Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 05, 2013, 05:11 PM
March UK
Joined Jan 2011
111 Posts
Discussion
Morback 34" F3P Help

Not sure if this is the right thread but it is a scratch built foamie, just finished and maidened. The flight was unusual to say the least. wind speed about 10 mph up and down. The main problem i had was when i banked to turn either way it would nose up and not turn, only turns i could do were flat rudder turns. I have flown numerous aircraft over several years and never had this happen. Any Idea's would be much appreciated.
Motor 2204-14t, 8 x 4 prop, 2 x 5g tp servos, 1 x 9 g tp servo, closed loop elevator, Auw 196grams.
pilotCEC is offline Find More Posts by pilotCEC
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2013, 08:23 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Australia, QLD, Little Mountain
Joined Feb 2010
4,209 Posts
Sounds like aileron-induced-adverse-yaw.
Check the aileron differential. Has the 'down' aileron more deflection than the 'up' aileron?
Whiskers is online now Find More Posts by Whiskers
Old Jan 06, 2013, 08:20 AM
March UK
Joined Jan 2011
111 Posts
Hi Whiskers thanks for the reply just measured the deflection up aileron has 2 1/2 inch down has 2 inch.

Regards Colin
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2013, 03:20 PM
Joined Feb 2010
4,209 Posts
Well that shoots down that idea.
I can't get a clear picture from, when i banked to turn either way it would nose up and not turn, only turns i could do were flat rudder turns.
It's normal for this type of plane to not turn when banked. It's needed so it can do nice axial rolls.
Bank and yank turns work though.
Are you saying that bank plus up-elevator does not produce a turn?
Old Jan 06, 2013, 05:00 PM
March UK
Joined Jan 2011
111 Posts
Hi
Yes when i bank and add up elevator it will not turn but goes into a sort of knife edge climb, i moved the cog forward a bit seemed to calm it down a tad.Looked at a few videos of the morback not many about and noticed that most turns seem to be on the rudder. Have only been back into the hobby for just over a year after a lay off for 15years so this 3D stuff is quite new to me and flying foamies is quite a bit different to nitro.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2013, 07:31 PM
Joined Feb 2010
4,209 Posts
So a bank in either direction causes the flight-line go up?
What does an attempted slow roll end up looking like?
Just trying to feed data into my necktop computer here...
Old Jan 07, 2013, 01:43 PM
March UK
Joined Jan 2011
111 Posts
Hi
On the first one yes flight-line does go up.
Didn't try any slow rolls as i was trying to keep it in some sort of control wind was a bit gusty maybe to much for a sub 7oz (196.5gms) plane?. But slow flight i was very impressed with had to almost cut throttle to bring it down. Will be giving it another flight and take more note as to what it is doing and try to get some video of it my keychain cam let me down on this flight. Thanks for your input will get back when i've flown it again weather permitting not very good here in the UK atm.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 07, 2013, 02:21 PM
Joined Feb 2010
4,209 Posts
I looked at some video of the Morback being flown (very well) indoors and noticed that it needed a bit of top-rudder to keep the nose up when banking. Exactly as is normal.
Something weird is going on with your plane and I am really interested to find out what is going on.
I mean, there are Laws of Aerodynamics! Your plane is a lawbreaker...
Old Jan 07, 2013, 02:56 PM
March UK
Joined Jan 2011
111 Posts
will post some more when i get to fly it again thanks again for the input given me food for thought
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:18 PM
March UK
Joined Jan 2011
111 Posts
Flew the Morback and got some video as can be heard wind is very gusty still not able to trim out properly aileron turns do seem to need a bit of rudder to instigate turns.
Morback F3P (4 min 31 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:03 PM
Joined Feb 2010
4,209 Posts
That looks fine to me.
You may be trying to turn with too little bank. In the vid when you did a near vertical bank and yank she went around really well. Another time I noticed you let up on the bank too early and it, naturally, straightened out.
Nice straight roll too. It'll be fun on a calm day.
Last edited by Whiskers; Jan 12, 2013 at 07:15 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:09 PM
March UK
Joined Jan 2011
111 Posts
Thanks for the input bit of a handfull with that wind am looking forward to some calm weather to fly this in as you say should be a lot of fun.
Colin
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 24, 2014, 02:31 AM
Joined Mar 2014
3 Posts
I've found that my morback turns really well using the rudder.it turns quite tight on high rate I'm having problems with the weight and the cg to make it fly good inverted I'm getting some lighter carbon hope that helps
GROMMET12 is offline Find More Posts by GROMMET12