 Posts
Aerial Artifact Location

A while back I was doing ground survey with 3 archaeologists. One of them picked up a nondescript looking circle of wire with a decorative piece of iron brazed to it. Nobody knew what to make of it, so it was photographed (photo1) and returned to approximately where it was found.

When the photo was circulated we got an immediate response - it's a Barbada de Argollo from a circular bit used by Spanish Colonial horsemen. Well duh! That's what we were looking for - Spanish Colonial artifacts. The problem was the archaeologists doubted the validity of the site, so just passed over it.

We are making plans to go back and recover the artifact. It's on government land so there's paper work and process to go through. But, it occured to me that we had done an aerial survey of that area the year before. The artifact might show up in one of the images. The wire is at the limit of resolution, but high contrast items tend to spread over more than one pixel as the airplane moves. I plotted the flight path on ArcMap and found that it crossed the recorded coordinates at image #125. I enlarged the image 10X and there it was - in situ as they say.

The full frame of the photo #2 is 75 feet. The projected pixel size is .225 inches. The camera moves .48 inches with the lense open. Counting pixels the object is about 6.75 inches across and the wire is something less than .2 inches. So, I believe the photo is of the artifact in place. The detailed image is at the full resolution of the photo.

Tom
Tom Harper is online now Find More Posts by Tom Harper
Last edited by Tom Harper; Mar 03, 2014 at 01:02 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Mar 03, 2014, 05:18 PM
Tally Ho!
The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2006
4,132 Posts
Wow that is a great looking bit !
Old Mar 03, 2014, 06:00 PM
Lift is cheap - Drag sucks
Socorro, NM
Joined Jul 2004
3,613 Posts
Thanks

There is a straight line in the upper left of the full frame image. That may be something related to it. The ring is broken so that is why it was discarded, but it should have had light chains and some decorative bangles. The guy who tossed it may have kept the good stuff or there could be more under the sand.

Tom
Tom Harper is online now Find More Posts by Tom Harper
Old Mar 03, 2014, 10:25 PM
Joined Jan 2012
451 Posts
Wow....what a find! I'd be curious to hear if anything else is found associated with it. Any idea who or what it might be associated with? Nearby road/trading route, settlement..etc etc.