HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 19, 2012, 03:53 AM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
Discussion
Where is best source for bi-directional and colored tape

Wow, this tape ain't cheap!!! I guess I can do without the colored tape but I do need the bi-directional. Who's a good supplier? thank's, Dave..can I use monokote or ultrakote over the laminite?
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2012, 06:12 AM
United States, MD, Cambridge
Joined Jan 2011
403 Posts
I placed my last order for bi-directional and colored packing tape at http://www.tapebrothers.com. Not sure why I went with them, it's been a while. I assume because they're the cheapest I found at the time. The colored tape and bi-directional tape are good quality, I've used it on a few planes. The patterned tape I ordered (checkered and leopard) sucked though, the patterns rubbed right off after getting a bit wet.

Not sure about Monokote or Ultracote over lam, but I imagine that'd add a ton of weight. I've used lam and colored tape over top of that, like on my X-22:

It doesn't look quite as nice, but for the reduced weight and cost, it's well worth it. Just remember to tack it down some with your covering iron.
fnffishcore is offline Find More Posts by fnffishcore
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:53 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,209 Posts
I used these guys for an assortment of colored and am happy with it:
http://www.fast-pack.com/colored_tape.html

I like the 3M bi-directional better than what I got from them but it doesn't hold up to UV at all unless covered. I don't know if theirs does as I haven't compared.
flydiver is online now Find More Posts by flydiver
Old Oct 19, 2012, 06:41 PM
United States, NY, Hamburg
Joined Aug 2004
196 Posts
+1 on fast-pack. good guys to deal with and cheap. fast shipping too. i prefer the 3M extreme tape cuz it sticks like no other tape does to epp. its a little pricey, but worth the strength. found mine at home depot.
nuttcase21 is offline Find More Posts by nuttcase21
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:02 PM