HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 22, 2012, 08:06 PM
Joined Oct 2012
6 Posts
Help!
DH 9117 delayed rudder response

Hi folks!
First post here and I'm needing a little help...
I have just received my brand new DH9117 and have already put some flights and mods on it (MOPS bypass and some nose weight added). I also trimmed it (mechanically on the push-rods) and it hovers quite well. The only issue I'm having is with rudder right control response. The response is delayed and erratic and sometimes it takes like 2 seconds for the heli to turn (even to full stick). Let rudder control is perfect, very responsive, no hesitation. Left turn rate is also much higher (faster)
Does anybody have an idea of what could be causing it? No crashes at all on this bird, stock battery (new 1500mAh li-po on the way)
Thanks a lot
Ronaldo
ronaldopn is offline Find More Posts by ronaldopn
Last edited by ronaldopn; Oct 22, 2012 at 09:08 PM. Reason: corrected direction
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:45 AM
Joined Oct 2012
6 Posts
I performed the following test yesterday:
For take-off I put full rudder stick to the left and increased throttle slowly. The heli started to spin quickly and took off still spinning rapidly. I repeated the same procedure with right rudder. The heli started to spin rapidly but slowed down as the throttle increased. When the heli left the ground it was not spinning at all just hovering even with full stick to the right.
To me it looks like most of the current is being drawn by the main motor during flight leaving very few current left to the tail motor. This made even more sense when I thought about rotor direction. Left turns (counter clockwise viewed from top) require less tail motor as tail rotor speed must be reduced to allow main rotor torque to act more.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:34 PM
Joined Oct 2012
6 Posts
Last troubleshooting performed. Removed the main motor plug from PCB board and tested rudder control. Absolutely no hesitation from either side, even full throttle. This made me conclude that PCB board, tail rotor and transmitter are working properly. I hope the 1500mAh lipo battery solves this issue by supplying more current to tail motor.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 02:28 PM
Joined Oct 2012
6 Posts
Put a 7.4V 2100mAh Lipo and problem persists, I think tail motor is just too weak for it (design issue). Iím trying to find a stronger motor but donít see myself spending much more money trying to fix itÖ
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:49 PM
Joined Oct 2012
6 Posts
Fixed it!!!! Design issue solved the simplest way possible!!!! Nothing wrong with battery, motor or any electronics...
Old Nov 01, 2012, 05:28 PM
Joined Oct 2012
11 Posts
What did you find or do to fix it?
Chaplin is offline Find More Posts by Chaplin
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:14 AM
Joined Dec 2012
1 Posts
I have the same problem of my dh9117. I hope you can share what did you do to fix it.
Thanks...
kupanjjj is offline Find More Posts by kupanjjj
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:25 AM
AMA 994002
United States, RI, Westerly
Joined May 2012
1,050 Posts
You wanna be REAL careful going much over 1500maH on these birds...those brushed motors can't take that kind of current.
matiac is offline Find More Posts by matiac
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stability issue
Old Dec 09, 2012, 03:49 PM
Joined Oct 2012
11 Posts
Yep
Chaplin is offline Find More Posts by Chaplin
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:43 PM
AMA 994002
United States, RI, Westerly
Joined May 2012
1,050 Posts
Haven't flown my 9117 yet, just popped it outta the box today, but I've always noticed with my 9104 that it too would turn left easier than right, unless I backed off full throttle, then it would turn right as it would left. Today while spooling it I noticed that for a right turn the tail rotor would almost completely stop (under 1/3 throttle) and kinda sluggishly turn, while the left turn was a LOT more responsive, i.e., it spun RIGHT around. Isn't the MOPS circuit for overheat protection? Don't rightly know that I would eliminate that function, especially with these already overworked brushed motors??
matiac is offline Find More Posts by matiac
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stability issue